Taiwan is not as safe as it used to be

Nada in nearly 30 years.
Been to all kinds of clubs in the early days.
Other person: 這是我的位子!
Me: 啊不好意思,對不起 (politely bowing head and slowly moving backwards)

Heard too many stories of other foreigners not taking this subtle hint.

And, er, HOW were they smuggling the gerbils?

Statiscly Taiwan is less safe then where I am from. But yeah if you are like from the US, it’s probably considered supersafe here.

Just there is also a lot of crazy stuff going on, people hacking off heads of their girlfriend, stabbing a policemen in xinyi in his mouth, stabbing in the mrt, stabbing a family mart clerk, killing a landlord because can not meet the rent, killing a random child in the middle of road in front of the mother,… As a tourist or short termer, you won’t notice that but over the years I have read a lot of crazy stuff going on here …

1 Like

You can only be from Dubai or Munich.

and that kind of crazy staff going on everywhere

that guy watches too much TV

? I think, but I might be wrong, there are a number of places in east Asia safer than Taiwan, E.g. japan and hk

Not much of a difference unless you mean traffic.

hong kong? i don’t think so. japan, maybe. apart from that what else? south korea maybe or singapore(not technically east asia) but that’s about the end of the list. i’d say taiwan is still in a top 5 position for safest countries in the world

Not a chance. There are way more drunk people out at night in Japan.

Korea has more stabbings.

hmm, you got any stats? I remember reading that HK has about half the homicide rate of what we have in Taiwan and Japan is even lower.

Here is some stats as well https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate

1 Like

That’s just homicide. Here are stats: Numbeo.com: Taipei third safest city in the world | Taiwan News | 2017-04-24 21:57:00

Note: Abu Dhabi, not Dubai. Sorry.

A Korean and Japanese explain in this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN5eUX-Gh64

They say Asian drive-by shootings: The most dangerous part is the driving.

2 Likes

Numbeo, the source of that article, used surveys of their website users to compile that list. So, that would be perceived crime and not necessarily actual crime

Read here how the index is compiled

https://www.numbeo.com/crime/indices_explained.jsp

You got any stats, other than what numbeos website users think what the crime level is

Government administrative data is self-reported as well.

So, that is true. But, how common is it that homicide(and other violent crime) doesn’t get reported ? And why would there be a huge discrepancy between advanced countries how many homicides(and other violent crime) are reported ?

Some numbers from OSAC

Japan’s national crime rate is well below the U.S. national average. Recent statistics indicate that there is an average of three robberies per 100,000 individuals. Crime in Tokyo appears to be decreasing – with 31,044 crimes reported in 2016 compared to 38,848 crimes reported in 2012. Despite the relatively low rate of crime, however, criminal activity does still occur.

Ranking by Legatum Institute

Safety and security
1st is Norway, 2nd is Japan. Taiwan is not listed?

we have this sort of violence here. No idea whats up yet on this.
she was just 22 and just graduated from police academy.

So sad. Doing her bit to help the public in a relatively safe college town of DAvis.