More than a few English teachers needed to realize (Taiwan's) bilingual ambitions [Taiwan News]

Exactly.

Chinless teetotalers with patronizing superiority complexes on the other hand…

1 Like

Why does he say foreign teachers at state schools teach illegally? Tha fruta?!

There are many illegal things happening, especially regarding labor rights of foreign workers. Nice work of Taiwan News perpetuating the stereotype of foreigners teaching illegally.

There must have been some sort of bruhaha lately regarding the issue. I was asked recently to produce my visa and creds after coaching at a state school for the last 2 years. When I asked WTF I got crickets. Luckily I paid top clams in Thailand for the parchment I handed over.

And saying they are here “looking to earn enough to cover their rent and beer money”.

1 Like

They still doing those fake EFL certificates in Bangkok or fake any degree a person may desire?
As for Taiwan well I think the regulations for teachers are different in different areas of the country. New Taipei city requires Criminal record checks, but I don’t think Taipei does which is kind of weird. In fact some Cram schools require a degree, an EFL certificate and a criminal record check, so I doubt (weed issue aside) there is a large cartel of hardened criminals working as English teachers in Taiwan, as the article kind of insinuates. However, yes many are guilty of beer chugging lol

1 Like

I would like them to point out that the Taiwanese parents pay top dollar so their children go to kindergarden with foreigners teaching in English. That is as far as illegal goes. But the ones supporting this situation are the parents.

I bet David Spencer is either an Overseas Compatriot or FOB. Someone with a minimum of knowledge in the field would not make those glaring mistakes. Unless it is willingly.

1 Like

these are legal requirements by the central government.

Nah, I guarantee he gets asked a lot if he is an English teacher and he doesn’t want to be associated with such a low class type of person.

2 Likes

Probably. I recently met a dude who is using one. As far as I know his employer can’t tell the difference between the bona fide educated teachers and the make believe guy.

2 Likes

Not in a public school though . Also I heard they actually check college records online now, when reviewing the work permit applications , at least some of the time. They also do the criminal record checks and health checks. It is NOT like the old days.

I know a guy who used to have a fake diploma and teach here, he went home got a bunch of degrees and came back again. He was a very hard working teacher . He shouldn’t have been teaching illegally but then again at the time that didn’t care a whole lot as long as you could do the job or look the part , preferably both. That was for buxibans and private classes.

1 Like

Yeah those “Beer chuggers !” Beer chuggers are fine with me unless it’s Corona with a lemon in the neck, that looks a bit…。(sarcasm)

How dare you ? :grinning: Some of us are tired of being sick after consuming too many Pints of beer. Coronas et al, simply extend the evening enjoyment , and the ability to remain in an upright position.

2 Likes

Maybe, a good writer wouldn’t make us guess, and he makes it sounds like those are the only teachers in state schools.

I think K-man is half-running things over there, although he mostly self-promotes.

APRC holders can as well, right?

1 Like

I would think if the employer rolled up for work wearing a MAGA cap, asking if it was ok, they would soon find out . :wink: Actually , I rescind that …I was being silly .

2 Likes

A reporter trying to kill a few hours until payday? I am shocked beyond words! Next you’ll be telling me that some of the articles in Taiwan News are complete nonsense. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I prefer Experimental Mandarin Chinese myself.

1 Like

As long as they have also got their Work Permit (Which is just a case of applying for it)

1 Like

That’s another question that hasn’t been 101% definitively settled. Tl/dr: It should be okay for an APRC holder without an open work permit, but get the OWP anyway, just in case.

What are you talking about?
The vast majority of anxinban and bushiban cater specifically to helping students with homework in all their courses.
English buxi make up only a percentage of all of them.

1 Like