Taiwan t-minus 26 days and counting

Hey guys,
Ive been reading this forum a lot over the last 2 months or so but never got around to registering. My flight leaves for Taipei on the 28th of July. I am gonna be working for Hess, which it sounds like has a mixed review. I like the security of it, but it sounds like theres quite a bit of work that is unpaid, aka grading and lesson planning. I think ill only be doing the 25 hr a week or so plan, so that i have enough time to take a bunch of mandarin classes at a local university.

Im excited and nervous at the same time. Nervous, because of the language barrier (ive only taken 1 semester of mandarin so far…) and also since i dont know anyone.

Well anway, I am looking forward to meeting some of you at some of the meetups that people post on forumosa, bars, camping, etc.

Any general advice that any of you seasoned veterans can give? (Im sure ill think of several specific questions over the next couple of weeks, haha)

Bring deoderant and antiperspirant. It’s hot as hell now. Get a place to lay your head, then get a used scooter. A 125cc scooter will get you anywhere you need to go. A 150cc will get you anywhere you want to go.

JD, i think it’s way better to suggest folks watch the way the traffic works from a taxi or the back of someone else’s scoot before leaping on one themselves, especially when they state at the outset they’re hoping to meet up in pubs.

In fact, if you can avoid the scoot commute altogther you will save yourself a considerable slice of the hassle and stress of living in Taiwan. Taxis are cheap and everywhere. You can work on your Mandarin with the long-suffering drivers.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]JD, i think it’s way better to suggest folks watch the way the traffic works from a taxi or the back of someone else’s scoot before leaping on one themselves, especially when they state at the outset they’re hoping to meet up in pubs.

In fact, if you can avoid the scoot commute altogther you will save yourself a considerable slice of the hassle and stress of living in Taiwan. Taxis are cheap and everywhere. You can work on your Mandarin with the long-suffering drivers.

HG[/quote]

Well, I say that because there are many places outside of taipei city that are fun to explore and doing so in a txi or on a bus well…sucks.

But you are right of course. Don’t ride to a bar and get fecesfaced; within city limits there is no excuse for drunk driving…and outside, just don’t. :wink:

Thanks for the advice so far. Im planning on getting a scooter after a little while. You guys dont have to worry about me taking the scooter to the bars. I cant think of many more activities that would be as dangerous and drunken city scooter driving.

In Taiwan?? lol

Try walking. :laughing:

Please also be aware that you have missed the deadline for the tax rebate and that you will pay 20% tax until the end of the year, non-refundable. Work that into your calculations.

He’s right. Ouch.