Taiwan literary journals for foreigners

Let’s see…“Taiwanease” seems to have folded around 2007, and they never did literature anyway…“Pressed” moved to Australia…is “XPat” still around? They did a mixture, but more skewed towards restaurant ads and such…

What else is there / has there been?

[quote=“Screaming Jesus”]Let’s see…“Taiwanease” seems to have folded around 2007, and they never did literature anyway…“Pressed” moved to Australia…is “XPat” still around? They did a mixture, but more skewed towards restaurant ads and such…

What else is there / has there been?[/quote]
Does Compass Magazine count?

Maybe one of these: hermes.hrc.ntu.edu.tw/journal.asp
But they probably trend toward high-falutin’ lit-crit rather than original fiction/poetry.

If it’s local literature you want, check out the Chinese PEN:
taipen.org/the_chinese_pen/t … pen_02.htm

I miss POTS’ English section.

Thanks all…

Compass is journalism-lite / travel writing. (Like Taiwanease.)

Hermes is…what, a Chinese lit-crit link page?

PEN is for Chinese-language writers–the only foreigners in it are their translators.

Stefan Riches and I put together “Experienced in Taiwan,” a one-off collection of ‘Best of’ performances at the Living Room in Taipei.

Most editors of these literary journals find it a hard slog to put together, find advertising, publish, distribute. The foreign community’s so small.

+886 magazine barely broke even, even with a lot of hard work on advertising…

This might not be quite what you’re looking for - chinese lit in translation. Its done by Taiwan’s very own Steve Bradbury, however, and its certainly worth a look if you like the sort of thing. There’s some great interviews now and then.

fulltilt.ncu.edu.tw/Content.asp?I_No=39&Period=4