Taiwan population decline

Could I get a tax rebate?

1 Like

Uh, do you usually get a receipt?

Nope, I have been on that bandwagon for a long time. It’s gross!

1 Like

Yes, but not in a tax deductible way as it’s no business. The government sends you money. Literally. There are bank records.

Sadly, ex President Ma has proven this beyond any doubt. Other governments also basically vote buy and call it something else. Like a tax rebate :joy:

Double standards don’t look good in history.

That is only for the first 3 years , good increase but not much difference really overall.
They should give a large amount of child benefit or much bigger tax rebate if they want more kids . More kids means more taxpayers usually anyway.

1 Like

Aside form the issues and risks involved with paying people for babies (vs. Supporting families, a different thing) and the types of baby makers involved in said brackets…what about immigration? Creates a net gain on population, no 18 year wait times for babies to become work force wntities (probably more like mid 20s already in Taiwan, but I digress) and they get their bonus of promoting Taiwan like they already attempt via schooling bribes. I mean scholarships.

It could be done so much better. The pay for birthing thing we saw last decade is a disaster :nauseated_face: Taiwan could be getting better results with more positive schemes AND still wasting taxpayer money like they seem to be so addicted to. It’s a head scratcher, to be sure!

Sorry, that was the long way to avoid dropping the F bomb and the R word.

The only immigrants they can bring in en masse right now is factory workers and helpers. I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but they won’t offset the population issue as they don’t really tend to integrate into the country. Taiwan could try to target professionals but we’d have to become a primarily English speaking country to pull that off.

1 Like

I slightly disagree. It’s not can. It’s want to.

They could easily make Taiwan attractive to people to immigrate here. The fact they just get female Chinese and Vietnamese (on scale)is telling of their policy…which needs a redo.

2 Likes

95.9% of naturalised immigrants were actually females from South East Asia and China. Something like 70% are from Vietnam.

SHOULD WE CALL IT THE ‘POOR ASIAN WOMEN ONLY’ POLICY?

Very few Chinese have immigrated in recent years. Probably more HongKongers and Malaysians though.

Taiwan makes it easy to come to work here a while but still very difficult for vast majority of migrants/immigrants to settle long term, access government benefits and have kids. As we know they don’t even give disability benefit to permanent residents.

Ya, so, Chinese

Sorry, had too :rofl: that’s a joke. Well, it’s half a joke.

Well they are basically coming in as Chinese so nothing controversial about that statement.

Sounds like a banging deal!

Guy

1 Like

Yea, even stopping those with 10 houses (or 100+ such as hou you yi) from collecting more or taxing those house collectors would be seen as such. If you want to know how short sighted their vision is and fucked the outlook of the country is look no further than the bent old gits up guys up for election.

1 Like

That is simply not true. Countries with even worse housing situation have high birth rates (Israel) and countries with great housing have extremely low birth rates (Finland). The reality is housing has nothing do with natality. People are just using housing as an excuse.

Only RELIGION increases birth rates, and very specific ones (Islam, Judaism, Mormonism and some other wacky religions) at that. Import hundreds of thousands of migrants from the Middle East like European countries do, fertility rate would immediately increase in Taiwan.

1 Like

The reality is that it is complex. Values, influenced by religion, yes is an important part of the picture; it can’t be denied that the current year picure of familial values on Taiwan plays a role, but this is incredibly difficult -if not impossible- to alter through policy. I know women who don’t want to marry their boyfriends because of his parent’s expectations, and the government can’t change this.

But for those who are married or otherwise in committed relationships, of course financials play a role. If people can barely afford the coffins they are living in, where is the incentive to make more people?

Obviously, more affordable housing isn’t a magic bullet to Taiwan’s present demographic difficulties. Just as obviously, the fiscal challenge of having a larger home to accommodate more people -in addition to other expenses- plays a role.

You are correct that having more immigrants from countries that value children would help. And having affordable housing is part of the equation to attract them.

1 Like

I wouldn’t sell my seed for less than a million dollars a shot. :clown_face: The erudition and IQ that accompanies it. Worth more than heroin and platinum.

It ain’t meant for people that live in coffins or ghettos.

I would, NTD or otherwise. Do you know any brokers at that level?

Right, such as Canada and the United Kingdom - two countries known for the affordable housing.

The concept of complexity is not simple, but not exactly difficult. There are other reasons why Canada and the UK are considered more attractive destinations than Taiwan. Think about it, can you come up with one or two?

Speaking as a breeder what stopped us from having more children in Taiwan is the combined cost of housing and private international schooling. We own our apartment but would have needed more space. It’s surprising to me how many of my wife’s friends are childless and determined to stay that way because of affordability constraints.

1 Like