Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

Wow why would they be such assholes.

Real shitty move if true.

Other foreign residents, including migrant workers, will not be able to purchase the vouchers, according to Interior Minister Hsu Kuo-yung (徐國勇).

2 Likes

He makes it fairly clear here.

It sort of sounds like they really didn’t want to give them to migrant workers (and probably didn’t consider anybody else as is standard).

1 Like

Because migrant workers and foreigners never spend money anyways. right?

/s

10 Likes

Yes, why should the taxes of hard-working Taiwanese people be used to provide handouts to foreigners who will undoubedly use the coupons in Taiwanese businesses and stimulate the Taiwanese economy.

11 Likes

This sort of is progress, really.

Usually they simply say they forgot that foreign residents have ID numbers that differ from locals. Here, they apparently remembered that and set things up for…foreign spouses.

I do wonder if a person with an APRC but not on a JFRV qualifies - that wasn’t apparent in the press conference.

1 Like

A. Everyone can apply for it on July 1
B. 3 ways to apply for the stimulus vouchers

1. At the post office with your NHI card
  2. At your local convenience store
  3. With convenience store’s web services

C. Pay 1,000 NTD to get your 3,000 NTD vouchers
D. Choose to get physical copies of the vouchers, or link your vouchers to a credit card or digital payment method
E. Receive vouchers on 7/15
F. Stores that received voucher payments can begin cashing in on 7/23
G. Vouchers expire on 12/31
H. Deadline for store cash by 3/31/2021
I. If you qualify for low income benefits, the government will wire 1,000 to you to purchase the vouchers.
J. Vouchers are good for physical stores, restaurants, night markets, arts, entertainment, concerts, and transportation
K. Can’t use it for online stores, paying taxes, paying fines, fees, cigarettes, insurance, stocks, gift cards, storing to your digital-payment accounts

1 Like

Source?

2 Likes

Vouchers that you have to pay for? Seriously? I’ll stimulate myself, thank you very much.

4 Likes

This policy doesn’t even make any sense since its supposed to stimulate the economy, why would they limit it ? I often saw migrant workers at amusement parks here actually.

3 Likes

Can I have yours also?

1 Like

I’m a bit confused about the logic - is there actually any benefit to Taiwan/Taiwanese people of deliberately excluding resident foreigners from the scheme?

Resident foreigners seem to make up about 3.2% (=772,000/23,780,000) of Taiwan’s population, which is pretty negligible. And I thought the purpose of the vouchers was to stimulate spending/circulation, the vast majority of which will go to Taiwanese-owned businesses anyway, irrespective of whether a Taiwanese person or foreigner does the spending.

The only “advantage” of excluding resident foreigners seems to be preventing them from getting any benefit (and a small benefit at that - just 2000 TWD) from a taxpayer-funded scheme, when they’re mostly paying the taxes as well anyway. It just seems…petty.

5 Likes

Cause foreigners make up 2% of Taiwan and us westerners are 10% of that 2%. We simply just have very low bargaining power.

2 Likes

Department stores here give you a 1 to 600 dollar voucher for every 1,000 dollar spent on their annual sale event. This is like that, but you get 3,000 dollars for 1,000.

1 Like

I know but it doesn’t make sense economically. It’s not encouraging spending.
The migrant worker population is still substantial enough, what is it 600-700k?

That’s not everybody.

2300萬國民加上有居留權的配偶都能領,不限年齡。

5 Likes

Right, every citizen plus spouse with residency visa can apply.

2 Likes

My what? I ain’t paying for no voucher.

Yeah, I get the concept. I’m just not buying it.

i’ll pay for it, you give it to me :stuck_out_tongue: