Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

I wonder if this wave of citizenships for elderly clericals is being coordinated with the implementation of the new long-term care and hospice systems. It could be a coincidence, but maybe not.

Wonderful, now they can all legally protest against marriage equality and civil rights along with the rest of their brethren.

To be fair many of these men and women gave their whole lives working on quite difficult projects and in difficult circumstances when Taiwan was a third world country.
They were working with lepers, orphans, widows, disabled people , victims of black leg disease…You name it . They also setup a lot of decent hospitals . Imagine the loneliness and challenges they had.

I don’t begrudge them anything BUT I do have a problem with the lack of citizenship announcements for what was supposed to be encouraging professional immigration to Taiwan !

I’m also wondering if non Catholics have been granted this yet for charitable works?

I do smell a hint of desperation from ROC govt with very rapid pumping out of these IDs suddenly to get the Vatican onside. Taiwan or should I say Tsais govt cannot afford to lose the Vatican support right now.

I’m also not sure what they are actually receiving in many of these pronouncements , are they receiving the full IDs or certificate of naturalisation or or waiver document or what?
Do they need to wait another year in the country without exiting?

5 Likes

I would like to know who is behind these decisions. There seems to be a “queue” of worthy foreigners, who must be granted citizenship in order. Who’s drawing up this list, and are they Catholic?

1 Like

Giving citizenship to people in their 70s, 80s, 90s only so far. What does that tell you? They don’t want the gene pool “polluted” ?

Political BS-ing what may have started as a good idea.

3 Likes

Still, it would be nice to have some concrete information on this.

Took a ride on the same boat as tommy. Born before 1980 to a Taiwan mother, IN TAIWAN! I have more family here on my mother’s side than I do in the States on my father’s side. And my mother has dual TW/US citizenship. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

From my understading, they chose 1980 because the law changed in 2000 to allow the government to recognized the mother’s nationality in regards to the child. And in 2000, kids that were born in 1980 or later (20 years old or younger) would still be considered dependents of their parents and therefore grandfathered into the new law.

So they will not grant you citizenship because you were born in Taiwan before 1980? That is a weird rule.

Before 2000, TW only recognized the father’s nationality. My father is a US citizen.

Blood rights vs birthrights. Even though I was born in Taiwan, I was born in an American Naval hospital so it was considered American soil. I’m a natural-born American citizen…born in Taiwan.

“In the original version of the law nationality could only be passed from father to child. However, the law was revised in 2000 to allow citizenship to be passed on from either parent, taking effect on those born after February 9, 1980 (those under age 20 at the time of the promulgation).”

That is so weird man… And there is no way to change this through your mothers nationality???

I once heard a child can only be considered Jewish by being born to a Jewish mother.

“Jewish by birth. … Accordingly, if the mother is Jewish, so is her child, and if she is not Jewish, neither is her child considered Jewish.”

I only missed the cut by 4 years…

The concept is basically paternity is a matter of opinion, maternity a matter of fact.

The real poser for traditionalists is what to do when the father is Jewish and the mother Muslim (i.e. neither community recognizes the child).

One can always convert to either religion. In the case of Islam this is not difficult at all.

BTW, the matriline rule applies only to Orthodox Judaism. Conservative and Reform have different (and mostly more lenient) rules. The State of Israel has yet another set of rules for determining who is Jewish.

The “always” is not universally agreed upon.

In the above example, it’s the same principle as in the old nationality law: the wife is subordinate to the husband, ergo she adopts the husband’s religion/nationality.

Taiwan is not big country like Canada or America so ok???!!! we don’t have such big land ok and all foreigner boy have such nice life in Taiwan just drnk beer and play girl in night club. so disgusting !!:sob:

Your foreign English teacher was bad. We all can see that.
Sorry about that!

1 Like

I don’t have foreigner English teacher ookkkkkk!!! sorry for that ok!!! Speak Chinese ok??? can !!!

Ok then!
Taiwanese English teachers are the worst.
That’s obvious!
Sorry your Taiwanese English teacher sucked.

1 Like

(Slow clap.)