Taiwan population decline

Oooh! Get you!

1 Like

Yes it seems to have accelerated you are right. The government forecast was way off ! Now they are seriously behind the curve on this.

1 Like

And permanent tax free status if you have three dependents and an honorary title (e.g., The Generalissimo of Lewd)

1 Like

Obviously it’s not just about birth rates/death rates (although it is). It’s about an entire generation of income generators being considerably lower than income consumers. That will bite Taiwan in the arse within a decade.

They must know this, but don’t seem to care.

EDIT: I made those terms up, btw. But I know you understand.

1 Like

True that!
I didn’t say it because most people wouldn’t know Richmond.
Years I was playing Trivial Pursuit, and the question was “What is the biggest Hindi-speaking city in the world?” I answered (jokingly) “Surrey”- as everybody else was Albertan, nobody got the reference and nobody laughed. another game, also with Albertans (I was working out of Calgary at the time), same question, but this time I replied “South Vancouver"and got a big laugh.
(Serious answer I gave was ‘Bombay’. but I forgot they speak Marathi there- correct answer is 'New Delhi”.)

1 Like

Hey, I qualify! Doing my bit.

1 Like

Good point. They don’t seem to care.

It’s the problem with even medium term planning. If the policy makers have their kids ensconced in, say, Canada then they aren’t making plans for everyone.

1 Like

As far as I can tell, the current game plan seems to be to bring in as many migrant workers from SE Asia as needed to fulfill manufacturing / construction / domestic labour work—and somehow expect that the taxes these workers pay will keep the whole system going.

We’ll see how this game plan works once the number of actual citizens approaches zero.

/sarcasm off

Guy

1 Like

Sounds like the start of a Revolution – tax the peasants who have/make little to no money while the wealthy pay nothing in taxes and expect the peasant taxes to pay for their extravagant lifestyles…

1 Like

In this case, you also don’t need to pay for the “peasants’” educations or retirements.

Why didn’t we think of this sooner?

/sarcasm off

Guy

1 Like

People respond to their environment.

If their responses are positive they are seeing positive things in that environment

If their responses are negative they are seeing negative things in that environment.

The children are not breeding because they are experiencing negative things.

2 Likes

Excellent! Kudos to the Taiwanese government for taking this step in alleviating the effects of the 少子化.

2 Likes

Even if people want to settle down how are the majority of the population going to afford a house? Completely over inflated prices for the average joe. People also live coddled with parents for too long, they grow up as manchildren and womenchildren. What’s the motivation to leave? It’s really amazing nothing is being done about it.

2 Likes

Seems to be the trend worldwide,at least in wealthier societies.

I remember the flak I took because I would leave my five and six-year-olds alone for short periods of time occasionally, but kids need that independent, adult-free time.

1 Like

Indeed but it is worse in taiwan due to the bias towards investing in property inflating the prices and the low wages. At the end of the day people still need a house to live in, if that’s a hurdle then starting a family will naturally be delayed.

1 Like

Easy to rent cheaply though.

Yes you are right, just get a one bedroom taofang to start a family in! taking the baby out for every meal!

You can get 4 bedroom places under 20K/mo.

Not in taipei. 20k isn’t cheap either, people would rather buy than rent 20k.