Taiwan RoCAF Fighters Takeoff / Landing on Highway!

ROCAF practicing touch & go’s yesterday on public highways. This is SOP when the airfield is bombed out or ‘un-available.’

Taiwan RoCAF Fighters Takeoff / Landing on Highway!

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]ROCAF practicing touch & go’s yesterday on public highways. This is SOP when the airfield is bombed out or ‘un-available.’

Taiwan RoCAF Fighters Takeoff / Landing on Highway![/quote]

I remember they got 2 or 3 places on Freeway number 1 that could be used for such purposes on relatvely short notice. F16, Mirage 2000-V and IDF on full afterburner. not bad.

Those were the helicopters that flew very close to my building early yesterday morning and woke me up.

Wish I’d have known that it was going to be in Changhua that this was happening - I’d have gotten up earlier and gone down to watch. But I only seem to find out about these things after they happen.

Maybe this should have been titled "Taiwan RoCAF Fighters Melt Highways! :laughing:

The EU has many freeway landing strips … Germany especially, they are camouflaged as very huge parking spaces along the freeway with removable deviders …

Yes, the Autobahn! :slight_smile:

Actually in Taiwan they got both German designed and American designed highways/freeways. Thats why sometimes it says “automobile” and another time “car” at the toll stop.

There are around 30 emergency runways like that in Germany and they have their own IATA code. The “Autobahn-Notlandeplatz” in Germany are using the highway but even the middle is paved and the resting areas are used to park the planes. Its huge cause it was build during the cold war in order to have US military transporters landing and unloading in case of war. The longest one is 5000m.

There are 5 highway landing strips in Taiwan, all on the West Coast freeway.

(The map shows one more on the East Coast but it’s not listed and I can’t find it in Google Earth either; I think they just put the icon on the wrong side, should be South-East of Tainan called 331 334)

probably secret so the chinese won’t know where to bomb…

There are more than that around, many on smaller roads than the west coast highway (I guess you mean Highway 1).

Ever wondered why your little country road through paddy fields suddenly turns into a six lane highway with no street light poles, no central divider, stretching for about 2-3 miles?

I have noticed several like that in Yunlin, in Pingtung, and in Taichung counties.

I thought it was because local politicians had money to spend and owned a part of a road construction company …

forum.keypublishing.co.uk/showthread.php?t=70388

[quote=“Belgian Pie”]I thought it was because local politicians had money to spend and owned a part of a road construction company …[/quote]You are half right on this one. How high a building can go depends on the width of the road passing by it. They widen roads to increase the value of the land on either side. Obviously the higher you can build on the land, the more it’s worth.

[quote=“Dragonbones”]Maybe this should have been titled "Taiwan RoCAF Fighters Melt Highways! :laughing:

[/quote]

sweet buttery goodness; that will stop those chicken buses.

youtube.com/watch?v=kmGmo1JK … ed&search=

If you were a pilot , which would you rather fly? The f16, mirage 2000-5 , or IDF (otherwise known as I…Dont…Fly??) ???

Barrel rolls in an IDF can you feel the G’s.

Apparently the IDF has a very sophisticated radar attack system thats beyond visual range and can track several targets as well. Its an early version of the one now being used on the RAPTOR f22 . plus it has a high thrust/weight ratio. so apparently its quite a hot little fighter

i

Ching-kuo Indigenous Defense Fighter

nice link TC