Taiwan Taxes

I’m all about the single annual cash payment. I find it makes the experience feel more visceral.

3 Likes

i find paying off my credit card after i charge something on it more visceral too… oh yes, i earn points!

OK, dumb question: how do I pay my taxes with a credit card? Can I just go to a 7-11 and use LINE for that? Or can I go to CTBC (I’ve got a credit card with them) and pay with my credit card there? Or is this just an option for paying taxes online, which I’ve never done and will probably never do?

The points, baby, the points! (Maybe. Last year the taxes deducted were uncannily accurate, and I only had to pay an additional few hundred dollars. I haven’t calculated this year yet.)

ypu probably wont get points for tax payments. its usually only for “real” consumption.

1 Like

based on what i’ve read so far, you can’t pay tax with your credit card via 7-11, you have to pay cash in 7-11, i think the same goes when you go to a bank branch (i might be wrong). As @marasan mentioned, you can only pay with your credit card when you use the e-filing system (software that you download into your PC/Mac), or you can go to this website - https://paytax.nat.gov.tw/ and input all the necessary information for when paying online with your credit card

3 Likes

What are the benefits of paying taxes with a credit card?
A 1. Easy to use: As long as the taxpayer uses a credit card issued by a bank that has joined the tax payment service, the tax payment can be completed by calling or surfing the Internet, and no additional application is required.

1. Deferred payment: Use a credit card to pay tax, you can wait until you receive the bill before paying the tax, and enjoy the benefits of deferred payment.

2. Convenient fund scheduling: People who need to apply for tax-paying loans from banks have more options for credit card tax payment, and fund scheduling is more flexible.

3. Accumulate bonus points: At present, most of the card-issuing banks offer bonuses, cash rewards or mileage rewards. Therefore, paying taxes with a credit card can quickly accumulate points and exchange for cash or mileage rewards.

4. Payment security: You do not need to carry a large amount of cash to pay at the counter, which greatly improves payment security.

5. No time limit: payment can be made within 24 hours during the settlement declaration period.

3 Likes

https://paytax.nat.gov.tw/FAQ.aspx?CATALOG=EB.SE.FAQ.Dictionary.Card

1 Like

Occasionally my spouse or friends will wonder why I go to a bank rather than a convenience store for things like paying off credit card bills. I know, I know, paying a 25,000 bill in the 7-11 is pretty safe, but I don’t think I’ll ever feel comfortable handing over that much cash in a convenience store.

i learned something new today.
i oaid tuition with a credit card, and dodnt get any points, Cathay bank told me points are only for consumption, and not tuition or bills.

that’s just silly, one of my colleagues paid for her insurance using her CTBC LinePay co-branded credit card and she got like 10K worth of Line points. There’s so much ambiguity with banks here in Taiwan, not complaining, just facts

Does the tax payment still count against the credit card’s limit? Any chance to get a limit increase for that purpose? :thinking:

Any tips for credit cards which give points or good rewards for the tax payment?

Only time I’ve noticed not getting points here is when I bought something on an installment plan - i.e. air conditioners paid for over three months, rather than all at once. Which I regretted, because it would have been a lot of points, and I had no need to pay by installment.

But unfortunately there’s a ton of stuff (especially insurance) that’s on my wife’s credit card, not mine, ostensibly due to the hassles of banking while foreign, but perhaps she’s just seeking points.

as far as i know, tax payment count against your credit limit - perhaps you can call your bank for a limit increase or go to their website and login with your credentials. I always see an option there for request to “increase credit limit”

yep, totally agree. installments don’t earn points

Incidentally, just came across this while looking for something else - CTBC is included.

cctax

Full version here: https://download.tax.nat.gov.tw/ifn/UserGuide.pdf

1 Like

How do you file taxes if you have no paperwork. Been in Taiwan last year 4.5 months, so only need to pay taxes on a small salary my LTD pays out to myself.

In Cyprus you don’t get anything on paper. I pay myself the minimum allowed the rest is dividend. So 24.000ntd per month or so. Or better just drop it all together.

The only thing I can print out is an email stating my tax calculation in Cyprus…

I didn’t even bother to send that money every month but only once per year all months … so bank statement won’t do either…

This is going to suck, because you’ll need to pay the non-resident rate of 18% (I think) with no deductions or exemptions. From what I understand, that’ll only be for the salary component paid while you were in Taiwan though.

The tax office has a list of required documentation, but I’ve found them to be quite flexible if you can’t fully comply (my attitude was along the lines of “this is what I have - do you want the tax or not?” :roll_eyes:).

There’s some more info in this thread:

2 Likes

Yes it will only be 18 percent of 3600 euros. Do you have to go in person or can you File online?

I mean they won’t even know I had any salary. I doubt they can get any information from Cyprus.

You should be able to file online, but you’d of course need to input the details of foreign income into the tax software manually. After submission, you get a form to print out allowing you to pay in a bank/convenience store and you’re supposed to send supporting evidence by mail within 7 days or whatever. A couple of caveats:

• You need some form of ID to register with the tax software (I think it allows an NHI card, an Alien Citizen Digital Certificate, and 2-3 others - not sure). I remember you’re here on a gold card, but I’m not sure whether you have the first two. If not, it’d likely be easier to go to the tax office.
  • As you say, you don’t have the supporting documentation. They’ll expect that to be mailed in, and they may contact you later if they think there’s a problem with what you submit (it took them 5-6 months to do that for me). I think it’d be easier for you to just go there and explain your situation and get it sorted. I took my documentation there in person anyway because it was maybe 50-60 pages of invoices etc. and I doubted that they’d understand what I was submitting if I just mailed it (plus it was just as convenient to go to the tax office as to the post office).
  • I think your tax will be slightly higher than the NT$20k you’re allowed to pay in a convenience store (IIRC), so you’ll likely need to pay in a bank anyway.
  • IIRC, you’re in Taichung. This might be outdated info nowadays, but I understand that the tax offices in other cities are less familiar with the rules for foreigners/overseas income compared with the tax office in Taipei. They might end up telling you something like you don’t need to pay tax on foreign income below NT$6.7 million (incorrect), in which case you can shrug and move on, safe in the knowledge that you tried to pay taxes and a government employee told you they didn’t want it.

Overall, I think it’d be easier and faster going in person, but online might also be doable.

Yeah, I don’t think they’d know if you don’t tell them. That’s your decision, of course. :whistle:

2 Likes

Answering that one: I just tried choosing the “pay by credit card” option without taking to my bank first. Some minutes later, I received the following notification:

(Rough meaning according to Google Translate: You’ve gone over your credit limit. However, we’ve still approved your transaction. But now you need to pay in full!)

I guess that means I won’t be able to use my credit card for some days now. But if I’m lucky, I’ll get 0.2% back - unless that doesn’t apply to payments over the limit… :whistle:

1 Like