Taiwan just (slightly) relaxed Dual Citizenship Rules

yes, but it gives you some more peace of mind. No need to update periodically the ARC with banks or others and, most importantly, the driving licence will expire on your 70th bday like with citizens. That’s so nice not to have to go to DMV every now and then to get a new one.

Tell me this doesn’t mean 70+ year olds aren’t allowed to drive?

You need to renew I guess with a different process, over 75 every 2 years they need to have fitness tests.

3 Likes

So I seen the duel nationality topic has been brought up in the government. I’m wondering though what exactly is being proposed to be changed to article 9 of the Nationality Act (the article that defines where you don’t need to renounce your original nationality).

If anyone could outline the proposed changes it would be much appreciated :slight_smile:

3 Likes

spouse of applicant can also apply for accompanying naturalization at the same time in addition to minor children.

they can also apply for naturalization later.

5 Likes

Still not substantial change, but good for the dependents

1 Like

this is added as the 4th subpsragraph of the 4th paragraph, which says on cases that may be exempted from submitting a certificate of loss of original nationality. I’m not sure it is only for applicants who are in the list, or all applicants. if the fermer, are applicants who are unable to obtain a certificate of loss of original nationality for reasons not attributable to them included?

added:
it is written as the 4th case that may be exempted from submitting a certificate of loss of original nationality. maybe the draft means dependents of applicants who may be exempted from submitting a certificate of loss of original nationality can do accompanying naturalization and they also may be exempted from submitting a certificate of loss of original nationality.

if one of married foreign couple is from a country which doesn’t issue renunciation certificate, both of them may be dual national?

not sure if that is their intention.

1 Like

The latest in the head palm department:

Dunno but even in the old country they can poach athletes by giving them nationality. Heck, if it is soccer to need to apply.

4 Likes

Germany is doing it.

8 Likes
  • Children born in Germany of at least one parent who has been living legally in the country for five or more years will automatically get German citizenship;

I wonder if they include student visa’s. A good German friend of mine who immigrated to Australia was able to use a provision in German law to get get Australian Citizenship and keep German citizenship for himself and his children. Wife is from Indonesia. Once approved he was given two years in which to get the Australian citizenship. A lot of other Germans in Australia were shocked he was allowed dual citizenship.

2 Likes

Is the intention to allow Japanese families immigrate here easier? Feels like there is some reason they aren’t being transparent about.

That’s quite a big concession compared to how stringent they are on the rest of us including APRC working here legally and paying taxes for years and years.

the explanation for the amendment suggests their intention is to allow accompanied naturalization for families of applicants who has made special contributions or high-level professionals, and families of applicants who are unable to obtain a certificate of loss of original nationality for reasons not attributable to them are not included. but the drafted article doesn’t mean so, if I read it correctly.

purely Japanese (or from any countries without renunciation) family’s immigration is already easier. It is more interesting when the couple is a pair of Japanese and British etc, if the amendment means what is drafted literally.

But we poor suckers that are married for a few decades are not eligible without renouncing.

They should stop this idiocy.

8 Likes

I swear every Taiwanese I meet these days has another passport.

7 Likes

Or two or three.

2 Likes

Yes they should change it but they won’t. They do not see any reason to.

How long have you been here? Would you have predicted that Taiwan would pass a same-sex marriage act? Would you have predicted that feminist films about women impacted by White Terror would be produced, screened, discussed? Heaps of changes have happened in Taiwan! This is no guarantee of course that more changes of this type will happen in the future. But they may, especially as the DPP has clearly figured out that this sort of progressive news puts Taiwan on the map, facilitates relations with other democracies, and is simply the right thing to do.

If the KMT takes over again, however, all bets are off. :rofl:

Guy

2 Likes

It won’t a “self-initiated” thing for sure, no one has now the political capital or motif to bet on it.

Someone has to start the spark, and it can be only with an appeal to the judiciary tbh, coz the disparity of treatment of already citizens is apparent and appalling.

Already citizen can do that now, I will for sure gove it a try once naturalised to change this. If anyone wants to do this, lemme know and I can give my insight.

1 Like

Since 1988. As for the claim it facilitates relations with other democracies, I say nonsense. Lots of other democracies also do not allow dual citizenship. Taiwan is already on the map.

ironlady

Oct 2007

[quote=“Satellite TV”]
Instead of petitioning your overseas reps why arent you trying to get together with the ROC partners to ask a legislator here to help you enact cahnges to the laws here?[/quote]

[quote=“ironlady"}
:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
How long have you lived here???

A member already put in a written submission to the government over dual citizenship I believe and it went nowhere. Nice to see you are willing to actually do something while others just do nothing. reminds me of your fights with HSBC and other banks.

There are a few threads on it already.