⛳ Golf - Taiwan’s Female Golfers

Hsu Wei Ling 徐薇淩 usually doing well internationally.

5 under, 2 shot lead.

I’ve only slept I will say 20 hours in the last five days," she said, after coping with the trip from the LPGA Thailand to Williamsburg.

Along the way she played a 36-hole qualifier in Arizona for the US Women’s Open in Arizona – where she actually ended up playing 37 holes, making a birdie on the first extra hole to earn the alternate spot for the women’s major in San Francisco.

Check out her hat.

5 Likes

What about it?

Taiwan Mobile.

Must be one of her sponsors.

2 Likes

Taiwan’s female athletes are outstanding. Very few might know, Taiwan has been a powerhouse in female power lifting holding multiple records in recent international competitions.

3 Likes

Seems she won !! Great news for Taiwanese women golf!

1 Like

No Taiwanese player in the top 100… Maybe she will get in after the win?

Whatever happened to Yani?

I have watched a lot of sports over the years, including golf, but golf in particular always reminds me of how rather unimportant sport is in the grand scheme of things. Trying to put a ball into a hole faster than others, that’s basically it.

:man_facepalming:

1 Like

Good news, she won~ English link:

3 Likes

One of my former buxiban students, a twelve-year-old girl, plays competitively. She rarely came to class because it seems like she was always in a tournament, but I’m happy that her parents encourage and support her. She really loves the game and I hope to see her in these news articles one day :golfing_man:

3 Likes

Isn’t the world champion Taiwanese or something?

Who knows? She went from the top of the rankings to not being able to make the cut in any tournament she entered.

Still the same. Still trying. Would be great to see her back at the top.

It’s all in the head.

1 Like

Nice win.

Unfortunately, the Taiwan news channel covers up most of the shots with the banner at the bottom of the screen.

So, if sport is unimportant in the grand scheme of things (whatever that means) how come you’ve spent so much time watching it?
How many millions of people throughout the world do you think make their living (and a huge number make a very good living) playing sport? How many hundreds of millions of people throughout the world enjoy watching sport?
When you think about it, sport touches almost everybody’s life, even you, apparently. So I don’t see how you can possibly say sport is unimportant. Imagine a world with no sport.
Sport, professional or amateur, is actually quite vital to modern life. Incidentally, your definition of golf is way off the mark :slight_smile:

1 Like

Korea also have some great golfers, just look at Yoo Hyun-Ju and Ahn So Hyeon

1 Like

My interest in women’s golf suddenly skyrocketed.

3 Likes

I know all that, sport plays a big role in modern life, their is no question about it.

I just question the importance of what athletes are actually doing and the attention they are getting compared to other professions.

I always think of a doctor joining Doctors without Borders going to a remote area in a poor country, rescuing people often risking his own life. How many of these doctors are famous, how many are rich, how many are honored the way a successful golfer is. A golfer, like all pro athletes and film stars, musicians, etc. is just an entertainer. He might play an important role, giving people joy and diversion, but he’s just trying to put a frickn ball in a frickn hole faster then others.

I think about this especially when watching golf, because of the whole social environment it is taking place in.

Thank you, my point exactly. I never suggested doctors and other professions were not more important. Your perception of the game of golf still leaves a lot to be desired.

1 Like

Not Taiwanese, but another (Phil-Japan) Asian Female winner this week in the USA.

My [Taiwanese] wife says it’s no coincidence that her sudden downfall came when she starting hanging out with 黑人 (“Blackie”) and his crowd. Kind of jinxed herself. Oh well. I hope she comes back to top ten some day.

I think it has more to do with not being able to handle the pressure, being at the top, but of course, find hanging with celebrities is probably very counterproductive when it comes to performing at the highest level.