Taiwan population decline

Just let the bloody Vietnamese in. Easy solution. They are nice people too.

1 Like

Already hundreds of thousands over the last few decades.

The pipeline seems to be opening even more.

Yea but are they doing it willingly? Doesn’t look like it, or why would one of my classmates need to be illegally working 10 hour days while still coming to class.

Aging, declining populations in first world countries while the global population is growing isn’t a problem, it’s an opportunity. And an enormous one at that. The solution is dumb, low cost robots that are remotely piloted by skilled workers in low cost countries using 5g and 6g networks. These robots would be piloted 24 hours a day, 7 days a week by teams of workers in SEAsia, Latin America, Africa, and Eastern Europe. Onboard language translators would solve any communications problems. No immigration or emigration problems. Abundant labor would be available anywhere it’s needed, no matter how remote, difficult, or undesirable it is to live in.

1 Like

I wouldnt mind that if they weren’t such pricks most of the times…
In taipei there are still a lot of things for kids to do, but you dont see them out and about.
My colleagues who are in their “child bearing years” have zero interest in marriage or children, which is a sharp contrast to my home country, where an unmarried person in their 30s (both male and female) feel societal pressure to get married and have kids.
Im suprsed that the oldies that find the energy to nag their neighbors over every little thing didnt have it in them to nag their kids to have children.

3 Likes

Maybe displaced nagging? I suspect they did nag their kids - which may be part of the reason they don’t have grandkids, and are hence even grumpier now.

3 Likes

the curious thing is i never heard about it from any of my TW friends. ive heard "my parents nagged me to study English ", "my parents nagged me to buy insurance " even "my parents nag me to lose weight ", never once have i heard "my parents nag me to get married ".
admittedly, being a foreign married male, people might not open up to me about their romantic or family life that much, but ive been here since 2006 and never heard anything like that, not in office gossip, not in a night out with friends, never…

3 Likes

It is usually more subtle pressure and it used to come from the inlaws in particular at family gatherings. But I think society has changed a lot already.
30 used to be washed up for women in Taiwan but now many of not most get married after 30 and many never get married. This obviously affects the birth rate too.

Now its probably more like the west there’s a biological block ticking which may push them to hurry up in the 30s. Although most don’t seem to care.

1 Like

Thats the point… most dont care. and inlaws are also parents (of the husband), none of my male friends ever told me that his parents nag him to have kids.

1 Like

Last time I saw a bunch of the aunties was at a wedding six or seven years ago … their desire for mixed-race nieces and nephews was expressed with chants of hunxie / 混血 (my wife and I don’t have kids), which have not exactly inspired me to visit their corner of Taiwan again.

3 Likes

That just cracks me up. Sorry.

5 Likes

Step in right direction
There are lots of young people to help with taiwans aging population

Now extend this to any foreigner who stayed in Taiwan over say 8 years

1 Like

It’s World Population Day. TaiwanPlus takes a look at how the world reached 8 billion people while Taiwan’s population is in decline.

The birth rate in Taiwan has significantly decreased in recent years, resulting in negative population growth for a consecutive three-year period. A recent study has shed light on three main challenges office workers face when raising children: high living costs, stagnant wages, and an overpriced housing market.

According to Yes123 Job Bank, 74.7% of office workers considered affordability the primary reason to refrain from having children, 57.8% of respondents cited their inability to afford a house, and 39.9% expressed concern about lacking time to care for their children.

These workers believe that a married couple should earn at least NT$107,000 per month to afford to have children. Parents must also save nearly NT$6.5 million to raise a child until they are 20.

As younger generations tend to marry later, choose not to marry, or not have children, a white-collar worker shared that she would feel stressed about supporting a child while paying mortgages after buying a house; therefore, having children is not on her plate.

The spokesperson for the Childcare Policy Alliance, Huang Chiao-ling, emphasized that “finding affordable and trustworthy childcare services is difficult for parents seeking a local nanny.” Huang urges the government to stimulate birth rates by solving fundamental problems by expanding public childcare centers and workplace flexibility for parental leave.

出生率低、收入為同業最低!南韓當醫生沒人想選小兒科│健康│兒童│少子化│TVBS新聞網

2 Likes

Priorities

Yeah I’d say making sure you have a home to raise a child in so you’re not stressing about finances is a pretty reasonable priority.

3 Likes

Without a kid they will also be stress paying a mortgage for 30 years and putting 20% upfront in Taiwan.
I prefer rent and have kids. And do investment elsewhere.

1 Like

doesnt stop people anywhere else jn the world…

Well, I’ve met a lot of women who didn’t have paid jobs while they raised kids and the husband worked. Now they’re absolutely fucked for retirement because they didn’t work enough years to make sufficient contributions to be able to retire. Considering that in much of the developed world, you can’t afford a two bedroom property at less than 30% of your income if you’re not bringing in well over 100k USD after taxes, I don’t blame any woman that’s decided children are out of the question. And while rent had been relatively stable in Taiwan, there’s no guarantee it’ll stay that way.

3 Likes

If they want the birth rate to improve (and I don’t think they give a toss) then allow a lot of people in from sub-saharan Africa. Problem solved, for a generation at least

3 Likes