🚆 Railways | Taiwan Railways (excluding High Speed Rail)

Amazing story and writing.

1 Like

The EMU (Electric multiple units) are from South Korean company Hyundai Rotem Co.
Taiwan had ordered 52 EMU900 trains and cost the TRA a combined NT$25.3 billion (US$879 million) , the first 2 trains arrived on last Saturday , the other 50 EMU900 trains are are going to arrive in Taiwan between 2021 and 2023
These trains will be tested before the Lunar New Year in 2021 and then put into service between Taipei and Hsinchu

Booking available only for express trains. For semi express and local trains, need to buy the tickets at in-station ticket windows
However the EMU900 trains provide bicycle parking racks so maybe there will be an online booking option soon

you can check more info in the following link Bicycle-friendly train

For Express Trains

For local/semi express trains

source:
https://news.immigration.gov.tw/PH/NewsPost.aspx?NEWSGUID=b47c0e23-eeca-45e7-8d74-3a983bcc1330

Part of the works to allow for the wires was a new route, opened a few months ago, along the coast south of Taimali - 3 tunnels replaced by a line along the coast with one tunnel and great views. Video below.

2 Likes

And the last of the “Blue trains” (the Non AC ones like @tommy525 posted) will apparently be retired when the Electrification is complete. Apparently some will be kept for excursion trips (good idea).

1 Like

Took the 11:28am normal train out Fangliao ! This is one of two trains that make all stops. Lots of people in line to ride this train (you can also take normal train a short while later) The train master says this train may keep running as it supports the smallest stations on the line with one customer a day (and a fully staffed and modern smaller stations like 枋山 Fang-Hill)

of FangLiao

Meal at 瀧溪 station, where I went yesterday

6 Likes

Out with the old, in the with new, as trial runs continue along the newly electrified South Link:

Guy

Good and bad news, more trains in the south here. The bad part is it seems the train sets would be better used to Taipei (from Taitung) where tickets are hard to get at times. I never had problems buying tickets on the South link and this weekend I would say expect for old train which was close to full out of Fangliao, other trains very light (I thought on was train had les than 5-6 in my carriage). I was in Fanglaio at 8pm, did not know they were doing test runs

Looks like the TRA Yilan is out due to a landslide east of Ruifang. TV news shows a train that has pulled up just short. Looks like they have been watching it for a few days and it finally gave way around 08:30 this morning.

TRA link in Chinese - https://www.railway.gov.tw/tra-tip-web/tip

Update - some photos here https://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/4069607

1 Like

Yikes!

Guy

Here:

Interruption in northbound services will last approximately 4 days, adjust accordingly.

1 Like

So southbound to Hualien / Taitung is unaffected?

Guy

You have to go north to go south on the east coast line, if that makes any sense.

Wife and daughter had to take a bus from Taipei to Yilan, and are on a train to Hualien, trying to get to Taitung.

Nobody knows if there are any trains going from Hualien to Taitung, they are just depending on their luck right now.

3 Likes

Lordy talk about close call
Lives were saved

But looks like the locomotive was banged up
Isn’t that one of the néw trains just off the boat from Korea?

I remember in the early 90s taking my kids for rides on old local trains through the countryside- open windows, open links between cars, stopping every ten minutes.

2 Likes

The trains (another on the other side of the slip) stopped short - so no train damage or people injured.

The train in the photo is not the brand new one, it’s 2014 vintage (EMU800), but the most modern currently running as the Puyuma trains started in 2013. The brand new ones (EMU900) are not in normal service yet, but they are doing test runs on the Western Line, I usually see one parked in the yard at Shulin when passing.

2 Likes

Repairs on the landslide more challenging than the initial assessment. TRA riders heading east beware!

Guy

2 Likes

Quoted from the linked article -

“Meanwhile, a rockfall was reported on a section of track between Keelung and Qidu stations in Keelung, northern Taiwan, around noon Sunday, causing train delays in the region, the TRA said.
Operations on affected railroad section returned to normal at about 1 p.m., with about 10,000 passengers impacted it said.”

Lots of wet ground in the NE Corner then. Needless to say, the Pingxi Line is also out for the duration as it runs to/from Ruifang and uses that same part of the Mainline.

2 Likes

The road there is too narrow for heavy machinery, so they are relying on the maintenance cars for repairs. Basically, carving a mountain with a spoon… As per local tv news.

It looks pretty bad, big rocks…and an unsteady mountain above.

2 Likes