Taiwan population decline

One factor is people trying to delay military conscription as much as possible since education is a legitimate reason to delay conscription. So they’d be a perpetual student in order to avoid military.

1 Like

Isn’t that the truth! Even from the “best universities” in the world (c.f. Academically Adrift)

4 Likes

Very true! I had people with Phd apply for our office jobs which really do not need a degree . We did not hire her as from prior experience someone with a Phd had hard time working under someone with a lower degree (and other reasons).

2 Likes

But I kind of feel like this doesn’t speak of her competence or achievement? Since you’ve never worked with her :thinking:

Her competence we got from the interview (unable speak office terms plus wanting to learn from books vs. from her boss) and achievement is all from school and no real experience. (from the interview, Taiwan style resume does not highlight this much which I do not understand why people still post age, kg, how tall, photo, ect…)

1 Like

That does explain a lot about her competence. I thought you tossed her resume away without giving her an interview.

Tell me about that. I just skipped the part of the form. Some even asked for contact numbers to all family members. And there’s one really big company that asked me to filling all the blanks after I told them I skipped them all on purpose… and there was even “省籍” to fill in. 台灣幾十年前就廢省了好嗎⋯⋯

And I also really hate it when I have to put a photo on my resume. I just feel like how I look has nothing to do with how I do my job. But to look at the bright side, at least we don’t need to “write” our resume like when I was in Japan…

1 Like

It’s simple. No one wants babies due to family pressures, perilous working conditions, abysmal financial situation of young people.

Two problems are so easy to fix. Enforce current employment laws. People chose to change jobs to avoid dealing with bad management skills and behavior. Deal with the treatment of staff\ workers and lay them fairly and you will have babies again.

A large part of Asia needs a work-life balance readjustment. 996 becomes 007, and then you are out of numbers.

Working even harder is just not possible, and as many Chinese are discovering, even if you do everything right as you have been taught, good marks, good school, right job with big company. Your life STILL sucks, with no money, no time for yourself, and no hope of ever escaping the rat race and a boss that controls your life. If you do not value your own life as worth living, you won’t likely have many children.

Taiwan is a little relaxer, and bosses have one option the Chinese will never have: import of SEA workers. But it’s still quite unhealthy.

But as the world turns, maybe a new generation is finally discovering a way out:

1 Like

This reminds me of the young i-banking analysts wising up to their exploitation and sacrifice in the name of “getting ahead” (Goldman Sachs 100-Hour Week: Young Bankers Have an Absurd Work Life - Bloomberg).

Also, hoping for a population growth during this pandemic is just… impractical.

1 Like

Yes, no real need for photos for most jobs. But still me and co workers see and try for it not to influence how they work.

Yes. These dekasegi also experienced an identity shift of their own. Having grown up in Brazil they always saw themselves as “Japanese”. Then, after actually living and working in Japan, they quickly realised they are in fact thoroughly Brazilian.

In Shinzu people are having kids. Make more money, give women (or men) the option of not working and staying at home and raising children.

Is their evidence for this statement?

Evidence that birth rates in Shinzu are higher?

Evidence it’s higher due to the things you mentioned.

Search Biggus Dickus’ posts.

So you have none.

I do have evidence: Biggus Dickus’s posts.

In 2018 it seems Hsinchu was in the mid-high tier

https://visualizinghealthdata.idv.tw/?route=article/faq&faq_id=23