Taiwan needs Immigration Reform -- DUH

She should get an APRC as a start, the citizenship thing is more complicated. I DON’T understand the problem in giving her the APRC though…

She also has two siblings that may or may not be in the same boat, and the issue is a widespread problem in Taiwan that crops up regularly, so she’s trying to publicize it and show how ridiculous the rule is.

APRCs are given based on merit: five years residence and a minimum taxable income of close to 500,000 NT$. If she gets an APRC without the income requirement, why should other foreigners need to show minimum income?

Her parents live in Taiwan for 15 years and call it their home, they even say that they do not have any ties to Germany anymore. So why does the father not simply become a citizen? His children can be included in the application and the wife could get a JFRV, so after three years she would also qualify for citizenship or after five years she could get an APRC.

Why should they give up their German passport that is actually worth something when a lot of locals are dancing around with multiple citizenship all over the place. Over true reciprocity, not just when it suits Taiwan.

On a side note, I thought there was a loophole where if you did not make 500,000 a year, you could simply dump a large amount of into a local Taiwan bank and they would issue the APRC assuming you met the residency requirements(?)

I have two opinions about you Hsinhai…you are either a) a literal thinker (on the verge of autistic) or b) deliberately obtuse.

The point is not where the law stands now, the point is that the law can be more reasonable to allow children who legally grew up here to possess an APRC on their own merits.

[quote=“headhonchoII”]I have two opinions about you Xinhai…you are either a) a literal thinker (on the verge of autistic) or b) deliberately obtuse.

The point is not where the law stands now, the point is that the law can be more reasonable to allow children who legally grew up here to possess an APRC on their own merits.[/quote]

OK, but why stop there? I mean what about blue collar migrant workers? A lot of them lived and worked in Taiwan for five, ten, fifteen years. If you open the gates then don’t just do it for a pretty white girl but for people of all colors who lived here.

These people who want to give that girl an APRC for free follow a disgusting double standard: most migrant workers did more for Taiwan than she did. But I don’t see anyone demanding APRCs for Filipinos who get kicked out after years of work for the development of Taiwan.

Or instead of bitching about Taiwan’s immigration standard, are things any different in other countries? Many people lived in America for years only to be kicked out on a technicality.

So one good racist discriminatory set of laws deserves another?

Obama a few years ago had put a moratorium on the deportation of illegal immigrants (deferred action for childhood arrivals)
Even he has the common sense to realize that kicking kids out of a country they call home is wrong.

Hsinhai,
Are you intentionally missing the point. There are children here, born to people on arcs or specs, who have lived here all their lives, who get kicked out of the country when they are 18. We all know what the law says. What we are saying is that the law is rubbish

rubbish yes, but the way the “developed” world works is based purely on soul less paper work and semantics. There are 2 ways to go about it, give up or play the game.

its clearly bad that people born here have to leave, if they opt to not give up their passport or do other requirements, but like the guy above says, if they did that for one girl, technically, and fairly, they would have to do it for everyone. I know taiwan loves its darker slave labor, but i dont think they really want them all sporting an ROC passport. I am of course against that in case it wasnt clear, but it is what it is.

study up, play the game and take them for the fools they truly are.

[quote=“E04teacherlin”]Xinhai,
Are you intentionally missing the point. There are children here, born to people on arcs or specs, who have lived here all their lives, who get kicked out of the country when they are 18. We all know what the law says. What we are saying is that the law is rubbish[/quote]

Wrong. At the age of 20 these persons are required to stay in heir own right, i.e. through studying in a Taiwanese university. After graduation they can get a work ARC. Saying that these people get kicked put at the age of 18 is nothing but incitement.

They better blame their parents for not naturalizing or moving to Taiwan in the first place. The rules are well known and being white gives you absolutely no privilege over migrant workers who also call Taiwan their home. And guess what, pregnant migrant workers even get kicked out. But where is Forumosa’s outrage? My bad, Filipino’s aren’t white enough.

Hsinhai,
You have no idea what you are talking about. What job can you do? You cannot get an arc working as a waiter here because the labor laws are discriminatory. What job can she do that will offer her an arc? Do you really understand the issue or are you jumping on the migrant worker issue because you are refusing to admit you posted irrelevant rubbish here. After she graduated, she can not get a job. If she had an aprc, she could get any job. Don’t feel offended though. You know as little as the idiot who commented from the cla.

Question, what are the rules for her type of visa and opening her own business? easy as pie to make money here if she speaks the language.

I don’t know of any country where you can get residence working as a waiter… it’s always limited to highly skilled jobs or in the case of Taiwan 2 years of documented experience.

[quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“headhonchoII”]I have two opinions about you Xinhai…you are either a) a literal thinker (on the verge of autistic) or b) deliberately obtuse.

