Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

Doesn’t happen with just the gold card. You need an income above NT 3 million as well.

I’d consider that covered under “higher earners”.

well anyone with gold card should be a high earner, but the bar is NT 2million for that. Just saying…have to work harder for that extra 1 million at least :slight_smile:

1 Like

I asked the tax officials about that, and year after year they kept discouraging me from doing that. ‘It’s a lot of paperwork’… ‘oh you need bank receipts of all the transfers’. Wait, I have that at home… ‘it’s only a few dollars difference, let’s just proceed without.’

Then that one year where they tried refusing my rent receipts as a deduction unless I had a chopped letter from the landlord saying it was ok to use the receipts.
A call from Taipei to that office sorted that out.

3 Likes

Indeed that’s the reality. I think the issue is that some expats end up in places they’re not willing to leave even though that place frustrates them no end.

1 Like

I just don’t understand. What about my teens who eat more than I do. Parents with teens need stimulus :tired_face::joy:

5 Likes

yes, but not all and many foreigners in different industries are excluded, often jobs that really only pay average Taiwanese salary. Its just my pushback against BS from the system.

3 Likes

Esp. When the whole point of “relief” should be, I don’t know - relief?

2 Likes

Sadly the broad policy of discriminating against the hard working law abiding fathers mothers sons and daughters ,foreign residents of Taiwan continues.

Foreign residents contribute a lot to this island and their treatment is absolutely shameful right now !!

2 Likes

They even didn’t bother to clarify kids should be citizens (or nationals).

2 Likes

This is like… old. Or maybe I’m missing something.

1 Like

must be nice holding a dual citizenship of Taiwan and USA.
Get the american stimulus,
get the covid haven of taiwan,
now run to usa get your pfizer
run back to taiwan to ger your TW stimulus

6 Likes

I’m a single foreigner and I was able to claim my parents. It was a big tax break too. You just have to provide some documentation and you can get the tax break.

1 Like

You’re not missing something.

The vouchers-extended-to-APRC-holders (not married to Taiwanese citizens) gesture was back in late 2020. It’s not relevant now.

Guy

It’s more about the abuse of NHI but that loophole is being plugged a little now. Maybe.
But it would be shocking it a kid could fly back from overseas and immediately get this but a kid born and raised in Taiwan couldn’t.

I’m very pissed off at the Taiwanese response to this pandemic I think it’s ugly from top to bottom.

I don’t think a country that is actively discriminating against minority groups here , locking them up and treating them even worse than usual, deserves any external support.

5 Likes

The the treatment of migrant workers has been horrendous. Keeping them in 4 by 4 rooms and demanding they not leave the premise is a bad bad look for taiwan.

2 Likes

It seems the authorities here are following the Singapore playbook.

I agree it’s not a good look.

Guy

1 Like

Do they have their passports in hand? I’d imagine if they could f-off, en masse, they would. This whole thing has to be a dignity over money quandary for those guys.

1 Like

There’s no jobs back where they come from right now . And they often owe money and have families that need the money. Not much choice . The government removes the right to protest and equal human rights this is what happens.

10 Likes