🚆 Railways | Taiwan Railways (excluding High Speed Rail)

I hope these drivers have access to counselling or other forms of support. This can’t be easy.

Guy

1 Like

Yea you know it’s not like trains can simply swerve out of the way or stop on a dime.

Old locomotives have cow pushers for a reason. It is inevitable that you will run over a cow or some other animal. Best you can do is fence the tracks off.

Every train conductor should know this.

I hadn’t read about this until today, but it seems that the TRA have 50 New 12 Car express trains on order with the first due to arrive in June.

That should help with overcrowding. Now they need to upgrade signalling and passing/overtaking loops too, as mixing Local and Express trains slows the latter down.

4 Likes

Old EMU300 malfunction in Zhongli, these trains are supposed to be replaced sometime soon.

1 Like

That is part of a bigger project, double tracks, green energy, etc in order to service more passengers.

Did he survive?

Bloody hell! Did that happen today?

EDIT: Yes it did. This latest incident involved a northbound Taroko train hitting a contracted worker near Wuta Station in southern Yilan.

Guy

Doesn’t look like he survived

He survived.
This link also includes a video without those terrible shitty sound effects Taiwan news loves to put over everything.

Have to wonder why the worker tried to run to the other platform and in front of the train instead of just climbing up the one he was already next too…

1 Like

I think there should be someone in charge of warning workers of incoming trains, or the trains should be required to toot their horn or something before dashing through stations.

1 Like

Do they not have train schedules? So workers should know them and know when trains are coming. And also don’t stations know when a train is coming? Should they not have some kind of alarms to warn rail workers?

Finally the track vibrates quite a bit when train is coming.

Based on what we are seeing in all these videos, it’s crystal clear that TRA continues to be a terrible company that cannot manage basic safety among its varied parts (operators, maintenance workers, and contractors). Brutal! :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy

5 Likes

Taiwan News has posted a report on this latest TRA debacle:

Guy

1 Like

All contracted work for TRA deemed to be non-urgent has been suspended.

Railway construction work has been suspended across Taiwan until the Ministry of Labor conducts inspections and changes are made, after an accident in Yilan County on Saturday, according to a statement from the Taiwan Railways Administration (TRA) that day.

The TRA statement indicated that other than where urgent, all construction work in proximity to train tracks across the country will be immediately suspended.

The announcement came hours after a construction worker employed by Hon Yang Construction Co. (虹揚營造有限公司) was hit by a northbound Taroko express train heading to New Taipei City around 8:45 a.m. at Wuta Railway Station.

Source: https://focustaiwan.tw/society/202104240014

Guy

2 Likes

It someone jumps on the tracks like a crazy person and runs diagonally without looking both sides, why is TRA or the driver to blame ?

Not to blame, but there is apparently a lack of safety measures in place. I often feel that these trains go through small stations way too fast, even if the station manager announces those trains. There will always be people with headphones on, the hearing impaired, toddlers and what not. Slow down those trains already.

This.

Guy

1 Like

Because the worker works for TRA, or works for a subcontractor who works for them.

TRA takes responsibility for them. Also the worker should know better than to do that. I thought trains are supposed to slow down when approaching a station anyways (I know this slows stuff down, but given safety issues…)

1 Like

Ok but come on. I can hire you, train you. But if you willfully ignore basic common sense why am I to blame ?

When these incidents keep happening in the same company, one might stop and think: maybe there’s something in that company that allows these problems to keep happening again, and again, and again.

The following tragedies and incidents are just from 2021:

Guy