Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

The ROC does allow dual citizenship…

According to some it doesn’t. I don’t profess to know the law on it. If you can find the statement where multiple citizenships are allowed pls share.

One could have could have 100 citizenships but only have to renounce only the one on his ARC/APRC. In fact… he could even switch it to one that allows him to “resume” such as Australia or one that someone would want to get rid off such as US and then apply for Taiwan citizenship…

I’m talking about native Taiwanese ROC citizens here.

It is only prohibited if you naturalize to become an ROC citizen. In that case, you must give up your old citizenship (with a few exceptions).

I know that one. But I have seen claims that it is technically prohibited for all ROC citizens.

I don’t believe that’s true.

If there is no law against it, it means it’s legal.

To my knowledge, there is no law stating that a Taiwanese would lose their ROC citizenship if they acquired a foreign citizenship.

Show me the law… There is none.

3 Likes

Yes, and by (old citizenship) they mean the one on your ARC/APRC

Right. They don’t make you give up all of your other citizenships if you have others.

Exactly. But it is specifically the one on your ARC

1 Like

The only time I have seen this enforced -and then even with truck wide loopholes - is in the case of government/public officials.

That’s because there are specific laws against certain government officials and military personal from being dual citizens.

To my knowledge those laws don’t apply to the general population.

Yep, and in their case it makes sense because of national security concerns.

The annoying thing, again, is having Taiwanese collect passports like supermarket stickers, while we have to reenact the Odyssey/Aeneid and sever all ties for an uncertain passport that could be taken away from us if we slip up…or not.

9 Likes

Yeah it’s unfair, and very unfortunate.

And that’s coming from a Taiwanese who collects passports like supermarket stickers. I’m up to three now.

2 Likes

I know at least 6 Taiwanese who have 3 passports. Step it up!

3 Likes

Now you can say you know seven. If you can count knowing a random Internet guy as “knowing someone”.

1 Like

Talks about Japan’s case.
China also does not allow dual citizenship, even though there are many of them in US and elsewhere with dual citizenship. XJP even wants people to tattletale on neighbors about this issue.

I have an official letter from MOI that says I get to keep my original citizenship.

3 Likes