Taiwan says No to Olympic Route

Well,I am not surprised the “NO”.
Because I never believe they will say “Yes”.

[quote=“wisher”]Well,I am not surprised the “NO”.
Because I never believe they will say “Yes”.[/quote]

No kidding. It’s not news when TI/ers say no. Do TI/ers ever not say no to anything related to China? Wake me up when they decide to stop pricing themselves out of the game, so to speak.

I think the International Olympic Committee had an inkling that Taiwan might turn around and say no. If you look at the route you can see that it can be adjusted with little disruption by substituting the Philippines for Taiwan. Vietnam - the Philippines - Hong Kong - mainland China.

We miss a big chance to show to the world that no doubt we hope to be recognised as sovereign ROC, the current government has no concrete plan to promote the goodwill of even being a good neighbourship. Actually it’s never a surprise as the fickle minded DPP govt has always show a talent for brazen effrontery.

Hi,

Well it does appear from this site http://zhuanti.sports.cn/huoju/1.html that it is China that’s turning this into a polical topic.

Why show Taiwan as China on this map?, why not list the last stop before entering China as Taipei/Taiwan?

My source of information is from http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2007/04/29/2003358722 and from looking at the map itself.

I find the following amusing…

Does appear they were embarassed about this gaff and realised they were in the wrong, else why make the sudden changes?

In my view, Taiwan needs to stand up for itself. Countries have boycotted the Olympics before. Remember the Olympics is an “ideal” its meant to be a symbol of peace.

So what’s wrong with Taiwan using to express its peaceful wishes - maybe the IOC should have done more to place a condition on China to remove the missles as a “peace” gesture before being allowed to host the Olympics.

Regards
Michael G

Well this scuttles my plans for a 2 block saunter with the torch here in Tainan.

I had my Viet Nam MIA-POW Harley-Davidson NRA Life member t-shirt out of its bag and ready for the photo-op.

Again I am amazed by the ineptitude and stupidity of Taiwan politicians. What could have been a world-class publicity opportunity is farted away by short-sighted, low mentality dirt monkeyism. Par for the course here on the island.

Hi,

You do have a point there, it would have been equally amusing if Taiwan just said yes, then decorated the entire Taiwan leg with “Taiwan is Free”, “Taiwan - offical sponsor of the Taipei Chinese olympic team”, “China’s wins gold in the missle event”, “China coming first in the missle tally”, posters and people wearing the Olympic tank t-shirt.

The government could change all the streets on the route to “Freedom”, “Democracy”, etc i.e. all the words banned in the Chinese search engines.

Regards
Michael G

[quote=“TainanCowboy”]Well this scuttles my plans for a 2 block saunter with the torch here in Tainan.

I had my Viet Nam MIA-POW Harley-Davidson NRA Life member t-shirt out of its bag and ready for the photo-op.

Again I am amazed by the ineptitude and stupidity of Taiwan politicians. What could have been a world-class publicity opportunity is farted away by short-sighted, low mentality dirt monkeyism.[/quote]

Hey, watch what you say about dirt monkeys! Some of us aren’t all that bad.

[quote=“mkegruber”]Hi,

You do have a point there, it would have been equally amusing if Taiwan just said yes, then decorated the entire Taiwan leg with “Taiwan is Free”, “Taiwan - offical sponsor of the Taipei Chinese olympic team”, “China’s wins gold in the missle event”, “China coming first in the missle tally”, posters and people wearing the Olympic tank t-shirt.

The government could change all the streets on the route to “Freedom”, “Democracy”, etc i.e. all the words banned in the Chinese search engines.

Regards
Michael G[/quote]
I guess you can blame the DPP for the lost opportunity here.
By saying “no” I guess Beijing gets a sigh of relief of not having to deal with this…not that the torch routes gets much media playtime anyways.

[quote=“mkegruber”]Hi,

Regards
Michael G[/quote]

Yep. That was pretty much my thought too. The whole thing could have been staged as a protest. Although, if the torch had come to Taiwan, it was coming to Taipei, controlled by the Blues. I suspect that China knew how it could be used, and set it up for Taiwan to refuse it, and then through Taipei as the backup so the Blues could blunt any protest.

Michael T.

what are you expecting? This was a political move from the CCP, in capitals…

[quote=“mkegruber”]Hi,

Regards
Michael G[/quote]

You said it best. I do shed a tear at this missed opportunity. It would’ve been great. Remember, even if you are Pro-China, its apparent that the CCP feels that the only way to visit “China” and see her best is to see democratic, free, and independent Taiwan first. As shown by the proposed Olympic route. Hong Kong a close and tragic second. The rest of China comes last.

But that still doesn’t mean that signs and stuff can’t show up at other legs of the torch route does it?

This is a good opportunity to wave ROC flags and banners on the route of the torch relay as it passes through Taipei.

Beijing can’t do anything to stop this since it doesn’t control Taiwan.

but they control part of the media, and half of the KMT…

By “soon” AC means at least 100 years from now, after the CCP decree that democracy is not suitable for China and that the CCP needs another 100 years. I’m guessing perhaps the poster feels that even 100 years is too soon.

By “soon” AC means at least 100 years from now, after the CCP decree that democracy is not suitable for China and that the CCP needs another 100 years. I’m guessing perhaps the poster feels that even 100 years is too soon.[/quote]
Actually if you ever bother reading a newspaper instead of FLG epoch time. You will see in Chinese (if you’re literate) or in English (if you don’t need pictures) that the politicians in HK have democracy high on their talking points.

You know like Taiwan politician with TI. Very very important to pay some lip service to TI every couple of weeks.

Where is the ROT agian? :laughing:

they want it, but will they ever get it? After the 50 years of Special Status, HK will be merged with the rest of China…
What do you expect from a country where they expect (and enforce) everyone to be “patriotic”…

You mean compare to a country where only 1/2 of the population can be enforced to be patrotic because not everyone on Taiwan understands the TI language of Minnan… :laughing:

By “soon” AC means at least 100 years from now, after the CCP decree that democracy is not suitable for China and that the CCP needs another 100 years. I’m guessing perhaps the poster feels that even 100 years is too soon.[/quote]
Actually if you ever bother reading a newspaper instead of FLG epoch time. You will see in Chinese (if you’re literate) or in English (if you don’t need pictures) that the politicians in HK have democracy high on their talking points.

You know like Taiwan politician with TI. Very very important to pay some lip service to TI every couple of weeks.

Where is the ROT agian? :laughing:[/quote]

See everyone? To you and I democracy means the actual practice.

To AC, just letting people even talk about democracy is democratic enough.

Wow. This asserts my notion that AC doesn’t like democracy in Taiwan and prefers it to be replaced with the good old Martial Law and White Terror.

ac, I think more than half of the population speaks Taiwanese, and I don’t see the government enforcing patriotism, else than the relics of the past. While you are over there typing your stuff, we actually live here, you know… and I never lived in a “green” zone… only got blue mayors until now. As far as I know, you don’t go around watching pictures of CSB all around the place do you?

Or is it because what you are talking about are attempts to undo the stupidity of the past (read KMT sinonization policies)?

Anyway, as long as the status quo goes on (read Taiwan Independence with a few constraints), we are all happily discussing with our friends if the president put his left foot first or was it is right?