Taiwan to distribute surplus tax revenue, NT$6,000 to every citizen & APRC holder

Vote. Buying.

I sent a message to my MP worker friend.

10 Likes

Considering the US just passed 12 billion in loans and GRANTS for Taiwan to buy weapons, if I were a US citizen in Taiwan who is eligible for citizenship here but for the dual hypocrisy, I would be awfully pissed. And send a message to my congressman or senator

4 Likes

Our voice is not in what we are now but what they need us to be down the line. Their economic lifeline in an increasingly elderly society. If they want anything other than the bottom of the barrel immigrants who stay here because no one else wants them, they better start treating us well.

1 Like

Spite never helps anyone. Spite lets the enemy win.

1 Like

Money locked up with the government and not being used might as well not exist and is not part of the money supply. That is why raising taxes is a potential tool for combating inflation as you are reducing the money supply.

1 Like

That’s the problem though. They might decide that it is more worth it to keep Taiwan as it is like Japan does.

Obviously I agree, but decisionmaking is not always rational.

1 Like

Money that is as you say, ‘locked up’ in the government does exist and is part of the money supply.

1 Like

Would it be spite to ask why taxpayers in America are subsidizing a wealthy citizenry at the expense of American taxpayers in Taiwan?

Because it seems unethical. Getting angry at corruption isn’t spite.

3 Likes

I beg to differ. Any amount of stimulus money pushes up inflation, whether slightly or by a lot. This is stimulus money.

1 Like

What would you rather have? Less democracy in the world?

I prefer using our democracy to talk and argue instead of asking congressmen to throw people to the wolves. We’re not perfect, Taiwan’s not perfect. But we can talk, unlike the alternative.

I won’t help you because you won’t help me is an immature attitude. IMO.

I know from experience that anger and spite lead to poor decisionmaking. I prefer not throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

1 Like

Unlike the western world, Taiwan’s inflation is due to external events. This isn’t going to make any meaningful difference.

1 Like

Maybe in part, but they could stimulate the economy by sharing it with others who live here, or encouraging population growth, or developing the road infrastructure. If it is just a cash payout to voters, well, not simply stimulus…

1 Like

Let’s say they pass this into a law which actually excludes foreign tax payers (right now this is only speculation, although there is quite some chance it might actually be that way) - what would be the right way to challenge this in a legal way (if any)?

With the stimulus vouchers, I can see that there might not have been too much legal ground about having to include all foreign residents - but passing a stimulus to “give back” excess tax revenue and then excluding some tax-payers based on their citizenship seems even more questionable.

4 Likes

I would say that a Taiwan which doesn’t just give the money to voters is more democratic. I would say a country that reciprocates on dual citizenship is less authoritarian.

So, why won’t they help us?

Oh, you don’t think I have any decision making power in this democracy, do you?

Exactly. That was an emergency plan, this is not. This is “excess” tax money.

1 Like

I have never heard of this before. Please send it to help the UK. 6000 can heat a home in the UK for a week.

2 Likes

What are people going to spend their stimulus money on? Let’s be honest: lottery tickets and 7-Eleven snacks. Will this help the economy? Hmm…not really?

1 Like

You have to sue the government. It’s expensive and time consuming. The same sex marriage debacle is an example.

Something like that would need all of us to help pitch in. I am saving myself for a last-resort legal battle for citizenship and would want help from us. I want to set up an office early next month to get organised to lobby for us first.

3 Likes

Given the fact that these are 9/10 times made in TW, I’d say it’d be more helpful.

1 Like