Taiwan’s Labor Crunch Threatens Precarious Economic Recovery and Eateries (per economic news)

I’m not buying any properties in Taiwan even if I got the money or the mortgage ability to do so. The down payment required alone is enough for me to move elsewhere and set up a decent life elsewhere. Not doing it even if my dad offers to pay the down payment.

Absolutely ! I couldnt agree more! I really dislike those men. I also agree they outweigh the women in terms of dickery. at least on the face of it. but I am also aware they were raised by women with useless male counterparts, so must insist on being inclusive with my terminology. Literally not being a dick, just pointing out the reality. No one is innocent, including the entitled little fucks that are running around like little kings and queens :melting_face: but ya, the douche bag dads that dont lift a finger are peices of shit. the moms, or perhaps aunts/grandmas, that emotionally disabled the following generation ain’t so innocent either. if we are being real.

3 Likes

I saw this in a FB group:

I guess if a restaurant really needs workers they would have to import them and call them a “chef” as well as pay the higher salary as required to get the ARC.

Or they may even turn to importing SEA workers for this… same way as factories. The language barrier may present a problem however.

Might work back of house but you still need front of house staff that can speak Chinese.

I swear I saw a guy sipping a beer in the job yesterday. I used to see guys drinking at lunchtime, but it was the first time I had seen one while actually working. Was in a rush so couldn’t stop and confirm. Hopefully it was just a soda.

1 Like

i regularly see construction workers come to the seven near my house and buy beers during their break

1 Like

Thought more about this. If companies here and especially HR were more used to working with foreigners, my life would be a lot easier.

Come fellow foreigners, join us

1 Like

I have, at Sishlik or whatever it is. But she may have been a manager or even owner.
Also, in the non-teaching jobs FB group, there are frequent posts looking for restaurant workers as long as they’re legal.

Also I don’t what the headline means precarious economic recovery…the economy grew here during covid did it not…overall?

In other words, they are not sponsoring work visas because restaurants can’t do that for servers.

So they are basically looking for Taiwanese or Gold Card holders or APRC holders, etc.

No, many more have legal job opportunities than that.
You mlssed jprv, student work permits, working holiday visas, probably a couple of others.

We are technically in recession now

Honestly I feel fine about Taiwans economic future

2 Likes

Means almost nothing except NTD has been getting weaker.

That’s because Taiwan was flying in terms of exports, yoy comparisons.

1 Like

Ye’s semiconductor boogaloo

1 Like

It has to stay weak because yen and won are even weaker.

While the export is in headwind, the domestic consumption went up almost 7% in the first quarter (inflation adjusted), which explains why you don’t feel it.

2 Likes

Leave the artist formerly known as Kanye out of this! :grin:

Guy

2 Likes

How many Gold Card holders come to work as a server in a restaurant?

Not the point of my post.

This was my point:

I got the point, I just had something to say about the details. It’s just a conversation.

Ah ok.

Well, to continue the conversation…

I don’t know any Gold Card holders, period.