Taiwan kiddies and Stranger Danger

Years ago I remember often seeing posters of missing kids outside convenience stores here. Dozens and dozens of tiny passport-sized photos on each one, and they used to be changed regularly – every other month or so. Hundred and hundreds of kids. I don’t see those posters any more, but something tells me the disappearances didn’t just stop.

I always tell my 9 and 11 year old daughters about trusting their gut, adult strangers don’t need to be asking children for directions, etc. But if they won the devil lottery and a stranger tried to yell at them or entice them, all that i told them might still not help. the reason i say this is that lots of times kids get frozen in fear. last summer my daughter saw her friend be punched in the stomach by her father, then the aunt came out yelling and got into a shoving match with him. i ran over and told her to get off their property now. she was just frozen looking at me. i ran over and pulled her away. i told her to remember that feeling and imagine controlling it and running. i told her this was a normal reaction when we are very afraid, but we have to fight it. i let them have freedom within a certain area- they have a cell phone with them and i call periodically to check- but it’s always taking a chance. i used to always go with them everywhere, but when my oldest hit 10, i thought it was time for her (and me) to learn to deal with a limited amount of independence. we live in a small town. when i was little a grew up on a farm surrounded by forest. we were always running wild.

Years ago I remember often seeing posters of missing kids outside convenience stores here. Dozens and dozens of tiny passport-sized photos on each one, and they used to be changed regularly – every other month or so. Hundred and hundreds of kids. I don’t see those posters any more, but something tells me the disappearances didn’t just stop.[/quote]

They hang them in the elementary schools now. :s

Vannyel wrote:

“No cross-town bussing, so most kids go to school locally.”

But surely lots of kids travel miles to school. They move the kids’ household registrations so they can go to school in the “right” area.

[quote=“smithsgj”]Vannyel wrote:

"No cross-town bussing, so most kids go to school locally
."

But surely lots of kids travel miles to school. They move the kids’ household registrations so they can go to school in the “right” area.[/quote]

In High School, some kids travel an hour by bus/train to get to their school.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“smithsgj”]Vannyel wrote:

"No cross-town bussing, so most kids go to school locally
."

But surely lots of kids travel miles to school. They move the kids’ household registrations so they can go to school in the “right” area.[/quote]

In High School, some kids travel an hour by bus/train to get to their school.[/quote]
Or by MRT. And christ! but sometimes they really stink! Ever noticed that? I mean, REALLY stink. Stinky kids. Stinking out the MRT carriage. Stinkers! Eurgh!