Taiwan kills Xmas yet again (2018 edition)

OK, so as you all know we work Xmas day. This year though as a special treat we get to work the Saturday before Xmas (Dec 22) as well. Suggest you all put in your leave applications tout suite.

5 Likes

I really hate make-up Saturdays! Means we get to work 11 out of 12 days.

1 Like

Ah crap.

Is this the make-up day for the Monday December 31 ā€œholidayā€? If so, I guess the good news for me is I donā€™t have to work, because I donā€™t have classes on Monday. But it seriously reduces the chances of a Christmas party for our circle.

Not all countries/cultures in the world celebrate Xmas, whatā€™s the big deal?

But the whole concept of make-up days is ridiculous. This practice also exists in Mainland China. In fact, Iā€™m not aware of any places other than China & Taiwan which does this.

9 Likes

I try to argue this every time! None of my coworkers agree. Make-up Saturdays are shite!

3 Likes

Taiwan does celebrate it though. At least in a commercial sense. My company celebrated Halloween and Thanksgiving so we sure as fuck will be celebrating baby Jesusā€™ alleged birthday.

Thereā€™s a big difference between ā€˜celebratingā€™ Xmas purely for commercial/money-making reasons and celebrating it on a more complete basis. There are other countries which celebrate Xmas purely for money-making, such as Japan. Xmas isnā€™t official holiday in Japan either.

24 is holiday ?

I think it stings for me more because it used to be a holiday here. I can remember moaning about having to work boxing day.

Make up days are fucking Satan. Honestly I would prefer no vacation than a six day working week and a single rest day. I end up being behind on my rest and then the following full weekend just sleeping all the time.

Tip to DPP, make working here slightly bearable rather than licking the laoban classes taints. Then you might actually win in two years

12 Likes

Good luck with that. Actually, the legislative elections will occur Jan 2020 which is only 14 months away. The Presidential elections can either occur concurrently (like it did last time) or the election commission can decide to hold it later (but before May 2020 when the new Presidential term begins). Iā€™m sure the DPP will try to calculate which option would be more favourable to them in keeping power.

1 Like

Oh, you must be from UK or one of the Commonwealth countries. Americans know nothing about Boxing Day.

I be from the land of the wrong white crowd.

1 Like

Iā€™m not sure which is more ironicalisticalā€¦

• Shmearing someone else for ā€œkillingā€ the holiday whilst referring to it as ā€œX masā€
  • Kvetching about not getting a day off for a holiday you donā€™t believe in that belongs to a system of belief you hold in utter contempt

:idunno:

2 Likes

I love the baby Jesus with all of my heart.

2 Likes

Um ā€¦

Xmas is a common abbreviation of the word Christmas . ā€¦ The ā€œXā€ comes from the Greek letter Chi , which is the first letter of the Greek word Ī§ĻĪ¹ĻƒĻ„ĻŒĻ‚ , which in English is ā€œChristā€.[1]

There is a common misconception that the word Xmas stems from a secular attempt to remove the religious tradition from Christmas[3] by taking the ā€œChristā€ out of ā€œChristmasā€, but its use dates back to the 16th century.

Plus: come on, Christmas isnā€™t just religious. Many of us grew up with it being the main holiday of the year. I may not believe in God, but that doesnā€™t mean Christmas isnā€™t important to me. And while recognizing that itā€™s not likely to ever become a holiday here, I can still be annoyed by that fact.

Happy holidays with a secular red Starbucks cup to you!

1 Like

:roll_eyes:

1 Like

Um ā€¦ yes, apparently. Watching that thing go over my head again and again, and still trying to figure out what Iā€™m missing ā€¦ Something about Christ being killed? Eh, I dunno.

I admit your first post puzzled me, because it just seemed so anodyne offended mainstream American Christian, which isnā€™t what I associate with trash pandas on this board.

1 Like

very true. Christmas is an important day to get a gift from Santa Claus.