Taiwan launches social distancing app

When you see this…

WHATAYA mean when!? Is this an inevitability?

1 Like

That’s not English, that’s Google Translate.

I really appreciate the “Good luck, friend”

sheldon-good-night

3 Likes

I’m not so sure, unless Google translate is changing app icons as well…
SmartSelect_20210518-065018_One UI Home

I think he wanted to say, that the App’s creator used Google translate, rather than hire a professional to translate it.

2 Likes

I don’t see any option to change the language in the app? Do I need to download it again instead?

Not sure, I open the app, it required an update then it was in English :man_shrugging:

But…how would it know you wanted it to be in English? :thinking:

What operating system? It doesn’t appear to have changed in iOS.

Maybe linked to the settings/language of your Google play account?

1 Like

Actually, I just went to the Play Store, typed in “Taiwan Social Distancing”, and updated it through that. Now mine is in English too.

2 Likes

Android S21

1 Like

I tried every option to make it switch to English, but nothing works.

The app developer set the update, which contains the English language, to a slow staggered release (Android). I just got it and language switched automatically.

If you didn’t get the update yet, there’s nothing you can do but wait.
Version with the English language is 1.2.0

1 Like

There’s an English version in iOS too: mine updated to that earlier today. But I’m using the Canada app store; I don’t know how the app determines language.

I’m certainly glad it’s in English now. Last night at this time it gave me an alert and I had no idea what it said, but it was blue, so I figured I could ignore it. Tonight it’s in English: “Contact Tracing Results: No contact with registered positive tests.” That’s nice.

Are there any numbers about actual uptake of this thing, and how useful it really is? I confess a more selfish part of my brain regrets installing it, thinking “Oh crap am I going to be stuck at home for two weeks just because I waited in line to pay for a few minutes and the person three places in front of me has now tested positive?” (I know, I know, the greater good.)

Bumping this question more out of idle curiosity than anything else. I get little reassuring messages at night that I’ve had no contact. If this thing has a 5% take-up rate, that message means nothing. If this app has a 95% take-up rate, hey, that message is actually reassuring. Is there any information about where the rate falls? I’d guess low, but that is purely a guess.

It was almost like a game in Carrefour the other day: move around, keep moving, don’t linger near anyone, if someone is going at the same pace as you in the same direction, oops, take a different route, is someone lingering over the cheeses, come back later. I was winning at Pac-Man!

Then I had to stand in the line to pay for a few minutes, socially distant (a somewhat meaningless idea indoors, as best I can tell) from the person in front of and behind me in line, and smushed right next to the person in the line adjacent. I could feel the ghosts moving in around me, and a “Game Over!” sign descending upon my head.

I was nervous tonight because usually I get my all clear alerts around 6-7pm. Tonight not until 10pm. Not often I’m relieved to get an alert.

You get alerts?

Yup, on my iPhone and Apple Watch. Last night’s alert, 9:57pm: “Contact Tracing Results: No contact with registered positive tests.”

Those really made me nervous when the app was only Chinese.

The question then becomes what happens if I ever get a bad result. I need to learn more about the testing centers: if you’re COVID-free, and want to catch the bug, I’d guess those centers are the best place to get infected. I hope I’m wrong.

2 Likes

It never sends me alerts. Are you doing something differently?

Did you press the button after installing it to start contract tracing?

BTW: The app will only notify you about contacts with confirmed cases who also use the app and enter their positive test result into the app. Not sure if even a single person in Taiwan has received an alert through the app yet…

3 Likes