Taiwan is like

To be fair, if I were back in NZ, I’d be saying the same thing about that place too.

New Zealand is like a retirement village. Great place to visit, but you sure as heck don’t want to live there unless you are too old to do anything for yourself.

See, It works for home too.

Fair enough but you can’t always expect reward for what you do. :ponder:
Taiwan is like a beer served on the rocks.

Such negativity.

Taiwan is like my wife. I find a lot of things to complain about, but I still love her.

Brian

Taiwan is like a maze that has no exit.

This from the guy who thought Michael Moore being fat warranted a thread.[/quote]

Tetsuo, if you feel so strongly about this, ask that guy why he started the MM fat thread. It’s a good question. SMILE[/quote]

Maybe y’all should start your own thread on why people start threads.

Taiwan is 99.99% like every place else, and 0.01% different. But that 0.01% difference sure is grand!

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Such negativity.

Taiwan is like my wife. I find a lot of things to complain about, but I still love her.

Brian[/quote]

I agree with the negativity thing. I think I made myself sick through constantly making excuses for the place. Really, I’d defend Taiwan all the time. Then one day I thought, “wait a minute, they are right, listen to yourself man. This situation really is insaine, why are you trying to defend this place. If it’s wrong it’s wrong.” Then I felt much better.

Funny thing is how it happened. I hate eating noodles with chopsticks and was getting a cramped hand from doing so. A whole heap of noodles fell out of the bowl onto the floor. For some strange reason that broke the camels back. I let rip with a constant flow of pent up complaints about this place. It’s not like Taiwan was at fault for me dropping my dinner, but it was a catalyst for opening pandora’s box and letting me listen to how I really felt.

This thread is the result of the following few weeks of not making any excuses for Taiwan and getting the rest of the bile out. I didn’t intend for the thread to be nasty to Taiwan, but I had to get it out somewhere public and somewhere where I couldn’t hide it or take it back. That is the real reason for this thread. Release. If I want to move on and make the most out of this place I have to get the garbage out, and sadly, this is the only English environment I have to vent in. Sorry if you feel slimed by this, but I hope that people will understand that this is what Taiwan can do to you if you let it. You know what I mean?

Taiwan is like riding a bicycle. You don’t fall off unless you plan to stop peddling.

Taiwan is like a poem without a rhyme.

But after you angrily tossed the book in the corner,
you find yourself picking it up again
and wondering why the story was so damned touching.

Taiwan… It

Yes. No apologies required.

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]Such negativity.

Brian[/quote]
Yeah, living in a foreign place can be compared with or thought of as a marriage. (Not that I’d know what it’s like to be married 'cause I’ve never been married. Ever.) Once you’ve lived in a place long enough and the excitment that first brought you to the place wears off, you’re bound to start finding faults about that place and start wondering what the hell were you thinking. I can say the same thing about New York City, too. I hate it when I am there but I miss it when I am not. It’s just the way it is. You can’t have your cake and eat it, too. Nothing is perfect. You just manage to find a balance. Sometimes, I see foreigners talk about how great Taiwan is, and I’m like either he’s lying or he’s crazy or he’s simply new to the place. There’s definitely room for Taiwan to improve, makes no mistakes about it and in some cases a lot of room. I understand you just needed to vent, Bassman, I hope you feel better now. Cheers.

Taiwan is like I imagine a prison farm would be.

You arrive and start your sentance.

You also know there are no fences but escape is not easy.

You know eventually you will leave through the same gate you came in and the warden will stamp your pardon.

(This was me for the first year or two or three)

a stray dog wandering around alone because no one will let her in. :frowning:

Oh, I forgot to say that Taiwan is home. Home sweet home. :sunglasses:

Smerf, you can come play with Hefty! :bouncy:

…Dave’s girl

[size=18]Taiwan is like mushrooms. You eat it while pretending it is not mere fungi.

Taiwan is like the post-haircut sensation. You need time to get used to it.

Taiwan is like a vicious cycle that is being pedaled to death.

Taiwan is like a certified patient who is on a weekend leave but never returns.

Taiwan is like a Shakespearean-era poet trying to look cool with a super-duper laptop slung around his hip-hugger jeans.

Taiwan to me, is almost home. Home I guess is where my passeport was issued. I’ve been here long enough to go through my own phases and I still like it dearly. I’m not crazy or lying. Sometimes it aggravates me and sometimes it soothes me. Much like home.

I know hatch! You’re just a sweet-heart! Taiwan welcomes a foreigner like you with open arms! :bouncy:

So lets see now, your passport expires and you get a new onw issued in Iraq… does that make Iraq your new home?

So lets see now, your passport expires and you get a new onw issued in Iraq… does that make Iraq your new home?[/quote]

Only the place where I came from will grant me a passeport. That’s too bad. :wink: