Taiwan police arrest suspected child molester from US

Just goes to prove that Taiwan is indeed a US territory! No need for an extradition treaty there, it is an ‘internal matter’, as China would like to put it.

What is ‘Tuo er suo’ ? When I say it out loud it sounds a bit like the Chinese word for ‘toilet’ :neutral:

A couple more articles.

According to this article, this guy came to Taiwan in early January. He had already found a cozy little studio apartment near Sogo over the Internet (Tealit!) and was already strolling around, picking up chicks around Zhongxiao Fuxing, and going to a nearby health club (California fitness, I’m assuming). The article also somewhat melodramatically adds that when the police picked him up, he talked about how much he loved Taiwan and how he wanted to open up his own kindergarten, which caused the police to break out into a cold sweat. It also mentions at the end that he was in Taiwan on an expired landing visa.

This article is even more hilarious. It talks about how a female police officer set up a sting operation to nab this guy.

[quote]顏舒怡說,接下這件案子備感壓力,平常到東區逛街是為了購物;最近逛街,眼睛卻是猛盯著外國人,而且擔心打草驚蛇,必須跟著對方,看看對方到了哪個場所,再向店員打探身分

十多天來,壓力大到睡不著,就連睡著了都還夢到對方。顏舒怡說,對方是個戀童癖,一天沒有落網,就可能有孩童受害,所以不只白天,晚上她也到PUB去明察暗訪,希望有消息。

直到前天,她得知有名外國人來台後經常到某家店,還留了電話給女店員,表示可以教人說英語,她認為機不可失,拿了照片給對方指認,確認就是李馬克。

Officer Yan Shuyi said, the pressure on this case was tremendous. Usually she likes to go shopping in the Zhongxiao area, but whenever she went to this area in the past several days, she intently stared at all the foreigners. She was worried that she might suddenly have to strike and pursue her target.

For the past couple of weeks, the pressure was so great that she couldn’t sleep and when she did, she dreamed of the pursuit. Officer Yan said, the suspect was a pedophile, and every day he wasn’t apprehended was another day he could have molested a child. She worked hard not only in the day, but at night, going to different pubs and checking if there were any new leads.

A few days, she learned that there was a famous pub that many foreigners like to go to after they arrive in Taiwan. She left her number and a picture of the suspect with a waitress and asked her to set up a language exchange with the suspect.[/quote]

I wonder what pub they’re referring to. I don’t know what’s more hilarious: that there’s some pub where the police would suspect newbie pederast furriners would go or the fact that this newbie pederast furriner indeed frequented this place.

Its a Pre-school pubba. I think the Taiwanese police didnt like this guy possibly molesting kids in Taiwan when they got the scoop from US police and decided he needed to go back to the USA.

Thing Im curious about is if they actually needed a law to do this or could just label someone persona non grata (which is what Im guessing) and send him off.

Maybe they just picked one of the popular hangouts for furriners like Carnegies just because they are popular.

Thanks Tommy. I wonder why he chose Taiwan? Glad to hear he’s been sent packing :bluemad:

[quote=“alidarbac”]A couple more articles.

According to this article, this guy came to Taiwan in early January. He had already found a cozy little studio apartment near Sogo over the Internet (Tealit!) and was already strolling around, picking up chicks around Zhongxiao Fuxing, and going to a nearby health club (California fitness, I’m assuming). The article also somewhat melodramatically adds that when the police picked him up, he talked about how much he loved Taiwan and how he wanted to open up his own kindergarten, which caused the police to break out into a cold sweat. It also mentions at the end that he was in Taiwan on an expired landing visa.

This article is even more hilarious. It talks about how a female police officer set up a sting operation to nab this guy.

[quote]顏舒怡說,接下這件案子備感壓力,平常到東區逛街是為了購物;最近逛街,眼睛卻是猛盯著外國人,而且擔心打草驚蛇,必須跟著對方,看看對方到了哪個場所,再向店員打探身分

十多天來,壓力大到睡不著,就連睡著了都還夢到對方。顏舒怡說,對方是個戀童癖,一天沒有落網,就可能有孩童受害,所以不只白天,晚上她也到PUB去明察暗訪,希望有消息。

直到前天,她得知有名外國人來台後經常到某家店,還留了電話給女店員,表示可以教人說英語,她認為機不可失,拿了照片給對方指認,確認就是李馬克。

Officer Yan Shuyi said, the pressure on this case was tremendous. Usually she likes to go shopping in the Zhongxiao area, but whenever she went to this area in the past several days, she intently stared at all the foreigners. She was worried that she might suddenly have to strike and pursue her target.

For the past couple of weeks, the pressure was so great that she couldn’t sleep and when she did, she dreamed of the pursuit. Officer Yan said, the suspect was a pedophile, and every day he wasn’t apprehended was another day he could have molested a child. She worked hard not only in the day, but at night, going to different pubs and checking if there were any new leads.

A few days, she learned that there was a famous pub that many foreigners like to go to after they arrive in Taiwan. She left her number and a picture of the suspect with a waitress and asked her to set up a language exchange with the suspect.[/quote]

I wonder what pub they’re referring to. I don’t know what’s more hilarious: that there’s some pub where the police would suspect newbie pederast furriners would go or the fact that this newbie pederast furriner indeed frequented this place.[/quote]

How come they assigned a female ocifer to the job of getting him? I guess they needed an excuse to deport him and teaching english illegally would work huh? And using a pretty policewoman as a language student would be a better snare.

Goes to show that Taiwan Police can get to work if and when they want to .

