Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

What is the process involved.

Need 5 years residence and above?
Do you first need to apply for the 歸化中華民國證?

From Facebook, a great idea. Substitutes the ever popular 我不是美國人.

6 Likes

I’m looking for the text of the article 9 section 4 or whatever it’s called.

English or Chinese…where can I read it since it’s already been passed into law?

I’m guessing they haven’t got shit set-up yet. Let the fun begin. Talk about a GREY area.

I’ve actually started the process of applying to 歸化 and would renounce and reapply for original citizenship. It is proving to be a slow process as the MOI ask for a lot of stuff that I thought they didn’t need anymore.

Now I’m wondering how this one works so I could try this route and not go through the hassle of renouncing/reapplying.

Basically WHAT ARE THE CRITERIA that will be applied!
Who will do the reviewing?
How long will it take?
Where are the application forms?

Try getting a straight answer to the criteria part (it’s a rhetorical question, I don’t expect them to give a straight answer…)

The citizenship law changes have been decades in the works.

Over 50 years for some.

Damn RIGHT they are impatient!!! They’be dead and buried first!!

What stuff are they asking from you that ypu thought had been scrapped? Please let us know. It is important.

Looked into my court records even though I have a clean police record.

We all take pay cuts for certain locations. I am not making six figures (US dollars) like I did with my last job…but I am still making a professional salary and it is in the south of France.

Taking a pay cut to get experience makes sense in Taiwan in your 20s…many marry locally and build upon their experiences in Taiwan, so that they get something reasonable in Taiwan their 40s…but that networking takes time --many years, even decades. The expats who come in their older years (such as the examples Icon gives above) and settle for a quarter, and the lack of good holidays, defined pensions etc. are crazy unless they have family money and value exotic locales, other cultures, etc. The one benefit for Taiwan is stock – no capital gains etc. Overall though – fun for work when you`re young, not so fun if you are starting entry level older!

It’s irrelevant why they are here.

1 Like

The key (newly released according to the news report) is 高級專業人才之認定標準, which should be on the MOI’s website, which isn’t loading right now.

The part of the law you’re thinking of is actually from Dec 21st last year.

http://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?PCode=D0030001

Nationality Act Art. 9 Par. 4 and 5:

Foreign nationals may be exempted from submitting a certificate of loss of original nationality if any of the following circumstances apply:

1. They apply for naturalization pursuant to Article 6.
  2. They are high-level professionals in the technological, economic, educational, cultural, art, sports, or other domains who have been recommended by the central competent authority, whose specialties are deemed to serve the interests of the ROC, and who have been approved through a joint review organized by the Ministry of the Interior and conducted by relevant agencies and impartial individuals.
  3. They are unable to obtain a certificate of loss of original nationality for reasons not attributable to them.
    Standards to define high-level professionals as referred to in Subparagraph 2 of the preceding paragraph shall be prescribed by the Ministry of the Interior.

國籍法第9條第4項及第5項

外國人符合下列情形之一者,免提出喪失原有國籍證明:
一、依第六條規定申請歸化。
二、由中央目的事業主管機關推薦科技、經濟、教育、文化、藝術、體育及其他領域之高級專業人才,有助中華民國利益,並經內政部邀請社會公正人士及相關機關共同審核通過。
三、因非可歸責於當事人之事由,致無法取得喪失原有國籍證明。
前項第二款所定 高級專業人才之認定標準 ,由內政部定之。

You mean they wanted to know everything, even civil cases? I suppose that makes some sense. Having a clean criminal record and being of good moral character don’t always go together.

Yes they wanted to look at the details of a civil case I was involved in even though I have provided them the non police record certificate. The case was abandoned or lost (or whatever the legal term is).
Anybody can be sued for anything so I’m not sure of the relevance to be honest. Being sued doesn’t mean anything of itself. The person doing the suing is often of dubious moral character.
I couldn’t find the clause where they mentioned they would do this in the application form.

