Taiwan the land of cabbage

Does Taiwan import anything good? Or do they just have half rotten fruit and cabbage? Anyone eat anything lately that didn’t taste like ass?

You’re either joking, trolling or misinformed. Taiwan has a huge variety of green vegetables and fruit… much greater than any western country I’ve been to.

1 Like

I’m guessing the OP only goes to cheap and moderately priced restaurants where the only vegetable served is the crappy cabbage with mediocre breaded meats. I usually cook for myself and I find the selection in the supermarkets and markets to be very good.

Trolling for some vegetable haters you got it. What supermarket do you go to? Variety of vegetables where? How do you cook them? You’re right the only veggies I get are covered with oil or boiled leaving all the nutrients in the water.

I just bought three kinds of leafy greens for the family, for the killer price of 10TWD each lot. So, that’s two days’ worth of leafy greens for a family of four for 30TWD. As to how to cook them, I learned A LOT at the cooking class we ran recently, hosted by Taiwanese chef and cooking teacher Ivy Chen http://www.wcoconutdesign.com/wordpress_ivy/. It’s not hard, but definitely clearer with someone showing you vegetable by vegetable. My greens now taste like they are supposed to. Ivy teaches at the Community Services Center quite often, too. If we have another cooking class, I’ll let you know.

Ivy also writes for Centered on Taipei each month. You can find the digital back-issues here: http://www.communitycenter.org.tw/publications/centered-on-taipei/magazine-archive

Just look around - with all their fruits, they just love their fresh juices (and vegetable juices too - bitter melon juice, anyone?). The fruit stands have a wonderful variety of good eating, excellent quality, seasonal fruit - the results of painstaking and highly competitive farmers.

Their vegetable markets are full of beautiful produce (definitely not “just have half rotten fruit and cabbage”, so perhaps the OP should make a point of visiting some) - but some might question the way they prepare and serve that produce in common street restaurants. Perhaps the OP’s original gripe is about that aspect - or neglect of fresh food in some lousy supermarkets?

There are some countries which have a need to import much of the produce they consume, but Taiwan does very well without having to import that much.

P.S. I think maybe we might find some members on this forum who might have recently eaten some ASS that tasted like FRUIT (good or bad)…?!

Well the season for cabbage is coming up, and the greens can be very tasty indeed. Winter tis the season. Anybody moaning abbot fruit or veg in Taiwan doesn’t have a clue. Just had some amazing passion fruit, oranges and grapefruit this week. Awesome stuff.

I should have left fruit outta this. Taiwan does have great fruit I was just thinking about the fruit in the supermarkets. Cabbage is plentiful here or oily boiled vegetables.

7-11 salad looks nice until you eat one bite then f%^$ing cabbage.
Hot pot 90% cabbage
Any soup cabbage

I know a lot of markets have green vegetables, but the way they prepare them here is disgusting. I only like those curly ferns they are kind of crunchy at least. I guess I need to start cooking. Any other way to cook these veggies without eating a slimy green oily pile of poo.

It is much better to cook your own…there is a lot of variety in Taiwan if you like to cook, but if you are buying per-made stuff, it will most often be oily and overcooked.

What’s wrong with cabbage? It’s one of the wonder veggies, full of antioxidants and other nutrients that promote overall good health. Let me know which hot pot places have 90% cabbage, usually I don’t get enough cabbage when I go out for shabu shabu. The Irish and Bruce Lee knew cabbage does a body good. Get a clue and stop eating those nasty lunch boxes

Cabbage is going for 18-20NT$ a head…it’s in season. TIme to get cooking-as well as put it in salads…

[quote]Cabbage is a very economical vegetable that is easy to find in any supermarket and it gives you a huge nutritional bang for your buck. This humble food has always been a mainstay for the poor and in cold climates people of all classes have relied on it to feed themselves through many a winter. (The vegetable is at its best during the fall and winter months, when it is in season, and it stores well for weeks).

The family of vegetables that cabbage belongs to is called the Cruciferae family or the Brassica family and related vegetables include kale, broccoli, collards and Brussels sprouts. Johnny Bowden, a nutritionist, calls cabbage �the most important [vegetable] in the world from the point of view of nutritional benefits and cancer-fighting ability.� Cabbage possesses phytochemicals including sulforaphane, which studies suggest protects the body against cancer-causing free radicals, and indoles, which help metabolize estrogens. It�s also an excellent source of vitamins K and C, and a very good source of dietary fiber, vitamin B6, folate, manganese and Omega 3 fatty acids. Martha Rose Shulman[/quote]

topics.nytimes.com/top/news/heal … h/cabbage/
:thumbsup:

Have you tried asking for 燙青菜?Tang Ching Tsai, that is, blanched vegetables? I used to order this a lot. You can put some Soya sauce paste (Jiang You Gao) on (just a little) for flavor if you want. Most of those hole-in-the-wall places have it if you ask.

Ah, you, good Sir, must be referring to the fruit and veggie department of Carrefour’s Nangang branch :stuck_out_tongue:

Does Taiwan need cabbage? From Indonesia? Maybe just a political move by Indonesia government to show they are helping their own farmers.

Is US$2.72 (~NT$80) per kilogram economical for purchase by Taiwan?

Love your heading,yeah Taiwanese love their greens and so do I, they don’t take much doing in the cooking depends what you want.
Most children and teenagers do not like Cabbage so what group are you?

Home grown fruit prices in Taiwan are extortionate by all means, here in UK we can buy Taiwanese produce cheaper ------- a lot cheaper! how that?