MT, in the Wang case I think the US did make an effort to arrest Wang. He seems to have hired a good immigration lawyer though…

Taiwan does cooperate with the US on criminal cases even though there is not formal extradition treaty. Here is a case from few years back where Taiwan deported a US citizen accused of murder back to the US

Ma Ying-jeou told the NY Times the other day that Taiwan wants an extradition treaty with the US. I find myself in the very unusual position of actually agreeing with Ma about something. Like the proposed FTA that Taiwan says it wants, I suspect Taiwan is actually not all that serious about an extradition treaty and its implications.

[quote=“Mother Theresa”]And here’s another Taiwan embezzler who fled to the US.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chen_You-hao

The US makes no effort to arrest and extradite such Taiwan fugitives, do they? So why did Taiwan arrest this guy: (a) because they don’t want him diddling kiddies in Taiwan, or (b) trying to change their crappy image regarding nonenforcement of laws in order to impress the US?[/quote]

Extradition treaties are not the issue. This guy has a visa problem and as much as some people would like to make it a larger issue, They are keeping it with in parameters. He doesn’t belong here so he is going home. Problem is? Where is home. With no treaty, he can get off the airplane at HK and go to Tailand. My jaded mentality suggestes that he is but a minor dillution in the expat pedophile ring. Hell, I hope he ends up in the U.S. but I doubt it will happen.
BTW, my first incliniation is to hate his ass. On the other hand, I know that sometimes the “pedophile” tag sticks because some fuck had sex with his 17 year old girlfriend. Or perhaps some sot likes to wank off in public. These non-violent and non-obtrusive actions end up in the U.S. as pedophilic exercises and cause many problems. Basically,they dilute the real meaning of the term. The U.S. just wants to catch sooooo many so called pedophiles that they can justify 60, 000 U.S. per year in housing costs and when there is no more space,they can justify 100,000 US per bunk to build each new space.
By the year 2020, the US will have 2 categories of workers. Guards and Prisoners. Y’all open your pocketbooks. And this nw hated so called pedophile? i WANT THE PARTICULARS!

This guy Pedro Lopez was one of the very worst child rapists and killers

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedro_López_(serial_killer)

OH GREAT…another nail in the coffin for our future as English teachers here.

Huh!? It’s got nothing to do with English teaching. It’s just a foreign criminal on a visitor visa. :roflmao:

no, but they say in that article that foreign criminals come here to be English teachers.

My bad. I didn’t read that. Hope someone writes to the offending journal and tells them to fuck off. Journalistic scumbags are no better than foreign criminals anyways.

From Taipei Times - taipeitimes.com/News/front/a … 2003436317

Says he was hanging out at a balloon shop…

He was out on a 2 million dollar bail, and was undergoing compulsory treatment for sex offenders, and the charges in the States are re. alleged molestation of kids up to three years of age. Then he upped and left for HK, then came to Taiwan.

A balloon shop?! Anyone know this place?

I did a little research on this guy and I found little to coroborate that this guy is an actual child molester or suspected child molester. I found no past news stories in San Diego California of any kind, he’s not on the FBI’s wanted list, and the current charges he’s faced with do not mention anything about child molestation. Yes, he’s been charged with physical abuse of a child or children, he bailed out on $2,000,000, he was attending mandatory counseling sessions, he jumped bail and he fled to Taiwan where he was arrested. I think the police suspect he’s a child molester and they’re trying to build a case against him, but it’s extremely unusual to have the authorities call him a suspected child molester, but have no past TV or newspaper news stories about him, his wife, or the day care center where the alleged abuse would have taken place. Sex crimes against children or even alleged sex crimes against children are huge news in the United States and it’s usually very easy to find information on the type of people who are guilty or accused of crimes against children. Also, individuals charged or even suspected of sex crimes against children are forced to surrender their passports as part of the condition of bail. If he is such a bad character, then law enforcement was extremely lax on making sure he couldn’t easily jump bail and leave the US via a commercial airline from Los Angeles! Here’s his charging sheet and the narrative of the PC code that he’s been charged with.

273a. (a) Any person who, under circumstances or conditions likely
to produce great bodily harm or death, willfully causes or permits
any child to suffer, or inflicts thereon unjustifiable physical pain
or mental suffering, or having the care or custody of any child,
willfully causes or permits the person or health of that child to be
injured, or willfully causes or permits that child to be placed in a
situation where his or her person or health is endangered, shall be
punished by imprisonment in a county jail not exceeding one year, or
in the state prison for two, four, or six years.

So he was a sunday school teacher? Nope, but it musta been rather big a crime to skip on a 2 MILLION US DOLLAR bail? And he mustve known the chance of a conviction is high.

2 million american dollars???!!! Who has that kind of money!!!

The $2 million dollar bail doesn’t have to be cash. He could have used his home as collateral if it was worth $2 million. Also, he could have used a bail bondsman and he would have typically put up 15% of the bail amount ($300,000) in the form of cash or home equity and the bondsman would have put up the rest. Wish I would have caught him. The reward from the bondsman for the bounty hunter who captured him would have been substantial! Lottery win!
Here’s a video news story.

2 million bucks is a lot of bail money… I have seen murderers being given a 100,000 dollar bail. I think the fact of the matter is this guy is suspected (or whatever) of a violent crime so perhaps Taiwan’s attitude towards this is different than Taiwanese who skips bail on a non-violent crime like white collar crimes. For some reason in America the penalty for white collar crimes are not that big and most of the time they get sent to a minimum security Federal prison which is probably much better than most places (outside of prison) in the United States… once you’re in there you won’t want to come out.

Oh, so he only hit them, rather than rape them. I feel a lot better now. :unamused:

Anyway, I think I have seen him at the gym before. Not in bad shape for a man his age–I am sure they will have fun with him in prison.