Taiwan taco & drinks

I am starting to think to really open and franchise. I saw Ding Tea with ONE outlet in Taiwan, but seems 100’s franchised outlets out of Taiwan selling a Taiwan product, Maybe open street stall and franchise it, haha

2 Likes

McCormick seasoned crappy food should make the latino commity roll over in their graves. But ya, a great opportunity for a cheap food franchise, no question. A taco bell would do fine here way better than burger king. Note, it has been done her before with mexican and failed. Perhaps with good logistics and business skills it could work with the new uprise in taiwan for “similar yet foreign foods”. Especially if one can hook up with farmers to grow the few things that arent really common here already: beans, chilis, nopales etc. Wouldnt be hard logistically, but might be hard financially aka marketing/selling setups :wink:

2 Likes

So I am thinking now to start and do something after your new business chat at the other one on this topic. Over the years have started one mid sized business in Taipei, and other regional business services office in KHH (which is a part of overseas Corp. now) so maybe something with a local roots (Kao-Ping-Taitung) and branches overseas interest me as a project and challenge. So I will study it more and see if a Recipe Be Patented? as copyright and trademark rules locally (the process is slow though)

2 Likes

I think it’d be important to hire a professional chef before creating the menu if you’re looking at creating a larger franchise. I know basic things about food, but I’m no professional.

Luckily, many new world foods have already become staples in Taiwan. The climate here makes growing American crops easier it seems.

For example, there’s a large variety of avacodos already grown here. From what I understand, they are a bit firmer than the California variety, but they might work perfect for mashed avacodo dishes (like guacamole). We’ve seen that peppers also grow well here. I think if you can sub authentic peppers for locally grown varieties (although all peppers originate from the Americas) you could keep costs down while not significantly modifying taste.

Cilantro is also cherished by taiwanese which I think makes a lot of dishes an easy sell.

The hardest things to obtain will be beans, tomatillos, and hominy as well as some of the more local herbs such as epizote. But these can be switched out without completely ruining the dish (you can boil black beans with a mix of oregano and cilantro which makes them pretty damn good).

Taiwanese also love soup which works fine with Mexican cuisines. You could easily introduce various caldos, menudo, and Pezole (which uses pork or chicken which helps out with the expensive beef issue).

I also think desserts would work well. Could easily pump out Horchata, Agua frescas, ECT as well as tres leches cakes, flan, arroz con leches, ECT.

If you wanted to start small, I think a nightmarket stand selling authentic elote would be a huge hit especially since Taiwanese are already used to roasted corn at the nightmarket

1 Like

Best of luck! But a side note in my opinion. Drinks are by far easier and way less overhead. They are a cash cow that keeps on giving. Restaraunts/eateries are much harder!

Good ideas !!! Bubble Horchata Tea drink ! Bubble Agua frescas, there might be Agua de Jamaica already.

1 Like

The roselle fad has already come and gone locally. But probably still worth a marketing campaign in some countries :slight_smile:

1 Like

I will still try as well some other Mex flavors to have have TaiTex.

2 Likes

TaiTex. Like atexmex type hybrid but taiwanese? I could see loving that! Let us know when you get something going :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I will try mix it up! Old photo a few months ago, Taiwan, Mexican and Hawaiian juices and jelly.

1 Like

There are lots of raw local ingredients that easily mesh well with mexican styles. if local taiwan sales are te goal, that is a huge fad here in food. Local produced. Zai di (i probably butchered the pinyin)

Even the guavas are actually basically the same, just the cultivation process is different because taiwan goes for kg and shelf life over quality and flavor. Offer to buy rejects from a taiwanese guava farmer and you are in business :wink: both on costs and with Guan Xi because the producers now have a market for what,they considered waste before :slight_smile: food producers that do these things, and market the obvious, are doing quite well currently!

1 Like

Haha, thanks for the advice on the Guava! I was thinking also using Coco fruit pulp with its fruit flavors.