Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

See this is another example of how wonderful, friendly and generous Taiwanese are. Foreigners are so lucky to be living in Taiwan they don’t need stimulation.

7 Likes

Agree but wanna be careful not to offend. We absolutely love Taiwan and it’s the reason why we spent our savings relocating here. A lot of them are still overseas and said they are thinking of returning in the next few weeks. That would be good news for us. The customers who didn’t want us in their homes are old school wealthy. If that makes any sense. A lot of old school prejudice.

1 Like

An amount of NT$1,000 (US$35.93) will be deposited into the bank accounts of some 1.09 million physically and/or mentally challenged people and those in low-to-mid income households, which can be used to obtain the NT$5,000 worth of stimulus vouchers

1 Like

What’s the frigging point? Just give them 5000 in vouchers. Why make it easy when difficult can too.

9 Likes

Some won’t participate then.

‘Taiwan can’t help’

1 Like

Oh, great! NOT! :smirk:

That’s a surprising decision, given that 30-40% (or whatever it is) will then just go to Uber or Food Panda or whoever rather than helping the local restaurants…

5 Likes

I agree. That would just facilitate more of the same consumption pattern, which is NOT what these vouchers are supposed to be for.

Guy

4 Likes

rich_frogita

1 Like

“Taiwan’s government is planning to roll out a new round of stimulus vouchers in October to encourage domestic consumption in the wake of the recent COVID-19 outbreak

Really?

1 Like

I’m starting to wonder whether the government is paying the English-language news sites to keep running least-publishable-unit microarticles about the stimulus vouchers every few days. There’s no real story here – “they haven’t really decided yet, but the government is thinking to issue the vouchers in October” isn’t a story. Especially when many of us here won’t be eligible for them, and especially when it’s only a poxy NT$4000.

By the way, does anyone know if the topic of eligibility for resident foreigners has been discussed at all during the meetings? I’m not remotely hopeful, but just curious whether it’s come up.

Also, does anyone want to come with me this afternoon to graffiti “stop being dicks to resident foreigners” on the side of some government buildings? [/s]

2 Likes

My guess is that only residents with APRC would be eligible because they were last time too but ofcourse not immediately. But one thing for sure. They will make sure to have someone take a picture with a white dude giving him the voucher by hand smiling at the camera with the headline “foreigners are eligible”. They really love doing this.

5 Likes

Marriage based ARC residents and married APRC residents (some had to let their data to be updated by calling a number) were eligible from the beginning last time. :ring:

3 Likes

That’s totally my guess too - exclude the vast majority of foreign residents, make it inconvenient for the few who are eligible by designing a system that doesn’t accommodate non-citizens, and, when some of the latter group have jumped through enough hoops, stick some photo of a white guy with his stimulus vouchers in Taiwan News to show how generous Taiwan is to its foreign residents.

Taiwan number one!

2 Likes

Makes total sense as we know you guys always pay more taxes and contribute more than we do. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Guy

1 Like

Find a Taiwanese woman willing to help you out. Get married (on paper), get the stimulus and paid holiday (for both). Few days later divorce amicably. :grin: /jk

More rewarding than renaming yourself to ‘Fish’ for a discount.

2 Likes

How would this benefit the Taiwanese spouse? :rofl:

Guy

1 Like

paid holiday for shopping on her own stimulus :joy:

/ Don’t do it. I am joking.

1 Like