Taiwan Taxes

NT$120000

“(f) Rental Expense: Rent for housing in the R.O.C. paid by a taxpayer, his/her spouse, and their lineal dependents filing jointly and used as their own residence rather than for business or performing professional services, may be deducted from their consolidated income up to and within a limit of not more than NT$120,000; however, no deduction can be claimed if he/she also claims the deduction for mortgage interest paid on a loan for an owner-occupied residence. To deduct the rental expense, the following documents must be attached:
i. Copy of the lease contract and payment receipt (such as receipt from landlord, ATM receipt, or remittance paper).
ii. The certificate of a family member who has registered residence in the Household Registration Office or registered residence on the ARC for the related fiscal year, or the taxpayer’s written statement to state that the house is for self-used residence only.”

1 Like

But how do I calculate how much I get back? Is it a percentage of the total?

If you use the filing software it calculates it. You can see the real time results in the upper-right of the screen as you make changes.

Standard deduction is NT$90000, so the difference if NT$30000. If you cannot use any other deductions, and your tax rate is 10%, your tax is NT$3000 less than using standard deduction. If you use rent deduction, you might have a trouble with your landlord, though.

mi no entender chino.

Please go to the tax office. Please get the form for residents living here more than 183 days in 2017. If you’re simply declaring income (i.e. not running a business) the calculations are easy (some may say incredibly easy). Do yourself a favour. Really. Just go!

Guy

The thing is that I already did it a few weeks ago. If the deductions are meaty I would consider to do an amend if allowed.

please translate.

taxable income= gross income - exemption(s) - deduction(s)
tax = taxable income * tax rate - progressive difference

سيكون لدي مفصل لحم الخنزير والبيرة

@yyy

Yeah, OK, but I was wondering how much I can get back form what I have paid for rent. Are taxes the same for salary and rent? can I get the full taxes (let’s say that it’s just a 10% of what I paid for rent) back? does it depend on something else, like my salary?

Too many questions… if someone knows, please cast some light on this…

You can redo your taxes up to seven years in the past if I remember correctly, need to write a little love letter to the tax authorities explaining how you’re just a dumb foreigner and couldn’t grasp the tax system, now that some clever Taiwanese people explained it all to you you realize the mistakes you made in the past and would like to have them corrected.

That is awesome, because I could claim up to 7 years of rent deductions, which I’m sure can buy me gasoline for a long, long while.

I’m an expert on that matter.

Well, for the second time I’ve been defeated by e-filing. After entering my ARC and passport I get this screen.
inquirty%20code%20sm
According to the instructions, I “may go to the immigration agency’s service stop” to obtain this Aliens Citizen Digital Certificate (“inquiry code”).

Why bother going all the way to immigration when I can stop by the tax office (which never has people waiting in the foreigner line), give them my papers, and they fill out everything for me? Oh well…

1 Like

You must have chosen the wrong option at the very beginning. Did you use the “Use the taxpayer’s [ARC ID No. + Passport No./Residence No./Permit No.]”? It’s the fourth option. Shouldn’t need an inquiry code.

“The good doctor” will do.

I didn’t try that one because it seemed like I would need to enter my exit and entrance dates to/from Taiwan manually. I made a number of international trips in 2017 and I use egate, so I don’t have a record of the dates.

I’ll take a look at the fourth option.

EDIT: Actually, that was the fourth option that I used, the one that asked for the inquiry code. There’s a fifth option that says “Without ID No.” I’ll see what that one is all about.

I did the exact same thing you did, then tried option 4. When it comes to the entrance/exit dates, I just used the default to make it 365 days. I made a couple of trips last year too, but not a big deal.

Edit: After entering your ARC/APRC, Passport, and birthdate, it gives you an option to check if the info matches what they have on record. Maybe try that to make sure everything is good.

1 Like

@Yang_Gui_Zi OK, I think I see where I went wrong. But the instructions for this birthday code thing are strange. Did you have to make one?
order%20printed
In the sample they use the first two letters of the guy’s first name, but the order of names in my passport is last name first. Ugh, I feel like an idiot.

EDIT: DUR…It’s not a required field. Nevermind :-/

This discussion is not exactly motivating me to do teh taxes myself.

If we have to print anything, fuggetdabouttit.