Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

In the video they mentioned the stimulus vouchers will be modeled on last years vouchers, only difference being how much you get.

At the same time the video also says the stimulus vouchers will be available to anyone with no income restrictions.

Press ‘X’ to doubt (for the anyone part).

2 Likes

as it was to anyone with no income restrictions last time.

1 Like

It will apply to “anyone”, you’ll see. You just need to realise that “anyone” is defined as “anyone Taiwanese”. :roll_eyes:

8 Likes

Anyone = 本國人
:wink:

1 Like

“anyone” will be designed to exclude SEA factory workers.

4 Likes

4000 is free.
Although in my case it’s my taxes coming back to my family. Cos not much is free in life.

1 Like

And ARC holders.

1 Like

Ahh kind of like how the word resident gets used sometimes, but they just mean Taiwan National with Household Registration

1 Like

Hmmm. What about Gold Card holders?

Gold Card holders are too rich. They don’t any need money! :joy:

1 Like

That’s for the silver and bronze and plastic cards especially.

1 Like

Just so you know we lost all our income due to the COVID shut down and have a family of 4. So please be a little more sensitive. We’re barely scraping by.

2 Likes

I was being sarcastic because Taiwanese people are very confidently rude that “all” foreigners are “always” raking in the big bucks and therefore should never have anything to complain about. I have Taiwanese friends who hated me when I was making 60k/mo because I was making “as much as doctors”. (right.) Knowing the gold card income requirements, I can’t imagine anyone in the government is going to be understanding, even though EVERYONE has suffered lately.

3 Likes

Whelp. Even Gold Card holders can be affected by the level 3 restrictions and lose their job. Wish the government would recognize that.

2 Likes

Sorry you lost your job/income, but I don’t think the distinction between gold card holders and other ARC holders is remotely important here.

I have zero confidence that the government will do this given their past pettiness with these things, but I’d prefer they open the scheme to all A(P)RC holders who, say, filed tax returns for 2020, rather than excluding all foreigners by default then throwing a bone to the smallest group of foreigners again to show how generous Taiwan is. And by “all A(P)RC holders”, I also mean all the workers from ASEAN countries, which I guess is one of the main sticking points for the racist elements of the Taiwanese government.

Besides, it’s only NT$4000. That’s like, what, one-seventh of a month of minimum wage? It’s a joke.

I find it amusing how many news articles and how much hype I’ve seen about this scheme, like what denominations the government is thinking to issue the vouchers in and the silly “quintuple stimulus” name. You’d think they’re giving away free Range Rovers.

7 Likes

I thought APRC holders were eligible and thought maybe Gold Card holders would be similar. Sorry if I misunderstood. Just trying to sift through all the information. That’s the only reason I was asking. I’d take the 4000nt for food. I’m feeding 4 adults basically because we have 2 grown ass teenagers. Lol. Landlord isn’t budging on giving us time to pay rent and we don’t wanna lose our security deposits. Just been a little stressed. We’ll get through it. Thx for the responses though :+1:

3 Likes

Oh and the Gold Card application was pending and approved during level 3. So we got the Gold Card. Yay. But lost our jobs at the same time. :joy:

I wouldn’t mind an extra NT$4000 either, but (i) I don’t think we’re the most unfortunate group of foreigners to be systematically excluded from schemes like this, and (ii) I don’t see the Taiwanese government deciding not to exclude us. :slightly_smiling_face:

Have you looked into teaching online for a bit, or editing? (Don’t know what your skills are.)

2 Likes

There was a thread here recently about teaching English online to kids in China. Even though I assume you aren’t a teacher, it could be an easy way to get by until your regular work returns. I’m thankful my boss went online immediately and actually increased my hours during lockdown.

2 Likes

I’ll look into it. Thanks! My wife and I are residential interior designers. 16 jobs were scheduled and canceled once Level 3 hit. Either our customers flew to the USA/Europe or they canceled saying they don’t want foreigners in their home because of COVID :man_facepalming: