Taiwan passengers sit in protest

It seems to be a shared Han Chinese cultural phenomenon: an unclarity of the concept that delays and rescheduling are a normal part of flying. (Which is strange, because, especially in China, delays and screw-ups are the norm in most aspects of life.)

Westerners in such situations may be miffed, but we take it in stride being far more familiar with the state of affairs, knowing that delays are caused by bad weather, mechanical failures and other problems, and that we’ll have a legitimate and unimpeachable excuse when we arrive late at our destination.

I remember crap like this taking place in the 1990s, over things like one-hour delays. :unamused:

Then recently there was the YouTube video of a woman from China who freaked out in the Hong Kong airport when she missed her connecting flight.

You mean to say they have no concept of flight safety?

Quelle surprise.

That has nothing to do with flight saftey. The woman who went mental could see her plane, with the dors open, and the ground staff were saying ‘you can’t get on.’ Why? Because maybe almost all pilots are complete pricks who make up for having no job skills by being dictators. A pilot is essentially a taxi driver. And when the pilot says ‘no more passengers’ the ground crew obey. If they can pull your bags off the plane moments before it takes off, why can’t they put a person onto the plane? And if it isn’t the pilot it is the numpty on £9 per hour who has been made ‘supervisor’ and who is pissed off at having to work shifts, so they delight in incomprehensible rules which mess passengers around.

I think passengers have every right to lose their tempers in airports.

From the article:

“They also demanded compensation from the air carrier.”

Typical Taiwanese…its become a Taiwanese cliche’ thats all too true.

The ace reporter/reporterette neglects to mention if the passengers were provided lodging by the airline in China due to their delay - which is done on a standard basis by most all airlines. Nor does the reporter/reporterette indicate from what city in China the airplane was flying from to Taiwan.

There is an ongoing passenger beef in the US regarding excessively long take-off delays. I have heard of some of these lasting as long as 4 hours. Passengers have not been allowed to deplane. Terrible just sitting there on the runway line-up. Never heard of anything like this after landing. Thats just ridiculous.

If they had a complaint they should have deplaned and marched en mass to the gateway or ticket counter and done their protesting. More chance of getting a news crews attention and pulling the standard tears for the camera shtick.

[quote=“TomHill”]That has nothing to do with flight saftey. The woman who went mental could see her plane, with the dors open, and the ground staff were saying ‘you can’t get on.’ Why? Because maybe almost all pilots are complete pricks who make up for having no job skills by being dictators. A pilot is essentially a taxi driver. And when the pilot says ‘no more passengers’ the ground crew obey. If they can pull your bags off the plane moments before it takes off, why can’t they put a person onto the plane? And if it isn’t the pilot it is the numpty on £9 per hour who has been made ‘supervisor’ and who is pissed off at having to work shifts, so they delight in incomprehensible rules which mess passengers around.

I think passengers have every right to lose their tempers in airports.[/quote]

It depends. I thought this was about a weather delay? What about my case where there was a significant problem with the aircraft? I would hope they would delay in those cases. However, they should also take care of you when they do delay. On this point they often fail.

Actually, the pilot doesn’t get full control until the door is closed. Before then it is the gate staff.

Bruce Dickinson is a pilot…so not all are brown shirts.

Elegua, I barely read the full thread, I’m more of a gist poster. Skimming over scanning, you get me. Anyway, in cases where there is weather shizzle going on, or mechanical issues then hell to the yes, I expect to wait and be delayed. And yes, like you say, I expect more than a £2 starbucks coupon, especially when the cheapest thing in starbucks is £2.10.

I have travelled with the Taiwanese i.e. a tour group of 40+ locals and my skinny pale arse, and to be fair to them, they recognize when they are getting the ‘Taiwan treatment’ at the airport and they rightly go bolo.

As for the pilot, he has control once the doors shut, yes, but he will throw all his pram toys at the gorund crew to make sure that door is nice and shut at the correct time, and the ground staff know not to be trying to do anything other than apppease that cocksucker once the doors are shut.

Bruce is the only pilot I will grant special dispensation to, inspite of that childrens book he wrote.

That’s the one thing I can’t forgive him for. :hand:

If you’re bored, this will entertain you for a spell.

http://www.textsfromlastnight.com/

That’s the one thing I can’t forgive him for. :hand:

If you’re bored, this will entertain you for a spell.

http://www.textsfromlastnight.com/[/quote]

That is funny. :smiley: But my computer spazzed out a bit when I opened the page…

Forgive me for saying so…but I feel Taiwanese are too much into the “we Taiwanese are being mistreated” syndrome. I got stuck in HK airport due to typhoon on way back to Taipei. The whole airport was full of people waiting to get out. I noted the only rowdy, unruly crowds were the Taiwanese. Sitting on the floor next to them I would hear over and over…“us Taiwanese are being bullied”. And then there was the rumor that a special plane had been arranged but only for HK people…“us Taiwanese were not told”. The counter manager tried to leave the counter and was asked by two triad looking guys where he was going. They told the manager that they would not leave his side and I saw them following him around the airport. Next morning when I saw the manager again he was accompanied by those two guys. (I am not sure if they slept together during the night.)

Its phychological. After you tell 23 million people who live on a rock that their country doesnt exist and their passport is dubious at best and dont recognize them even after they build 90pct of the worlds puters, the worlds tallest finished building, a HSR, freeways, and other trappings of 1st worldliness, they get defensive and tend to fight back, even if now they are being unreasonable.

I think there should be a thread ongoing about airline/airport stories.
This is one thing that embarrasses me as a Taiwanese person, but we are getting better. sloooowly.

I was waiting for a United Airlines flight back to Taiwan in April, it was delayed because of mechanical reasons. There were a group of 4 men from Nan Ya plastics on my flight. They were pissed off and shouting a bit at the counter agent, maybe cause she was Asian, they didn’t yell at the white girl. Security told them to relax and move. They were saying, on the way to L.A. they had to wait on the plane for almost 2 hours now this. Later they were sitting next to my colleague and I as we were eating snacks and just chatting because it’s like hey what can we do. 2 of them started complaining to us that they can’t get back on time and they needed to make a presentation tomorrow etc. That Americans don’t understand what hard work is, that young Taiwanese girls like us (not yet 30) don’t worry about being on time for work. :blah: :blah: . :popcorn:

I just looked at them as my colleague tried to to debate with them. Had some coffee and read a magazine. I think they were more pissed 1 of us ignored them ignored them. 3 hours big deal… normal, plus had to stop in Japan.
Amazingly when they got on the flight some of them were still whiny and rude.

[quote]“we Taiwanese are being mistreated” syndrome[/quote] :unamused: ?

just some poor whiney bastards

unused to the jet age

I think they have every right to complain if the flight is running late. Maintenance is no excuse. Maintenance is part of the job and should be done properly ahead of time so the plane can leave on time. Leave a margin of safety if necessary. The rest of the world goes on around these fuckers in airline companies. People do need to get connecting flights and they do need to get to meetings on time. Why is this so difficult to understand? Why is it so difficult for these cocks to do their jobs right?

I once got delayed for 24 hours for a flight from London to Bratislava because they cancelled the flight. It’s a two hour flight, tops. What a barrel of laughs that was.

The one thing that I can not understand about all of this complaining about the airlines is that people never learn…
I know that there is a big f**en chance that my flight might be delayed so I plan for it, and when it happens which isn’t that often, then I sit back in the bar and have another beer…
For all of you complainers, as I see it you have three choices:

1. Scream until your face turns blue.
  2. Start your own airline.
  3. Use one of the many alternatives to flying, in fact you can probably save some money by working as a bellboy on one of the ships…

I plan for it too and I’m not usually that rushed. That said, there are plenty of people who don’t have that luxury of essentially planning to lose almost an extra working day between possibly delays at either end of the process. The bottom line is that you buy a ticket and you expect these tools to be able to do their jobs properly the first time and deliver on what they say they will do, instead of thinking they’re some law unto themselves. Accepting poor service and bullshit means you can expect more of it in the future. There are airlines I won’t fly with because they’ve fucked me around, just as there are other businesses I won’t patronise anymore for the same reason.

All the airlines cut everything to the bare minimum they can get away with. It’s not an issue now, as passenger numbers are falling, but remember how they routinely used to over-book flights assuming a percentage of customers would cancel? Similarly they keep turnover times in airports at the minimum possible. The result is that delays are more likely because everything is rushed.

I too refuse to use shite airlines. I’ll never fly BA again after a particularly annoying experience resulting from nothing other than incompetence.

Security measures are used as an excuse to treat people like the docile cattle they want, herded from one place to another and then quietly sat in their stalls in the airplane for 13 hours. And can you get more than a couple of drinks on these flights? Can you bollocks.