Taiwan now second-richest in Asia

Japan only has two more billionaires than Taiwan, in spite of being 6 times the population.

That’s not enough for you? Here, happy reading.

South Korea is listed 11th largest economy in the world. Taiwan is tied for 20th.

It’s also the 7th largest importer/exporter in the world.

17 posts were split to a new topic: From taiwan

I own a rabbit hutch on the top floor now, down on the first ice Carefour , a Mac Donald’s and a KFC, I’m stinking rich but Fridays restaurant is out my budget. I stick with local food not over 300NTD per head. I wear George shoes and don’t have a car, but darn I’d that property I got is over valued. Without it I’d be very average. Just pointing that out to show stats can be misleading.

1 Like

Numbers compared to numbers are what counts. Taiwan, i dont think, has ever claimed to be flashy or new looking. Make money, thats it. No one cares the busses push blue or the buildings are all moldy.

Not sure the exact number, they are easily manipulated, but it makes sense taiean tanks high due to a shit ton of rich people, a general lack of compassion and morals in all aspects of finance/business, a small population and a very small land mass making things very very cheap logistics wise. Taiwan could easily be a larger singapore minus the chinabuttphucking if we wanted to. But we still have a bit of that old style chinese poverty in our bloodstres.

mean of private sectors is 1 mil/ yr NTD in Japan.

Never mind.
You realize you gave the the same answer three times?

Exports are a component of GDP. (Exports - Imports + Consumption + Investment + Government Spending)

Yeah, while you conveniently ignore everything I said about Internet, infrastructure, etc

Fine. Come up with any category you wish to know and then we can investigate which country is more developed in that area. Otherwise we’re playing a no-win game where no matter what I say it isn’t good enough for you. So why should I bother?

GDP is really silly because the population of Korea is more than twice of the population of Taiwan. Of course the economy size would be larger.

GDP per capita is a better metric, but it’s very likely that Korea’s GDP per capita wouldn’t look pretty next year since KOW has devalued quite a bit whereas TWD hasn’t, besides their economy performance this past year has been shit.

South Korea is 28th for GDP per capita. Taiwan is 34th. SK still comes out on top.

Haven’t we beat this to death 100 times over already? Taiwan has higher GDP PPP per capita and wealth and its far more equal than people think.
Now how much those are worth is another matter. For example, in an undervalued currency environment like Taiwan’s, people that like to buy imported stuff or travel abroad a lot are screwed.
Wealth is also not necessarily a good thing. East Asian countries tend to have high saving rates cause they are not confident in their economy. Higher saving means lower consumption which dampens growth. US has unusually high wealth because it lacks the sophisticated social safety nets common in Europe which means that people need a deeper pocket to dip into for rainy days.

1 Like

Haven’t we been over this already? Taiwan is wealthy in terms of net worth, but not incomes.

Economists use PPP, and in that case, Taiwan would be wealthier than Korea. While we need a PPP adjustment, some say that adjustment is too much. Korea beats Taiwan on a lot of indicators.

1 Like

There are 40000 + Taiwanese in South Korea, only 4000 South Koreans in Taiwan.

2 Likes

I think South Korea is more developed than Taiwan. Also more modern. That’s just from personal experience.

3 Likes

I didn’t ignore you, I asked you for more. GDP settles nothing, because different metrics (nominal, PPP) say different things. People here say Taiwan’s internet is already twice as fast as that in the US, is Korea’s faster?

What metrics indicate Korea’s educational quality is higher? Both countries are lights out on international math and science scores. All countries trail the US in higher education.

Korea has higher rates of car ownership.

Health care?

40,000? Where did you get that number?

Does it all really matter which country has what. A lot of competition here in Asia. I can’t remember a day where someone in Europe gave a shit about comparing who was more wealthy then the next country. Maybe take a chill pill and waiste energy on something usefull…

2 Likes

I was just in Kingston, Jamaica recently. 5 minutes there will alleviate any doubts as to whether TW is a rich country or not. Korea still more affluent though.

I was on vacation in Sri Lanka recently. TW is definitely a rich country. However, Japan is richer.

1 Like

Internet here sucks, in my opinion. I still use 3G on my phone as the infrastructure at least where I live in Ktown isn’t equipped to handle 4G. Contrast that with Korea, which pioneered 5G and already has 5G capable phones and network through Samsung.

The top tier universities in South Korea are on average ranked higher than the top tier universities in Taiwan. The number one uni in Korea is Seoul National University, which is ranked 64th in the world. Contrast that with what I think we can all agree is the top university in Taiwan, National Taiwan University, which is ranked 120th.

1 Like