Taiwan Produces "Non-microplastic Contaminated" Salt

“More than 90 percent of salts sold across the world contain microplastics,… The study by the environmental scientists did not name specific brands, but just three sources of salt in their study did not include any microplastics: refined sea salt from Taiwan, refined rock salt from China and unrefined sea salt produced by solar evaporation in France.”

3 Likes

Obviously mineral Salts shouldn’t contain any.

Strongly agree with this.

If mineral salt is rock salt (mined) then also included “followed by lake salt and then rock salt minded from underground salt deposits”.

Another news report You’re Literally Sprinkling Plastic On Your Food

Wait, non-contaminated food from China and Taiwan. I’m skeptical about that.

How is this possible. Taiwan makes high quality products (food can be sus sometimes) but thats very interesting that the salt is good considering half of the country has no sewage treatment. Woukd have thought microplastics woukd have been caught with the salt.

Microplastic contamination of table salts from Taiwan, including a global review
https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-019-46417-z

1 Like

Interesting.

• we decided to examine the most commonly available salt products in Taiwan for microplastic contamination

• the first detailed study focusing only on products purchased in Taiwan.

• All the 11 salt products from Taiwanese markets contained microplastics, and 94% of salt products tested worldwide contained microplastics.

Wonder if the study included

1 Like

Soon sea salt will not be good eat or need be cleaned if possible from micro rubbish, which all will mean higher prices.

I’m going to go look for this Taiwan refined sea salt but I’m not sure if this is a correct translation that would be visible somewhere on the package.

精製海鹽 Jīngzhì hǎiyán