Taiwan’s Labor Crunch Threatens Precarious Economic Recovery and Eateries (per economic news)

They can’t just evict you. They will be mad af though. It is an unwritten rule that you won’t use the address for HHR. My understanding is that then they will have to declare for taxes. If you want to use it for HHR then you should discuss it with them beforehand. A very small minority won’t care and let you do it for free but the majority will do it if you offer to offset their taxes.

They can’t, but they can decide not to renew or raise the rent so high you will have to move. The law doesn’t say they can’t do that.

Only four??? With project I’m currently working on there’s always at least four that are required to stand there and watch for various safety violations, then you have the QA guys who do nothing until a specified time of the day, then you have the government folks that really don’t do much except put their hand out, pipe fitters waiting on their turn, welders etc, etc. And as Brianjones stated this is standard in construction worldwide.

1 Like

Maybe with your small, neighborhood/local projects this takes place, but no way it happens in the large projects I’m discussing. Try any of that shit with large governmental projects, TSMC, FPG, CPC or any of the large multinational companies and you won’t be working there for long and there is a good chance the contractor will be banned for life if they receive multiple infractions.

1 Like

Maybe it can happen with TRA construction subcontractors but with that big train accidents a few years back, they are under a lot of pressure too.

That was very small and very local, I really don’t know or care how now those operate, but they are usually ran by the local village contractor. Not what I’m talking about at all. No shortage of workers for those projects.

For all these huge buildings in Taipei I never see any doing traffic control, trucks going in and out without someone actually controlling the traffic, cranes uploading stuff with people just guessing and walking on the street without anyone telling them and controlling is safe.

2 Likes

I understand and respect that. If you can afford it, why not wait for the right opportunity?
As a parent, if I can afford to support my children till they get a job that fits their skills I will for sure do so.
Employers will just have to find a way to pay more to make their companies attractive.

3 Likes

I hate management class use desperation to basically work a worker near to death, not give out vacation days or even overtime. I wish it were true that a huge majority of Taiwanese has a safety net to fall on so they aren’t taking shit job just to get by. Maybe this would force management class to treat their workers better.

It’s kinda like a universal basic income. Exploitation is impossible if there’s a universal basic income.

Maybe 30 years ago. lol It’s not difficult when any company meets the assets and income requirements for a skilled person. Wait staff though is not a skilled occupation.

You should thank your lucky stars… my company operates 24 hours a day every day of the year.

If you’re just running a data center to stream TV signals, you really just need one guy to keep an eye on things. Maybe even possible to do this remotely.

I mean the whole point is that you don’t have to work there. That’s the whole point. It’s fine for a company to operate this way as long as they hire enough workers to balance the load

So that one guy should work 24 hours day no breaks no vacations? lol Not everything can be done remotely.

i think you probably had very bad experience in the past, but what you are describing is industrial revolution England… work conditions here can be better, but in the last 12 years ive been working in TW I havent seen bosses work people to near death or deny vacation. There are many places that treat people fairly.

1 Like

Obviously you’re going to have people work in shifts similar to 711.

well you said one person. I’ll let you know when I need your help running my business :slight_smile:

Yeah I shouldn’t work for the company I own I guess. Isn’t that what employees are for. I don’t even get paid a salary, Such a slave I am.

What are you on about? We’re talking about labor rights here. If you own a business, you work longer hours but you also reap all the rewards and are directly affected by the success of the business. You also take on the bulk of the risk so it’s not at all the same as what we are discussing

1 Like

It has nothing to do with luck. If you tried to make me work 24 hours a day with no vacations, I just wouldn’t work for you

2 Likes