Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

That’s true, but in terms of time spent, that is high risk of wasted time. It is high reward if it works but nobody knows what to even do unless you are high profile.

1 Like

20 years. We got 6 in the office.

30 years. We got 3.

Anybody who’s been here legally for a decade should be given citizenship automatically.

6 Likes

Including Taiwan Flag Tattoo guy?

Has he been here legally for ten years?

He can tattoo ‘approved citizen’ on his chin.

4 Likes

I believe each ministry has their own requirements but this is something that I’ve heard as well.

That’s wild that they rejected someone with your profile. I don’t have even half your experience/seniority/accomplishments, so no need for me to even consider this madness.

Or at least, like, a free guabao

3 Likes

Says 14

OK, automatic citizenship for anybody who’s been here a decade without setting a convenience store on fire. :grin:

4 Likes

years legally in jail are counted?

I’d have to say no.

1 Like

Not unless you work there.

Believe it or not, they took the time to spell out some regulations for time that doesn’t count … but being in jail isn’t explicitly mentioned :wink:

https://law.moj.gov.tw/Eng/LawClass/LawSearchContent.aspx?pcode=D0030022&norge=5

Oddly, it includes times when you are helping the law, or something has gone wrong for you:

1. Where an applicant has a labor dispute, which has been under litigation proceedings.
  2. Where an applicant suffers an occupational disaster and requires medical treatment.
  3. Where the applicant is the victim or witness of a criminal case.
  4. Where the applicant is a dependent of persons referred to in the preceding seven Subparagraphs.

This is weird:

“4. Where an applicant has lost the nationality of his/her country of origin, has not acquired the nationality of the ROC, and is waiting for nationality restoration of his/her country of origin.”

It doesn’t count before but afterwards you have to!

The law has the bloody Kuomintang’s hands all over it.

They punish you for complaining. Typical dictatorship crap.

Are you a victim? Keep quiet. You could be embarassing a local official.

2 Likes

Well this probably doesn’t help our cause too much. :open_mouth:

1 Like

Did he renounce his Iranian passport? :thinking:

At least he didn’t help Kim Jong - un.

1 Like