Confucian theory holds that both parties to a conflict are somewhat right :smiley:

Here it is:
http://gazette.nat.gov.tw/EG_FileManager/eguploadpub/eg023054/ch02/type1/gov10/num1/Eg.htm

Note also the links at the bottom to the application form and the 說明.

1 Like

My reaction/opinion:

Ayioo. that is too much. Hang in there.

Guys, this is a good one:

An old friend and mentor of mine still likes to say that I quit a journalism degree 20 years ago because I didn’t like talking to people on the phone. Like the work of our mutual hero, Ryszard Kapuściński, this claim lurks in an anteroom between reality and fiction: I never minded talking to people – I just didn’t like calling them.

And even that’s not completely true. There was a certain type that I never had any hesitation in calling: the rent-a-quote, a purveyor of made-to-order sound bites. This, you understand, was an innocent age of red-top tabloid sensationalism, where click-bait sounded like a fishing innovation and social-media-level dissemination of fake news was nary a glint in Rupert Murdoch’s beady eye.

As we chat over our bowls of stinky tofu soup, Matt is doing a good impression of one of these cliché generators. “My heart is bleeding,” he says. “It’s like Taiwan is cheating on me with the first guy off the boat.”

We’re discussing the announcement that foreigners will no longer have to renounce citizenship from their country of origin to gain Taiwanese nationality. This should have been a cause for celebration. For years, expats have been railing against the double standard that allows Taiwanese to hold two passports. Now, at last, it seemed the government had taken heed and acted.

…“This is worse than if they just left the old rules in place,” says Matt, echoing JC’s point. “Before it was the same for everyone. It was just Taiwan-born and foreigners. Now they have split the foreigners into groups, saying some aren’t good enough. Even if I did qualify, I would still be mad, because it’s completely unfair.” This last observation chimes with points made by Taiwan blogger Jenna Cody.

You won’t find anyone more integrated than me,” Matt says. “Everything I buy is made in Taiwan. Look at these shoes, this phone,” – he holds up his HTC – “trust me, you won’t find many people like me here.” He shakes his head as he spoons boiled cabbage into his bowl. “And now, basically some guy who just comes to do some research – some guy who doesn’t > actually give a shit about Taiwan – he can get citizenship just like that.”

What about us Taiwan-born foreigners?!

2 Likes

Now that you mention that, indeed, what about them? Somewhere down the line their right of abode should be more sopecific, insted of the trials they go under now as kids must scramble to find jobs before they get kicked out.

Another halfway measure, if you ask me.

[quote=“Icon, post:2, topic:159031”]
This is one hell of a loophole:

“The arts and culture category includes those who received recognition from distinguished institutions. . . .”[/quote]

I think we should create a distinguished institution from which we can receive recognition.

1 Like

“You won’t find anyone more integrated than me,” Matt says. “Everything I buy is made in Taiwan. Look at these shoes, this phone,” – he holds up his HTC – “trust me, you won’t find many people like me here.” He shakes his head as he spoons boiled cabbage into his bowl. “And now, basically some guy who just comes to do some research – some guy who doesn’t > actually give a shit about Taiwan – he can get citizenship just like that.””

I’m actually happy a guy as vile, petty and jealous as Matt does not qualify. Why would someone who comes to Taiwan as a researcher at Academia Sinica or a professor at a university not care about Taiwan? This is quite an insult thrown at the many foreign academics teaching and researching at Taiwanese universities and contributing to the country.
Furthermore, the same residence requirements (3 years for those married to locals, 5 and more years in other cases) would still apply - it’s not as if someone who is fresh off the boat will simply be given a passport.
How about campaigning for positive change rather than insulting other foreign residents? The law has become more relaxed in recent years and that is what matters.

2 Likes

If the same requirements apply, then no problem. As I said, o hay pa’todos… The issue everyone has is that the law si so grey it leaves a loophole the size of the English Tunnel, which can be wielded arbitrarily. That is an issue.

I don’t know how this development is going to pan out for people here (and I’m too old and too far out of the running for this sort of thing), but it’s certainly interesting. Interesting topic! It’ll be nice if some folks get the benefit out of this new measure.