The point is not where the law stands now, the point is that the law can be more reasonable to allow children who legally grew up here to possess an APRC on their own merits.[/quote]

OK, but why stop there? I mean what about blue collar migrant workers? A lot of them lived and worked in Taiwan for five, ten, fifteen years. If you open the gates then don’t just do it for a pretty white girl but for people of all colors who lived here.

These people who want to give that girl an APRC for free follow a disgusting double standard: most migrant workers did more for Taiwan than she did. But I don’t see anyone demanding APRCs for Filipinos who get kicked out after years of work for the development of Taiwan.[/quote]

You are a strange one aren’t you. DId anybody state their opposition to migrants workers getting residency permits? Funny enough, that’s not the topic at hand though is it? Talk about making a strawman argument…

[quote=“Pingdong”]rubbish yes, but the way the “developed” world works is based purely on soul less paper work and semantics. There are 2 ways to go about it, give up or play the game.

its clearly bad that people born here have to leave, if they opt to not give up their passport or do other requirements, but like the guy above says, if they did that for one girl, technically, and fairly, they would have to do it for everyone. I know taiwan loves its darker slave labor, but I don’t think they really want them all sporting an ROC passport. I am of course against that in case it wasn’t clear, but it is what it is.

study up, play the game and take them for the fools they truly are.[/quote]

Don’t play into this diversionary tactic, it’s not the same thing (there is a difference between people who are born here, people who grown up and studied here, and people who have worked here…they are not all the same thing) and they could easily allow people who are born here or who have studied here to have an easier route to APRC without including migrant workers in the mix.

I don’t agree to ‘play the game’, because if people do that nothing ever advances. She’s pushing for the public to be aware of this issue, and good for her. It is also not a good option for her to depend on a work ARC, it’s a shit option.

[quote=“Pingdong”]rubbish yes, but the way the “developed” world works is based purely on soul less paper work and semantics. There are 2 ways to go about it, give up or play the game.

its clearly bad that people born here have to leave, if they opt to not give up their passport or do other requirements, but like the guy above says, if they did that for one girl, technically, and fairly, they would have to do it for everyone. I know taiwan loves its darker slave labor, but I don’t think they really want them all sporting an ROC passport. I am of course against that in case it wasn’t clear, but it is what it is.

study up, play the game and take them for the fools they truly are.[/quote]

Don’t play into this diversionary tactic, it’s not the same thing, and they could easily allow people who are born here or who have studied here to have an easier route to APRC without including migrant workers in the mix.

I don’t agree to ‘play the game’, because if people do that nothing ever advances. She’s pushing for the public to be aware of this issue, and good for her. It is also not a good option for her to depend on a work ARC, it’s a shit option. For one, you are supposed to have work experience before getting the ARC. So how does she get the ARC without work experience? She must leave the country she grew up in and studied in to get work experience to re-enter the country again legally, but with very limited rights.

Once again, the law is an ass that needs to be adjusted to reality.

[quote=“hsinhai78”][quote=“E04teacherlin”]Xinhai,
Are you intentionally missing the point. There are children here, born to people on arcs or specs, who have lived here all their lives, who get kicked out of the country when they are 18. We all know what the law says. What we are saying is that the law is rubbish[/quote]

Wrong. At the age of 20 these persons are required to stay in heir own right, i.e. through studying in a Taiwanese university. After graduation they can get a work ARC. Saying that these people get kicked put at the age of 18 is nothing but incitement.

They better blame their parents for not naturalizing or moving to Taiwan in the first place. The rules are well known and being white gives you absolutely no privilege over migrant workers who also call Taiwan their home. And guess what, pregnant migrant workers even get kicked out. But where is Forumosa’s outrage? My bad, Filipino’s aren’t white enough.[/quote]

Yeah you suddenly care about migrant workers, please…stop this, it’s making me puke. :thumbsdown:

The Filipinos don’t have as much outrage as us because they are treated so poorly by most people, the majority do their stint here and happily go home, after transferring the majority of their earnings there first.

I had a Filipino friend who worked here for way more than 5 years, but of course the immigration law is designed in such a way so that they don’t meet the income requirements and even the length of stay as the company sends them home before they could ever apply for a APRC, then they can reapply to come back to Taiwan so that resets their eligibility time-wise. It is a direct ploy to ensure they do not get their permanent residency.

Lets be blunt, they do not want immigrants (read non Han here) Period. Full stop

Thank you for establishing that you support racist policies: privileges for young white immigrants whereas Filipinos get the boot.

Depending on a work ARC is what the vast majority of foreigners have to do. They haven’t all left so it doesn’t seem to be shit option after all. What about all these foreigners who sere able to use a work aRC as their path towards an APRC? Sure it would be easier for her if she got an APRC, but that applies to any foreigner.

I want neither migrant workers nor that white woman to get an APRC without fulfilling the current regulations. But in that I am colorblind. You however wrote about giving her an APRC “without including migrant workers in the mix”. That is inherently racist and arbitrary.