Taiwan now second-richest in Asia

With net financial assets in Taiwan rising 8.4 percent annually to 97,850 euros (US$108,300) per capita last year, Taiwan overtook Japan for the first time and was the second-richest in Asia behind only Singapore, the Allianz Group’s global wealth report published on Thursday showed.

Although the number might seem too high given that gross national income per capita stands at NT$768,959 (US$24,821), according to data provided by the Directorate-General of Budget, Accounting and Statistics (DGBAS), Allianz Taiwan Life Insurance Co (安聯人壽) said the average was boosted by the financial investments of very rich people.

1 Like

Bull!

3 Likes

how is the distribution ? and how they get this number? they use the buble house prices?

4 Likes

Definitely bubble house prices

2 Likes

i’m sure the taiwan namba wan crowd of bum lickers are going to boast about this figure, but anyone with some common sense can see it doesn’t add up at all!

4 Likes

you can see graphs about wealth distribution in this article:

housing is obviously part of a household’s net worth, yes. the taiwan gov releases stats about average household wealth composition here:

https://www.dgbas.gov.tw/public/data/dgbas04/bc3/photo/nE7.html

1 Like

The 1% has 95% of that and the rest has 5%!

6 Likes

Taiwans Per Capita net worth looks high when when a moldy rusty mosquito, roach infested 40 year old crumbling 40 ping apartment above a 7-11 supposedly costs 1 million USD yet can only fetch 23k NTD a month on rent

5 Likes

It’s not the old crumbling apartment, it’s the land under it.

3 Likes

Right, Land in Taipei much more valuable than Tokyo or London as the land fetches so much rent. If roaches paid rent it would be worth the bubble price. What makes the land so valuable? What returns can I expect on that investment?

1 Like

High in net worth, not so high in income. We’ve discussed this many times here already.

Also, pre-tax income is the most equitable among advanced countries.

1 Like

I was in a hospital last week where they’re so strapped for cash they don’t employ proper cleaners, i.e. no mops, no disinfectant. The orderlies look like they sleep rough in the park. Every single staff member complained of being overworked. As I lay in my bed I was literally thinking, how can a country that is so rich be unable to hire cleaning staff in a hospital?

Of course it could also be they’re cutting corners to save money and boost profits…

Taiwan wealthier than Japan and South Korea? Then why are we still breathing in diesel fumes from armies of scooters, and why are our earthquake-prone buildings still made up of cardboard and soup can scaffolding? :thinking:

4 Likes

You don’t become rich by buy a new gogoro every year.

Typical Mr. I-only-read-headlines. This report only includes financial asset, properties are not included.

Source?

Which hospital is this?

It’s pretty obvious that all of you only read the headlines instead of, well, what’s under the headlines.

4 Likes

Shuangho in Taipei County.

There’s quite a disparity in the hospitals here, its possible to find better ones. I recommend Wanfang hospital.

But yeah a lot of nurses complain about their treatment here and low salaries.

1 Like

I had no option since the knee expert at Beiyi only performs surgery out of Shuangho. So long as I can still do the cancan it’s no real bother, just a bit of an eye opener.

1 Like

Just visited Korea, Taiwan definitely does not look wealthier than Korea, not even in the same ball park anymore

2 Likes

Yeah and it’s not even in the same galactic stadium compared to Japan or Singapore. There are even cities such as Hangzhou in China that look wealthier and far more aesthetically pleasing than Taipei (but partly because they are newer of course).

2 Likes