Taiwan population decline

Yes, except not give se Asian a path. give people a pass. or at least give nationalities that respect Taiwan a path or perhaps get rid of the double standard reciprocity BS.

There is already a clear path. Requirements for foreigners who graduated from a university in Taiwan are exempted from the 2 years of working experience, they have a lower salary requirement and even two 6-month ARC extensions to look for a job after graduation.

Probably the reason they are not staying is due to other factors and not because they are not able to stay legally.

1 Like

perhaps what afterspivak is talking about is how the gov gives out free educations to nations that recognize Taiwan. It would seem though, the purpose is more to send back ā€œalliesā€ to spread the back in their home country, not really to garner a few extra in the workforce. Might be reading into the point wrong though.

Either way, giving a path to citizenship (which doesnt require being stateless for extended periods) is very much needed. I have heard that has changed some now, but havenā€™t kept up with it as being dual isnt allowed unless you are Taiwanese or one of the very few exceptions they just wave a wand at and make happen.

1 Like

Iā€™m not aware of a SE Asian nation that recognize Taiwan officially. but yeah a lot of people donā€™t know they can stay but they rather go back and have a pretty comfortable life after studying here.

yeah they started to get their shit together, I got my citizenship without much trouble recently.

2 Likes

Micron Taiwan basically runs on local Indian graduates.

1 Like

Africa and americas. but regardless, they give out free educations AND living expenses to countries that wont recognize Taiwan too. It seems (to me) it is more to try and advertise Taiwan when they go back more than to try and get a few extra workers.

3 Likes

Its also to keep the unis alive here, basically a government subsidy as local 3rd level student population has dropped like a stone.
Then there are the ā€˜unisā€™ that just use it as a cover to importing labour.

4 Likes

Taiwan will dissolve six private high schools as student numbers continue to decline due to the countryā€™s low fertility rate.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a slow motion train wreck thatā€™s gathering speed.

1 Like

Is it a bad thing? Taiwan has way too many schools, which waste a lot of money. Some elementary schools have dozens of students, and there is another school 10km down the road. itā€™s pretty insane.

Save millions by closing schools in close proximity and low enrollment and spend thousands on transportation instead. use saved money for better quality education. Seems win win.

edit. sorry, obviously I mean public schools. the private thing is a business so they can run however they like.

Itā€™s a bad thing for people who work in education. Itā€™s going to become a bad thing for tax revenues and for people who sell stuff.

3 Likes

Other than some staff lay offs. I think making schools more efficient and less of a money pit would be a net positive if the saved money was reinvested into quality education. probably a very strong case that it isnt/wouldnt.

2 Likes

10km is a long way between schools. Some kids go to school by themselves

How come the government can close private schools? I thought they wereā€¦ā€¦private

Taiwan has loads of transport for students. like astonishing good amount. we walked to school in canada 10km, itā€™s normal. Though back in my teaching days I had students that literally got their family to drive them across the road. I dont think that level of laziness is really healthy for developing brains :stuck_out_tongue:

seems quite ridiculous to have 2 schools 10km away and each school only having a few students per class. these types of places I think should really merge. they already have full bus services. 10km makes no difference in busses and vans. other than massive savings. Some students are already taking the bus for an hour to go to school. I doubt a 10km difference would hurt.

1 Like

The schools that donā€™t have many students are normally elementary schools. Those kids arenā€™t travelling an hour or more to get there.

Calling bullshit on this. Two hour walk to school, are you sure?

This will be my last comment though. Doesnā€™t really affect me in the city. Yet.

Easily more. how do you think kids in the mountains go to school? my wife took an hour 15 min bus everyday to high school in pingdong. Loads of peopleare travelling extended time frames for school on the daily. Not all Taiwan is like taipei with mrt. but all of Taiwan does have pretty excellent services for people living far from.schools. its extremely easy to tag a couple more on and merge 2 schools that are waaaaay under enrolled. I used to drive students to our school from a couple villages just like this. each class had 3~7 students. and the neighbouring village the same. 6km apart. huge waste of public money in my opinion.

why do you think 10km to school is bullshit? I rode my bike unless it snowed. it was pretty common. roadsides were filled with kids in the morning and afternoon. not uncommon at all. I seem to remember you didnā€™t even get to go on the bus unless you lived a certain distance away. or thatā€™s what my parents told us anyway. I remember lots of school closures in BC I think 20 years ago because it was a money pit. and people were taking the bus 30km etc to get there and the enrollment was still hundreds, not dozens.

1 Like

Itā€™ll be business as usual for the ones that make it, is my guess. The MOE has all the power and money, and no reason to change

Reason or will? there are some reasons to upgrade education I would think. thatā€™s probably universally true everywhere.

I think they think thatā€™s what they do

1 Like