Taïwan Street photography

Dear all,

for my first post, I’m please to presnet you my Street photographies in Taïwan since 2012 till 2015 :

http://www.jiaoyin-photography.com/en/tw-1-0-2/

and the slideshow of 2012 pictures :

http://www.jiaoyin-photography.com/en/slideshow-tw-1-0/

Please dont hesitate to give me your feedback.

Izwal

love this one. wonder why this kid has his hands in his pants in public while looking so serious.

Probably clutching his Yui Hatano EasyCard.

Probably clutching his Yui Hatano EasyCard.[/quote]

I’d imagine that’d derive more joy…

On a realted note, what’s the legality of street photography in Taiwan?

Does anyone kn ow if it is legal to take pictures of anyone in a public place?

Well, I dont know about the legality in Taiwan, but I know well the one in France. Logically, you have to request the person you want to take picture, sign a paper, and after you can take the photo! The problem is, it’s not anymore streetphotography. So the majority of street photographers dont ask…

Generally speaking, legality is dependent on usage. Want to take a photo for yourself to put on your blog, FB etc. No problem. Same photo for advertising a product or service or business - permission is needed.

There are some good shots in there, but I’d suggest you edit it down a bit, or perhaps make sets corresponding to whatever topics you are pursuing. It’s legal to photograph in public in Taiwan, but if you are going to use those shots to promote something in a commercial fashion then you should get permission.

I administer a couple of groups on flickr you might be interested in, HCSP https://www.flickr.com/groups/onthestreet and https://www.flickr.com/groups/gutsyisland Gutsy Island. The first is international and has a lot more members, while the second is just for good Taiwanese street photography.

Had this encounter in the park today with an old local lady. I made a test shot of some trees and she walked through the frame about 30 meters away (I didn’t even realize she was there). Then she comes up to me telling me that I should ask permission first. I tried to explain that in a public space I have the right to shoot photos or videos of people (I am not quite sure about Taiwan law in that regard, and I guess if someone sues a photographer for taking pictures of him I am not sure how the judge will rule, cause this is Taiwan). I told her to imagine every news crew had to ask everyone’s permission when making photos or videos, for example of a demonstration or the Taipei 101 fireworks, but she was relentless. I just gave up and told her that no one wants to take a picture of her anyway, so she shouldn’t be worried. Think she didn’t get what I meant.

I used to hate when strangers take a photo of me in public. Now, I just think to myself, “they are not good photographers, when thinking that I make a good model.” :wink:

I am wondering, while photographing people in public might be legal, where do you guys draw the line, I mean when does taking pictures of people is intruding their private space? For example, taking a picture of someone sitting opposite you in the metro. That’s pretty close. I never do that, unless someone obviously wouldn’t mind.

Is it OK to take close-ups of people with a long tele lens so that they don’t even know it?

[quote=“hannes”]
Is it OK to take close-ups of people with a long tele lens so that they don’t even know it?[/quote]

I’d say no not really, that can be a little creepy.

also in most photographic circles using a long lens is NOT considered street photography.

[quote=“hannes”]I am wondering, while photographing people in public might be legal, where do you guys draw the line, I mean when does taking pictures of people is intruding their private space? For example, taking a picture of someone sitting opposite you in the metro. That’s pretty close. I never do that, unless someone obviously wouldn’t mind.

Is it OK to take close-ups of people with a long tele lens so that they don’t even know it?[/quote]

I guess it would be ok, but not only would you end up with a squashed composition that has no connection with the subject, you’d look creepy aiming it, and those things are generally too big and heavy to carry around with you all day.

I’ve taken shots of people on buses and trains, and other close-range situations. My general feeling is that, if the composition and feeling of the shot are worth it, I will take the chance, but it depends on the situation. So far I’ve only been confronted once, oddly by someone who was also taking photos and got into my shot by mistake. It is legal to photograph in a public space (as it is public, there are no expectations of privacy). Using that photograph for certain purposes, however, might be illegal if it misrepresents the people in it. I am generally fairly open about photographing and don’t try to hide it; I think people will pick up on it if you feel guilty about taking a shot.

I think that’s most important, what are your intentions when taking some stranger’s picture? If people don’t like to be photographed on the streets, it’s probably that they are not sure what your intentions are. Showing them that you just find them interesting might do the trick. If you feel guilty, it’s probably cause you are trying to take advantage of your subjects.