Taiwan test-fires missiles that can hit Chinese cities

hsiadogah,

How do we attempt to do that. Even strong lobby group in Washington is no guarantee USA will always back ROC.

Our deterrents are purchased from the USA, and suppose to be theoretically part of the PRC containment policy.

[quote=“ac_dropout”]Since all major powers on the planet are slowly re-aligning with the PRC. The war game is moot. ROC will find very few allies willing to take on the PRC directly.
[/quote]

there’s only 1 ally that matters. and yes, it is quite capable of taking the prc on directly. :slight_smile:

I’m not for feeding anybody to anybody, but I’m starting to see the virtue in lowering the guns. I’m really starting to believe that as quickly as possible, the US should should sort its pile of concerns out from the rest of the world’s and keep it sorted.

[quote=“Flipper”][quote=“ac_dropout”]Since all major powers on the planet are slowly re-aligning with the PRC. The war game is moot. ROC will find very few allies willing to take on the PRC directly.
[/quote]

there’s only 1 ally that matters. and yes, it is quite capable of taking the prc on directly. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Even in the presidential campaign both candidates have cited given PRC deference in foreign affairs for USA economic gain to varying degree.

In case anyone was curious, it appears that the wan-wan separatist forces have upped the ante with an even longer range missile of a whopping 900 km, placing plenty of targets in the mainland in range. I’m not sure how they managed it, considering its supposed to eb a refit of a Hsieun-Feng anti-ship missile, which originally had only a range of 80km. Still even if they do begin deploying it, I don’t think Beijing will be all that threatened or intimidated. Get this, if the missile does enter deployment, it will only be produced at a rate of 6 per year at a price tag of 100 million NT per missile (ouch, economies of scale factor coming in hard to bite Taiwan in the ass).

taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/ … 2003205480

It’s a start, but considering the PLA is introducing over 10 times that number of missiles per year at what is likely less than a 1/10th of the cost of the Taiwanese missiles it is highly unlikely that the commies feel genuinely threatened.

Apparently most foreign and non-green Taiwanese observers agree that the missiles are a hollow farce. ChannelnewsAsia had this to say (from a former RoC general), “Only the submarines would rank as offensive weapons, but even so, they would not be able to join the navy for the next 15 years,” Shuai said.

He saw Yu’s retaliatory remarks as a “bluff”.

“They were simply aimed to beef up the morale of those people pushing for independence. He was telling them ‘don’t be afraid of China’s threat,’ we are also able to give them a punch on the nose,” Shuai said. "

Time Magazine was even less flattering, here is what some of their commentators had to say.

“The missiles might be emotionally satisfying and politically compelling in Taiwan,” says James Mulvenon, an Asia expert at the Rand Corp., “but they are not in the U.S. national interest.” Michael A. McDevitt, a retired U.S. Navy admiral who is now with the CNA Corp., a Virginia-based think tank, says the deterrent effect is also questionable: Beijing is unlikely to be cowed if it really wants to invade. Offensive missiles for Taiwan are “really stupid,” McDevitt says. That’s one analysis the U.S. and China can probably agree on.

[quote=“communist bandit cmdjing”]In case anyone was curious, it appears that the wan-wan separatist forces have upped the ante with an even longer range missile of a whopping 900 km, placing plenty of targets in the mainland in range. I’m not sure how they managed it, considering its supposed to eb a refit of a Hsieun-Feng anti-ship missile, which originally had only a range of 80km. Still even if they do begin deploying it, I don’t think Beijing will be all that threatened or intimidated. Get this, if the missile does enter deployment, it will only be produced at a rate of 6 per year at a price tag of 100 million NT per missile (ouch, economies of scale factor coming in hard to bite Taiwan in the ass).
[/quote]
I seriously doubt the efficacy of these missiles. I’ve seen similar reports on the internet in the past few days. They all omit the most crucial specs for such a missile: warhead size and guidance system. If they did indeed use the Hsien Feng system as a base, I don’t see how they could put a decent size warhead on the thing. I doubt any of our communist bandit friends like cmdjing will be losing any sleep over these missiles.

On the other hand, they may be something entirely new. They could be something put together from plans transferred from the US. That would jibe with the price tag. Nothing based on the Hsien Feng design should cost anything close to 100 million NT.

Neither does anything in the U.S. inventory. The equivalent U.S. cruise missile, the Tomahawk, has a production cost of well under a million U.S. dollars. My personal likeliest scenario, is that this project is some sort of pork, albeit one designed to appease the Taidu separatists should they ever realize it.

And if you make a smalle rnumber from the blueprints for the tomhawk here, then you will end up with something costing around NT$100m a piece…

900km out of a 80 km anti ship missile… Doubt it… sounds like the US friends gave Taiwan the drawings for the tomahawk to work on…

CCPjing should lose sleep over the chance one of those hitting his bedroom…

100 mill NT=3Mill USD

Maybe $1Mill USD for the missle, 2 Mill USD for the uranium? :smiling_imp:

cmdjing wrote:

They added a zero.

Har Har, funny. However, does anyone have support for this hypothesis that the U.S. gave the wan-wan army designs for a missile similar to a Tomahawk? Any evidence of this at all besides pure conjecture?

So we need proof, whereas you can go without it?

Well, they have come up with a missile able to hit shanghai. and it’s surely not based on a small antiship missile able to go 80km.

They obviously prefer to keep the facts under wraps. Perhaps they kept on developing on the basis of the Skyhorse?