Taiwan to ban single use plastic straws

so this seems to be in effect now? a couple of places didn’t have straws at the weekend. mac Ds was one of them. although the plastic straw was now replaced with a clunky plastic lid that you need to open to sip out of…instead of just drinking out of the cup?
seriously whats the point? the lid probably uses more plastic than the straw.

and if banning straws is a thing can we please remove the f***ing plastic trays from fruit and veg? it serves no purpose only to create more and more crap i need to throw out.

I believe it is. But I think some places are ignoring it.

“seriously whats the point? the lid probably uses more plastic than the straw.”

I would like to see you drive down the street with your McDonald’s drink without a lid :wink:

Clear plastic is easier to recycle, and they have gotten rid of the straw because they have been told to, not because they feel for the environment.

Was in a place the other day with thick paper straws. Seems ok.

You will need to get a prescription use plastic straws in the uk :wink:

“Shops including supermarkets will not be allowed to sell the straws but they will on sale by registered pharmacies in stores and online.”

O hope they are more coherent than this man

What’s the problem, he keeps his water bottles wrapped in plastic in a box full of water in a big bottle in a box, it helps his family cut down on waist. :rofl:

i wonder if these new cup lids go to the recycle bin. The old ones didn’t.

I Just checked on the McDonald’s thread, the photos show they have the recycling symbols on them for polypropylene, so it’s the same process as straws.

ok theres a lid to stop it from spilling, but it now uses as much or more plastic than before. taiwan loves its pointless laws… no doubt they are going to say something like most progressive straw country in asia now.

this is not just taiwan. The world seams to have decided that straws are the next global threat and need to be eliminated at all cost. Next we will have Straw Wardens giving out tickets for public slurping. :cup_with_straw:t

1 Like

apparently its because of some video of a sea turtle that had a bunch of straws stuck up its nose.

hey i’m all for it if more plastic packaging is going to be banned too, but so far it doesn’t look like thats the case at all.

1 Like

They are tackling it one bit at a time, charging for bags, banning straws, I think next on the list is cigarette butts. What is really needed is a cheap viable alternative to plastic, if it’s cheaper and easier than plastic companies will use it.

At least Canada isn’t slow on banning!

Truly he’s not a very qualified PM.

thats the thing though, its not slowly tackling it if you ban straws but still offer the same amount of plastic in a lid. i’m sure cigarette butts will have something equally as pointless and useless. i heard smoking is also going to be banned outside of shops, which is another meaningless law if its not enforced. the govt needs to make these laws actual real grown up people laws, or people will just continue to mock them and less than slow progress will continue on all issues that are not gay marriage.

the plus sides I can see are:
one production process
one item to collect for recycling
one type of plastic for recycling
most lids are clear which is a lot easier to sort than multi coloured items
its not perfect but its a start,

The main problem I have with the new lids is the product designers just copied and adjusted the design for the hot drinks, not taking into account the ice in cold drinks that can block the drinking aperture.

Yeah the cig butts are a nightmare here and completely ignored as a problem.

Why? Because they just copy stuff from overseas.

They don’t look at what the problem is HERE.

1 Like

I just went through the drive thru at KFC. They gave me a soda with the sealed plastic top that you usually punch a straw through…but they told me that they don’t give straws anymore. So I have to peel the plastic back and sip from the cup while driving a car…

This infuriates me.

2 Likes

Plastics are recyclable, most of them anyways. PET, polystyrene, etc are all recyclable and that’s basically 80% of plastics in common use.

We just need a way to separate and sort them and they can be recycled.

Anything else can be burned for fuel or somehow reprocessed.

That is such a good idea, I actually do bring my own metal straw when I go out to avoid the use of plastic straw.