Taiwan Stimulus Vouchers and Relief Packages Discussion

Why fret over it when you’re a US citizen? You probably already got the US$ 1,200 stimulus check.

2 Likes

Exactly. AFAIK, US didn’t give stimulus checks to all foreigners there. You had to satisfy certain conditions wrt tax and residency. There’s nothing unconstitutional about that though right ?

1 Like

Also the US gave stimulus cheques to non-resident American expats.

So that money is now stimulating foreign economies, which seems to miss the point of it.

2 Likes

Great, so we get labelled troublemakers, and then set back on our quest towards dual citizenship. Do you guys actually think this through?

Karenning this is going to make them dig in.

3 Likes

Don’t be sorry. I hadn’t until you asked. But I’d assumed a constitution justifying gay marriage surely would have protections against racial discrimination, and it does. Article 5.

2 Likes

Trump checks for foreign residents on work visas
Even the Trump administration paid the 1200USD to many foreign nationals on work visas.

So the quest towards dual citizenship has been thwarted before by foreigners insisting on equal treatment? I’d be interested to learn more about this. Any links?

2 Likes

It’s not. It’s understanding the variety of attitudes within the government and Taiwanese society. Taiwan’s democracy is 20 years old. There are still plenty of people and an ENTIRE political party from the dictatorship times. But embarassing the government overseas isn’t something that is going to work well in the long run.

Think of a typical Taiwanese company, you embarass the boss for polluting in the river and make them lose face. You’ve stopped the pollution in the river but now they’ve found ways to fire you. You win the battle to lose the war.

The ‘it’s unfair, human rights angle’ works in the west because this is a firmly entrenched value of western countries. Many Taiwanese already think we get an amazing red carpet treatment here. A slow as-equals conversation enables faster progress.

You embarass the government, they will turn on us for causing trouble. Why should we have foreigners here if they just cause us trouble? If you successfully cause an international incident, you just cause the government to lose face and make us look bad. The xenophobia doesn’t go away cause you make the government look bad once. To change attitudes, you need education and conversation, not attacks.

Racism didn’t disappear due to the civil rights act in the US. But if we want the people in power to enact change, IE parliament, it has to come from the heart, not from adversity. I know because I’ve finally started getting through to some people in the govt, privately.

Attacks do not change people’s minds.

4 Likes

just wondering if apply for the vouchers if my spouse is Taiwanese but having marriage APRC (no wife’s name written on the front)?

Edit: please ignore my previous questions, I saw it was already replied previously. Thank you

I’ve got a JFRV and a NHI card and a Household Registration so no problem but my JFRV expires on July 29. Can I apply for the vouchers after I get my new visa?

I registered on one of the participating mobile payment apps. It said it was successful, but the app doesn’t know I’m married so curious to see what happens.

I promise that article was different when it was posted.

Which app was that, just out of interest?

I haven’t really bothered to read about the various ways of obtaining the vouchers since learning I wouldn’t be eligible for them as a regular ARC/gold card holder…but, given the care with which Taiwanese apps/websites are sometimes designed, it wouldn’t surprise me if some developers had forgotten to deliberately exclude the groups of foreigners they were supposed to exclude.

Would be interested to hear how it works out.

1 Like

I can confirm that foreigners with ARC/APRC and are not married to a Taiwanese is excluded. I just tried it for a friend at ibon terminal and it says he is not eligible.

1 Like

Pi拍錢包, the one for PCHome.

1 Like

I’ve thought this way for years.

I’ve argued that this is the best path for years.

I think that perhaps I have been wrong though.

I don’t believe that we need to fight for every perceived injustice that comes down but don’t believe that getting through to people in the gov’t privately means anything if they turn around and do the opposite in policy. Most Taiwanese that I’ve talked to not only disagree with the xenophobic policies of the gov’t but don’t know the issues exist - most Taiwanese you know probably assume you are a citizen, for instance. Policies like this are happening more and more frequently and primarily in recent years and since the blues have come into power, the only foreigners who have benefited have been YouTubers who have been flown in for the weekend.

2 Likes

Definitely can agree with this.

However, we, forumosa are a small group of a few hundred active posters. We are disorganised. We have people going twenty different directions in anger.

I’m a big proponent of organisation and slowly trying to get some people down to create a larger voice and co-ordinated efforts.

Why?

Because the MP told me so. I’m already paired with two or three more people from here. And I’d like to actually get more results from a co-ordinated effort.

You can’t ONLY argue a human rights angle. We need to hit it at several angles simultaneously. Marketing is our best effort, sales pitches, why are we good. How can we counter their counters? Are our counters made of granite or styrofoam? We have to incorporate Asian values into the efforts. If we ONLY use Western Ways in an Eastern country. We will fail. We need to think differently.

Anyone who feels strongly enough to do something is always welcome to PM me. A lot of work has already been done in the Guanxi department and more.

4 Likes

I also just tried registering on the website with my Alien Digital Certificate card, just for fun, and received an error message saying I wasn’t eligible (未於預訂核准名單).

I think they should make this available for all tax payers in Taiwan. Most of the money will be spent on Taiwan I am pretty sure.

Except for those who’s families really can use the extra 2000nt. And then Taiwan comes across as humanitarian. Good all around.

It is only 2000nt not 20,000nt or 200,000nt. And it should just go directly into the bank accounts of tax payers who use direct deposit for tax refund. And for those who don’t use that facility they should be able to register online their bank account routing number so they can get the money.

It would be better if this 2000nt would be per month until the crisis is over (as determined by the govt).

1 Like

I’ve just tried to book the vouchers in 7-11 using the ibon machine (includes Starbucks 買送一) and it’s not working - staff says the system is overloaded.