Taiwan Shrimp, from Honduras?

Picked up some Taiwan shrimp to cook for dinner. Quick look at the box says Tainan so thinking probably from a shrimp farm. Looking closer notice that

• 原産地:宏都拉斯
    Origin: Honduras

All the shrimp farms in Taiwan and they import and package shrimp from Honduras.

Must be cheaper and more profit? And maybe it’s peeled in Honduras?

We probably export our good shrimp to other places. It’s been like that for a while, sea food prices have gone way up since I was a kid.

Eh those are Taiwanese farms in Honduras, joint ventures. The Technical Missions from Taiwan helped improve the local conditions for farming shrimp with knowledge, and there are Taiwanese businesses with freezers and containers and transportation. Lower tariffs thanks to trade agreements. Can export not only to Taiwan but also US, Europe, etc. Win win.

Taiwan does produce shrimp but needs more. It can use extra sources in case of droughts or typhoons. And business there is booming.

2 Likes

Yeah, a lot of Taiwanese down in central/South America actually. Factories and joint ventures like you described. I used to go often to build orphanages and set up computer labs for schools. And the locals think us “chinos” are so rich and introduce their daughters hoping i will take a liking and marry them lol.

1 Like

I knew someone would know more.

you mean USA shrimp? or is today Taiwan citizenship day ? hehe sorry funny, i cant keep up .

1 Like

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Thanks man.
No, really, I needed a good laugh.

I don’t get what’s funny?

I believe you

What are you even saying. What’s funny about building orphanages and bringing collected computers to set up a computer lab.

Asus computer sponsors many labs there. The key is maintenance. There is an ongoing project with APEC which is very successful, setting labs and teaching people how to use them.

If you guys are interested in helping out check out IMPCT. They set up a business to help locals sell Central American products like coffee from independent producers and have the earnings invested in the community through day care centers and schools. Again, the key is not only the infrastructure but training people in everything from marketing to teaching children using Montessori techniques, for example.