Taiwan soldiers can't handle the heat

Is 32 degrees Celsius too hot for training? I guess so. Apparently the gov’t is bringing back a temperature limit above which soldiers may not be taken outside for training.

So I guess we can expect China to attack in the summertime.

tw.news.yahoo.com/060305/195/2wqw6.html

tinyurl.com/s6zxk translated version

Maybe soldiers should also be given the legal right to phone their mommy when the drill sargent yells so loud they cry.

Suspension of training activites due to excessive heat/humidity is a pretty standard thing in most militaries - USA included.
There is no reason to cause injury to troops that can easily be avoided.
Suspension of outside physical activities does not mean that indoor or non-physical training activities are halted.

How often does it get below 32 degrees in the summer in Taiwan? That number should be 38, or perhaps strict orders on the trainers to monitor soldiers for dehydration, but no training over 32 degrees amounts to coddling the soldiers. Don’t young Taiwanese males get coddled enough?

In my experience it isn’t temperature per se, but rather temperatute in conjunction with humidity.

I underwent my military training in a very arid part and we seldom had suspension of outdooor training due to heat. But, when the humidity was up, and thank god sometimes it was, we had it easy … lectures, indoor shooting range, etc.

That being said, are there days in summer in Taiwan when the RH is below 90%?

Little kings, they are.

Check the young uns in the shopping mall with mommy and daddy if he can’t get things his way, and then the older ones walking around with their cute little water bottles with warm water. :s

A sight of military might? Yeah right! :smiling_imp:

[quote=“stan”]In my experience it isn’t temperature per se, but rather temperatute in conjunction with humidity.

I underwent my military training in a very arid part and we seldom had suspension of outdooor training due to heat. But, when the humidity was up, and thank god sometimes it was, we had it easy … lectures, indoor shooting range, etc. [/quote]

In boot camp these were called Black Flag days, and you couldn’t walk much less run around.

TC is right, getting heat stroke in a training exercise is stupid and irresponsible.

Go through jump school at Ft Benning, Georgia in July. :laughing: Every hour they run the entire company (in uniforms and boots) through outdoor showers. They also have choppers constantly flying unconcious troops covered in wet sawdust to the hospital. :laughing:

No pt if it’s over 32 degrees? Sounds nice. When I was in they just said to put some salt in your water and keep going. Of course that was over a decade ago, though. I imagine things are quite different these days.

My dad was at Parris Island, around the time of the Ribbon Creek incident.
His platoon was run through the river at night like the platoon at Ribbon Creek and almost everyone -himself included-caught pneumonia.

We use to have two a day practices when I was in High School in the Southern California summer heat. I don’t ever remember stopping because of the heat.

We had a pre-practice conditioning session BEFORE the two practices in the morning called “Gut Check” for the senior defensive players. They put two trashcans lined with plastic in the end zones and made us run wind sprints for a half hour. If we had to puke we were told to do that in the trash cans or we would be punished.

We had two guys hospitalized for heat exhaustion. They don’t do that any more for insurance reasons.

Maybe we could send some highschool football players over from the states to protect Taiwan.

I woulnd’t worry about it. It’s all politics.
If there are any Psycho NCOs worth their salt (backbone 'o the armee), they will have cunningly devised alternate forms of “conditioning”.

TC is correct. There are all sorts of indoor “activities”. Many much the worse to my mind. (I could never breathe quite correctly inside, all that STANK made me gag). AT least outside y’can get that full nostril flare…

[quote=“dearpeter”]Is 32 degrees Celsius too hot for training? I guess so. Apparently the gov’t is bringing back a temperature limit above which soldiers may not be taken outside for training.

So I guess we can expect China to attack in the summertime.

tw.news.yahoo.com/060305/195/2wqw6.html

tinyurl.com/s6zxk translated version

Maybe soldiers should also be given the legal right to phone their mommy when the drill sargent yells so loud they cry.[/quote]

Does that Taiwan military have orders for summer/winter ?