Taiwan News now tabloid

The Taiwan News is now published in a 20-page tabloid format. CNA reports:

[quote]The Taiwan News, one of Taiwan’s three English-language newspapers, introduced a brand new appearance Tuesday, in the smaller tabloid size but with more pages than the previous broadsheet format.

The newspaper announced in a front-page report on its New Year's Day edition that the change in layout was also accompanied by changes in content, including expanded coverage of business news. [/quote]

Is this the future of English-language newspapers in Taiwan? Is the Taiwan News struggling to stay in business? Your thoughts…

It should now be possible to turn pages without punching the person next to you on the MRT. Will this be an excuse for less local news ?
More business news ? Guess I’m not in their target audience then, no need for me to read it. Who cares how many shares Meganob sold in Japan ?

if they hand it out free on the mrt i might read it.

Will the errors be smaller now?

In their hearts, they were always tabloid.

JDSmith wrote:

Nope, somehow they manage to cram more errors than ever before…

Who cares about the format if the content didn’t change …

Well I give em points for at least trying to do something different. I always feel that the Taipei Times has cornered the market with their brand of politics which is why so many foreigners pick it up. It is a nicely-designed paper but the content is mostly mmmmm.

[quote=“wix”][quote]The Taiwan News, one of Taiwan’s three English-language newspapers, introduced a brand new appearance Tuesday, in the smaller tabloid size but with more pages than the previous broadsheet format.

The newspaper announced in a front-page report on its New Year's Day edition that the change in layout was also accompanied by changes in content, including expanded coverage of business news. [/quote]

Is this the future of English-language newspapers in Taiwan? Is the Taiwan News struggling to stay in business? Your thoughts…[/quote]

I have to say that on the few occasions when I pick up an English newspaper in Taiwan I do prefer the style and content of Taiwan News. Maybe I just got lucky with a few issues but it was quite readable. The Taipei Times just feels like a printed version of a mouthy 20 year old liberal arts student.

IMO all the “news” coverage on Taiwan is of a tabloid mentality.

Taiwan News has Calvin & Hobbes…so obviously they are the best.

I like taipei time’s daily crosswords.

And where does one acquire such a newspaper in question? can I get it at a convenience store, I can’t say I’ve ever looked, because I had never expected to see anything legible.

What happened with Brittany? And what is this about Meganob? Tabloidian minds want to know.

The Sudoku is too tiny for my old eyes now.

Yep, it’s in any convenience store, next to the Taipei Times or under the Taipei Times depending on the merchandising style of the franchisee.

Yep, it’s in any convenience store, next to the Taipei Times or under the Taipei Times depending on the merchandising style of the franchisee.[/quote]

Good stuff, I’ll be sure to look.

Now this is the most intelligent thing I’ve read today!

Calvin’s great, but I wouldn’t want to be his dad…or his teacher!

Yep, it’s in any convenience store, next to the Taipei Times or under the Taipei Times depending on the merchandising style of the franchisee.[/quote]

Not where I live … TT is the sole paper in most convenience stores down here … just 20k outside Taipei …

Most convenience stores have the Taiwan News’ English learning weekly magazine, but many don’t have the newspaper. The one place you are sure to find the Taiwan News is at I-Mei food stores, because I-Mei owns the Taiwan News. I-Mei also stocks Falun Gong-supported Epoch Times (大紀元) - I don’t know why.

Hmm…The Epoch Times looks like it comes off the same presses as the Taiwan News, and it is tabloid. Maybe having both papers tabloid could make it easier and more economical to run both papers off the same machines???

[quote=“Juba”]

Hmm…The Epoch Times looks like it comes off the same presses as the Taiwan News, and it is tabloid. Maybe having both papers tabloid could make it easier and more economical to run both papers off the same machines???[/quote]

nah, because mr i-mei has soft warm feelings for the flg. or so i will bet

whatever i-mei has some of the only processed food you can rely on here. we can cut them some slack on their english press standards.