Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

And other regulations outside of that law.

1 Like

My point is you can work on a TARC without a permit after you naturalise. This is what the law says. That’s my point, all the other terminology is irrelevant.

Well according to Ministry of Interior, Ministry of Labor and Household Registration Office, I can’t. And National Immigration Agency will just tell you: “if you don’t require a work permit, your TARC would say so”.

You can only get TARC after you naturalize btw

1 Like

Banks also tell you foreigners can’t get credit cards and I have one :joy:

The law was only updated last year I believe, I wouldn’t be surprised if government offices don’t know anything about it, such is life in Taiwan.

That’s what I’ve been saying….

I have one too. But that’s not the law. They are not the government, they are just racists.

8 Likes

Same here, I have 4.

But banks are not the government…

The government isn’t the law

They just make, uphold and enforce it…

1 Like

How well they do that is a different story. I stand by Article 25, it was specifically updated so that people in the naturalisation process who couldn’t renounce or hadn’t yet could work without a permit.

I tried to find the news article about it to send to you but I can’t find it and am a bit tired of proving something written clearly in black and white.

Hope the process goes smoothly for you!

1 Like

Dude, you’re trying to argue and educate people who have already extensively experienced and researched this, with actual legal professionals as well. You don’t have to take our word for it but we have. We’ve smashed into every wall already. You keep harping on this article, but there is more to it than that. Yes, we speak very simply because it’s more practical and doesn’t confuse the shit out of anyone when explaining things. But we extensively know this process. Feel free to join us but we know that there is more to the law than meets the eye and many government departments have additional regulations. There is no black and white with Taiwanese laws.

There’s me, @frank_hnd, @fifieldt, @Brianjones, @greves, @bananas, @Fuzzy_Barbecue and more. All of us have extensive experience with this. And it’s moot to even argue such things because we still have to renounce or forfeit ROC nationality after a year usually. So this argument is wasteful of our times.

There is ALWAYS fine print in Taiwanese laws. It’s never black and white.

Trust us when we say, been there, done that.

3 Likes

Please prove me wrong then. I am starting the process soon and would love to know my work rights before beginning the process (which I will be soon).

I don’t feel that ‘Xyz at xyz office said xyz’ is evidence as it’s common knowledge government offices here talk out of their arses and often don’t know the actual regulations or don’t care.

Id actually really, really appreciate being proven wrong with paper based, updated, facts. I haven’t found any through my own research, since the act was updated, that after naturalisation a work permit is required.

I’d hate to be in a situation I don’t want to be in but so far no one has responded with facts or proof just here-say and feelings…

Taiwan is not Australia. Not even the government follows the law to a T.

The only way to get the proof you want is to open a lawsuit and get an opinion from a judge. We don’t tell you this because it’s our feelings, but we’ve run into these situations and I don’t have the ability right now to sue the government. One day. But not today. We tell you these things in good faith.

If the Government followed the law, I would’ve not been told I needed a Taiwanese Guarantor at Bank of Taiwan, a GOVERNMENT RUN BANK because i am foreign.

1 Like

Already did, you just don’t want to admit. I’m done arguing with because I don’t want others to have to read through all this nonsense, useless info.

Your work rights will remain the same. Are you married to a TW citizen? if so, your TARC will say you don’t require a work permit like so:

1 Like

Here you go.

Article 79 of the Employment Services Act.

https://law.moj.gov.tw/ENG/LawClass/LawAll.aspx?pcode=N0090001

1 Like

First, data points, with some rough translation.

So, what is now Article 25 in the Foreign Talent Act was originally Article 21:

第二十一條 我國國民兼具外國國籍而未在我國設有戶籍,並持外國護照至我國從事專業工作或尋職者,依本法有關外國專業人才之規定辦理。
In essence: NWOHRs with a foreign passport will be treated as foreigners with respect to the stuff in this act.

It changed number due to modifications to other articles, and this was the reasoning from the Legislative Yuan for the change:
一、條次變更。(article number changed)
二、原條文列為第一項,歸化取得我國國籍且持外國護照至我國從事專業工作者,係依本法有關外國專業人才之規定辦理,基於衡平性及留才攬才之政策目的,爰增訂但書規定,鬆綁外國專業人才經歸化取得我國國籍者,得免申請工作許可。
The original clause 21 content treated naturalised citizens working in Taiwan on their foreign passport as foreigners for the purposes of this law . Based on the principle of equity and the policy of attracting talents, we added to the provision, to relax the regulation for foreign professionals who naturalise , excusing them from applying for a work permit.
三、前開人員持我國護照入國從事專業工作者,依就業服務法第七十九條規定,應依該法有關外國人之規定辦理,為放寬其從事專業工作亦得免申請工作許可,爰增訂第二項規定。
For employees with a Taiwan passport who enter for professional work, with respect to the provisions of Employment Services Act article 79, the provisions for foreigners will be used the matter, this allows relaxation of conditions on professional workers and exempts them from applying for work permits. This provision was added as the second provision

6 Likes

Now, commentary:

• Employment Services Act says NWOHRs need work permits
  • Foreign Talent Act re-defines NWOHRs (who got it through naturalisation) as foreigners for the purposes of the Foreign Talent Act
  • Foreign Talent Act says foreigners don’t need a work permit in certain situations

So, to work out the scope of the exemption probably requires reading the Foreign Talent Act (and supporting acts) carefully to determine the situations where it applies. It’s not universal, since terms like “Foreign Professional” and “Professional Work” are specific terms with a definition.

This is in the weeds for me; hope more qualified people can chime in :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Thanks! @fifieldt

1 Like

math_people

Thanks for the explanation!

I am not surprised when we often get different interpretations from NIA. :joy:

4 Likes

Jesus H Christ I doubt the officials can even understand this.

2 Likes