Taiwan: Talking to police, Right to remain silence, Lawyering up

Police, detectives and prosecution also do investigation.

When you speak, anything you say will be considered as evidence and can and will be used against you in a court of law.

:roll:

Remember, corruption and nepotism and obstruction of justice is illegal.

P
“Proving” & “Investigating” are 2 different things though.

Investigating is part of proving.

Of course it is. But it doesn’t necessarily lead to it.

What is your point?

@Exnihilo if was you be out of Taiwan to Vietnam, South Korea or Thailand if you can.
Fuck Taiwan, only foreigners drink drive, we will teach them a lesson.

More I use and read Forumosa the more I want to leave Taiwan.

I have family who is PO in Taiwan but they are just a foot soldier. It never helped me any.

Because you can’t drink and drive? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Even if you only have one beer, there are still very viable alternatives to driving in Taiwan.

I think many forumosa complaints need to be taken with a grain of salt. People don’t usually or mention about good things. I certainly didn’t mention my very smooth MRT ride this morning.

1 Like

What are you on about?

i hope you’re not driving in that state. :beer: :wine_glass: :tumbler_glass: :cocktail: :sake:

Less so the place. I really dont get what everyone is on about with that small point of it being in Taiwan, nor the points about how fucked Taiwan is. At least for me, my point is more so the issue that people cant/wont trust police. Not only is this a real problem that leads to real problems in reality, it is a solvable problem…And, we just happen to be in Taiwan talking about this.

Surely I cant be that weird to be the one thinking this is just a silly thing that should be fixed? And that it is sad it isnt really being addressed in any meaningful ways! people get hurt by people being afraid to stand up, or come forward on the daily. it’s a real issue.

In canada and Italy too if it makes people feel better. but geography is not my point at all aside from the fact we live here and should care about here first before trying to fix other country’s issues.

We’re not on the same wavelength here, I think. I made a point about not being able to trust what the police tell you here. I expanded on that a bit with an opinion about a broader cultural attitude, which would naturally be amplified among one of the most cynical slices of the population in any country I’m sure (the police). I didn’t say anything like “how fucked Taiwan is”. I do live here by choice, after all. And I could say good things about the police as well. But, also bad things.

Call me cynical, but I find it a little weird. You’ve been here a long time I assume. We’ve seen a number of different democratically elected governments come and go, but things seem much more the same then reformed. I had some hopes in the early days of democratization. I tend to think it is what it is now. I hope to be proven wrong.

1 Like

There are posts above that are talking about how Taiwan is fucked, i was talking about those. I dont want to tag specific posters, but it’s easy to see above. I find those strange :slight_smile: especially when the point is about a lack of trust in the justice system, not so much about which country’s justice system is better or worse. Just simply that it is bad that society in general may not trust their justice system, and that is bad. I think everyone here probably actually agrees with that. We happen to be talking about Taiwan cause we live here. Thus, I find it strange people are taiwan is bad, when it is the trust in the system is bad and we are in Taiwan talking about it.

This is what I dont get, it’s not so confusing. At least for me, I am not saying anything about how taiwan is terrible like what was posted above. However everyone is agreeing that we should shut up or risk co.sequences talking to the police. my only point is that this is sad (bad) that a society has so little faith inthe justice system. And that lack of faith is earned, which I agree with. Everyone is agreeing, but then disagreeing. Makes no sense. My only add in was that this isnt good lol :upside_down_face:

That’s true anywhere, anywhere where you have that right anyway. It’s pretty simple–by talking to the police you risk incriminating yourself, whether rightly, or with horrifying frequency, wrongly.

You equally have the right to talk to the police as much as you want, so all is well?

You can’t agree with me if you consistently misinterpret my point.

Where are people being afraid to ‘stand up’?

That is not my point.

:roll: I know this one is directed at me.

I think a number of posters here are misunderstanding @Explant 's lament. As I understand it, he is expressing a wish (it’s aspirational perhaps more so than realistic) that we were living in a higher trust society in which, say, witnesses to all manner of bad behavior in, say, a certain county in the south of the island, would not hesitate to blow the whistle on those badly bahaving dudes. Instead they put their head down, keep quiet, don’t say anything—and the bad behavior continues unabated.

That’s how I understood his position anyways. :person_shrugging:

Now ducks as he waits for all manner of attacks.

Guy

2 Likes

Sure it would be great. It’s interesting that the civil service in general has reformed to an amazing degree. The police, I’m not feeling it. Not sure what people think about the military.

1 Like

This is what I have been saying isnt great. maybe I am misreading what Marco says?

Ideally talking to the police and helping solve problems should be a good thing, without risk of horrifyingly frequent wrongs.

I view this situation as a negative, not a positive. I am agreeing that it is reality.

1 Like

Essentially yes :slight_smile:

1 Like