Taiwan justice system

Well, isn’t such thing of a crime not way too much punished ?
The prisons here must be overcrowded, as in my european country
offenders like that would probably just pay a very little fine …

Thoughts ?

The users here would say “how come he didn’t get a death sentence? Taiwan’s justice system is a joke!!!”

3 Likes

I’m still trying to come to terms with the latest innovation in criminal justice in the west: Trial by Twitter. So far its conviction rate is 110% and mounting a defense is futile because no evidence is required to convict when the new legal standard is guilty until proven innocent. Punishment in the form of public humiliation and career ruination is swift – generally the next day – and no appeal likewise is possible because nobody has yet figured out how to prove a negative when no actual evidence is required for a conviction.

3 Likes

Who’s been convicted?

lol easy now

Twitter’s Jury doesn’t care about who has the burden of proof. What matters is the opinion of whoever gets more likes and retweets.

Taiwan has a bad reputation of not getting tough with phone scammers, so this article is possibly intended to improve Taiwan’s reputation by showing that they do punish phone scammers severely. It’s a public relations effort.

How lenient is Taiwans punishment of Drunk drivers? Cause that seems to be a huge problem here

While you’re busy calling me a spellbound teenager in one thread, here you are in another thread talking about the Court of Public Opinion as if it had been invented a few years ago. :grandpa:

I’d hate to think you’re going senile, Comrade.

Python%20she%20turned%20me%20into%20a%20newt

They didn’t have Twitter back then, grasshopper. Something about the American character will never change though, a penchant for witch hunts and lynchings. It’s always lurking there not far below the surface, waiting for a chance to pop out and go ‘Boo!’

They didn’t need twitter! :wall:

Trial by Twitter has taken witch hunting to a whole new level. How One Stupid Tweet Blew Up Justine Sacco’s Life

You didn’t strike before me as a hippie revisionist, Comrade. Yet it seems to me you want to paint the 20th century as a kind of consequence-free paradise. :rainbow:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UiIXMRdX6ys

So opposing witch hunts is advocating for a “consequence-free paradise”?

:wall:

Someone else’s turn. :slight_smile:

You’ve fallen under Rowland’s spell apparently and are resorting to sophistries and ad hominems to make your case rather than deductive arguments supported by evidence.

(Hey everyone, where’s that post with the Jordan Peterson meme about China?)

Don’t worry, they balance prison filling rate with ignoring other things (traffic, work laws e.t.c).

It’s too lenient, fraud and general swindling are rampant here they only understand punishment not ethics

I’m uncertain if this is the best thread for this topic (mods: please feel free to relocate if you wish). But I wanted to draw attention to a terrific article by long-term resident and contributing reporter for the Taipei Times, Steven Crook. In this remarkable piece (with another to follow), Crook tells the story of Dane Harris, an American who recently spent time in the Pingtung Detention Center. It’s well worth reading.

Guy

3 Likes